apathy on the BY?Last guy out, | Page 2 | The Boneyard

apathy on the BY?Last guy out,

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The die hards are quitting on this team. This is why nobody is bothering to post.

Reaction Score
I missed the last three games... I find myself in a better mood now. I couldn't take it anymore and I needed a break. I went through the five stages of grief: Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Have been watching/following Uconn since the days of Hugh Greer, George Wigton, Fred Shabel, Burr Carlson, stopped when I was in the service, 73-76, picked up after that, Perno, Calhoun. Have not seen apathy, or incompetence since the Dom Perno era. Much as I liked Ollie, it's time to show hi the door. This club is clueless, helpless, and rudderless. No leadership, no one to take the team on the his shoulders like a Kemba or a Ben Gordon, or Emeka. I will not blame it on the fact that the conference they are in is a confederation of far flung schools, that do not lend itself to any type of rivalry. There is no PC or BC, or Cuse, Georgetown, or St. Johns to excite the fans. No MSG, to hold your conference tournament. No name coaches to make it interesting. It's painful to watch. Maybe it's just that this is the times we live in. Maybe it's the players. These one and dones, no tradition, no loyalty to the program/school. Will a new coach be able to make dramatic useful changes to the program? Will the new coach be able to get players to buy into the program? It's evident that Ollie's plan is worn out, and the players are tuning him out. He has lost his club. One would have hoped that his assistants, most all of them former Calhoun players, who bought into the Calhoun ideals, would have had a greater influence on the players. It did'nt happen. Right now, if Ollie stays, it's a safe assumption that the program will continue to muddle along, and be at the lower end of the AAC, not unlike the old days of their early membership in the old Big East. As the late Betty Davis said......."buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride".

I can relate since I have been watching since Toby. Also, in the service during your time, 1969-1996. So I missed a few games not as much as you would. Anyway, nice post. Maybe one problem is overlooked. Maybe the problem is/was Ollie being friends with his players rather than coaching them. During the JC years you could see he had no friends, he made players. Now don't get me wrong he loved his players. He had no problem getting in their face and giving them a huge hug after the season. Emotional Senior Night. That is why the players respected them. When a player got the hook, he knew why. A new player might wonder why Coach smiled at him and patted him on the shoulder during a practice but game time he saw Coach storming out to the foul line with foam in his mouth screaming .They feared JC, which brought respect. It is just my opinion.

Reaction Score
When our coach repeats the same "we have to execute our game plan better" line after every game, I shake my head and move on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom