apathy on the BY?Last guy out, | The Boneyard

apathy on the BY?Last guy out,

Reaction Score
Where is all the discussion about Uconns battle with Cincy?
The largest thread heading into tourney time outside a game thread is for an apt for rent?

I guess knowing the script before you actually see the play takes away some of the excitement. Did anyone think Uconn could win last night? When was the last time Uconn played a top 50 team and you didn't expect a loss.

This team is cooked. They've given up on Ollie. The fans have given up too.
It sucks. I hope this is the low point. I can't even look at that tired pleading look from Ollie without getting frustrated.

Last guy out, don't forget to turn out the lights and lock the door.

Reaction Score
There's just not much to say at this point. The same mistakes every game; both player and coach, coupled with being badly outmatched in terms of talent and coaching acumen every game. I was putting my cranky-face daughter to bed so missed the vast majority of the first half. Turned the game on, expecting the worst, in time to watch us be down 13. First possession, our floor balance was all out of wack, we tried to run a screen roll, and Anderson threw the ball away. Cinci came down for an easy basket. Next possession, last possession of the half, Anderson dribbled away 20+ seconds and then threw up a desperation 3 that was not even close. That was it for me.

I still love UConn basketball. I will still follow them. But I cannot watch us lose in the manner that we do. Not in the sense that we are getting blown out. But that it's the same bad movie every. single. game. I watched with great joy when we went 18-15 Rip's freshmen year, go 17-14 w/ frosh AJ et al, and even in 2010 when the seniors quit and we pathetically lost 16 games. I saw something there. I had faith that the players that were there were going to get better and that the staff and was going to fix things. I don't have that right now and as long as this staff is in place, I have zero faith it is going to get better.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I thought the start of the game to the half was a "not bad showing" for our boys considering Adams wasn't there. Fighting for rebounds shooting timely three's. Then the second half. Well that was it. When an opposing team drains 3-4 3's in a row it's all over but closing the concession booths. One thing I noticed, and I am sure I will here about it, was a number of fast breaks by Cincy, when the player all alone, could of put on a dunking show to bring the house down. I saw nice easy layups instead of show. At times I thought they tried to go easy on our boys but could not help but score. Unless my TV is losing sound somehow or there were mannequins in the stands. You can say what you want about Cronin but he doesn't stop coaching no matter what the score. He has a beef with the officials, he will let them know. Same as JC and Geno. I saw Carlton just skip down court a couple of times.

Reaction Score
I'm just hoping for a .500 or better finish this year. A large ask at this point, but hopefully Jalen can get healthy and they go on a right proper tear! They aren't going to beat Houston but they at least have a chance in their other two games, and yes, I understand that means they'd have to win two games in the AAC Tourney. I like a challenge!

Reaction Score
There's not much to say when nothing ever changes. Every game is another waking-up to Sonny and Cher. Difference is, in "Groundhog Day" Bill Murray knew he was experiencing the same thing over and over again. KO doesn't seem to know. It seems to surprise him every time.

Reaction Score
Have been watching/following Uconn since the days of Hugh Greer, George Wigton, Fred Shabel, Burr Carlson, stopped when I was in the service, 73-76, picked up after that, Perno, Calhoun. Have not seen apathy, or incompetence since the Dom Perno era. Much as I liked Ollie, it's time to show hi the door. This club is clueless, helpless, and rudderless. No leadership, no one to take the team on the his shoulders like a Kemba or a Ben Gordon, or Emeka. I will not blame it on the fact that the conference they are in is a confederation of far flung schools, that do not lend itself to any type of rivalry. There is no PC or BC, or Cuse, Georgetown, or St. Johns to excite the fans. No MSG, to hold your conference tournament. No name coaches to make it interesting. It's painful to watch. Maybe it's just that this is the times we live in. Maybe it's the players. These one and dones, no tradition, no loyalty to the program/school. Will a new coach be able to make dramatic useful changes to the program? Will the new coach be able to get players to buy into the program? It's evident that Ollie's plan is worn out, and the players are tuning him out. He has lost his club. One would have hoped that his assistants, most all of them former Calhoun players, who bought into the Calhoun ideals, would have had a greater influence on the players. It did'nt happen. Right now, if Ollie stays, it's a safe assumption that the program will continue to muddle along, and be at the lower end of the AAC, not unlike the old days of their early membership in the old Big East. As the late Betty Davis said......................"buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride".

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
There's just not much to say at this point. The same mistakes every game; both player and coach,

Pretty much this. I keep on watching the same rerun on loop.

Reaction Score
Tired old song playing over and over again. Used to be much chatter and posting before and after the game. I'm not adding anything new but Apathy is all over the boneyard.

Reaction Score
As Dandy Don used to sing on MNF "turn out the lights, the party's over"..

Bad team basketball, no team character, no basketball IQ, no basketball skills and joke of a coach. Worse record in 30 years, yet the fans are expected to watch? Common man.

Reaction Score
when you're getting reamed by a pineapple on a weekly basis there's no need to send postcards to the folks back at home.

Reaction Score
If the coach doesn't believe in the players he recruited to reconstruct the roster, then what are we to do?

Jalen Adams out sick, UConn men routed by Cincinnati

Quoting KO... “Yeah, but the thing I’m disappointed about is we have to follow and execute the game plan,” said Ollie. “The game plan was being unselfish, shortening the game, and I thought we took some bad shots that led to runouts for them. If the walk-ons are playing, I really don’t care — you have to follow the game plan. And we didn’t accomplish that.”

“We’ll try to find five guys that will follow the game plan.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the coach doesn't believe in the players he recruited to reconstruct the roster, then what are we to do?

Jalen Adams out sick, UConn men routed by Cincinnati

Quoting KO... “Yeah, but the thing I’m disappointed about is we have to follow and execute the game plan,” said Ollie. “The game plan was being unselfish, shortening the game, and I thought we took some bad shots that led to runouts for them. If the walk-ons are playing, I really don’t care — you have to follow the game plan. And we didn’t accomplish that.”

I am not one to give Ollie a pass, but last night he simply could not pull Vital or Anderson against the Cinci press, and yet he needed to do that because those guys were keys in "not following the game plan". I thought several young guys stepped up and made some shots and hustled. Terry looked much more active and aggressive than he has in recent games. Maybe he's finally comfortable that his knee isn't going to be reinjured.

This wasn't a game they could win with Adams. Without him it was utterly hopeless.

Reaction Score
I didn't even watch. I've watched every game for years. I'm more likely to watch UHart or URI at this point

Reaction Score
Did anyone see late in the game, Vital thought he got fouled and sat on the floor for 5-10 seconds to yell at a ref who was running away to the next play?

Reaction Score
Dead horse.

I had the game on for a few minutes while I made dinner. Between the gross NKU court, funky camera angle, us wearing dark grey while Cincy wore black...eh, who am I kidding? None of that mattered; I can barely stomach us with Jalen in the lineup, there's no way I was watching us without him.

Reaction Score
There was a very spirited pregame discussion yesterday. It was between those in the -15 camp vs those in the -25 + camp.

Reaction Score
Have been watching/following Uconn since the days of Hugh Greer, George Wigton, Fred Shabel, Burr Carlson, stopped when I was in the service, 73-76, picked up after that, Perno, Calhoun. Have not seen such apathy, or incompetence since the Dom Perno era.

I go back a little further than you, my friend, seeing my first game in Feb 1953. I doubt that Perno, or any previous UConn coach, ever put a team on the floor as fundamentally inept as this one -- I mean, as unschooled in the basics of the game. I think Perno was far from incompetent. He was certainly an excellent recruiter of regional talent. His recruiting just never attained the national reach that playing in the Big East required. This indeed led to losing seasons and the apathy you mention. Calhoun was much in the same place going into the 1989-90 season, and then his pipeline somehow managed to bring in Nadev Henefeld, an Israeli "semi-pro" turned college freshman. With "The Gaza Stripper" winning national attention, UConn transformed itself, in one year, from a still-regional program whose stars were Conn-NY-NJ natives like Smith, Burrell and George to a national recruiter that could attract Donyell and company. What might have happened to poor Dom Perno if he had uncovered a Henefeld?

Which is to say that, given the level of competition and the legacy of recruiting each coach inherited, Perno stands up well next to KO. I submit that KO stands in a class of incompetence by himself.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
One of my guilty pleasure movies and a comedic reference I make ALL the time. Kind of sums up watching our games.

groundhog-day-1.jpg

Reaction Score

And then 'there's this quote... And it's not the first time we've heard it this year. The players do not buy in to what KO is selling. There seems to be a total disconnect between players and coach. It took me a while to traverse to the "anti-KO" side, but my god, how could anyone truly think that there is still hope here? I like the guy. He was a very good player for us, a great ambassador in the NBA, and then led us to one of the most memborable post-season runs in CBB history. But it's over.

Reaction Score
And then 'there's this quote... And it's not the first time we've heard it this year. The players do not buy in to what KO is selling. There seems to be a total disconnect between players and coach. It took me a while to traverse to the "anti-KO" side, but my god, how could anyone truly think that there is still hope here? I like the guy. He was a very good player for us, a great ambassador in the NBA, and then led us to one of the most memborable post-season runs in CBB history. But it's over.

When you construct a roster that only has 4 guards (one of whom is chronically injured) that doesn't afford the coach much ability to pull guys who play selfishly. So KO may not be happy with selfish play, but he certainly handcuffed himself in terms of being able to do anything about it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There's just not much to say at this point. The same mistakes every game; both player and coach, coupled with being badly outmatched in terms of talent and coaching acumen every game. I was putting my cranky-face daughter to bed so missed the vast majority of the first half. Turned the game on, expecting the worst, in time to watch us be down 13. First possession, our floor balance was all out of wack, we tried to run a screen roll, and Anderson threw the ball away. Cinci came down for an easy basket. Next possession, last possession of the half, Anderson dribbled away 20+ seconds and then threw up a desperation 3 that was not even close. That was it for me.

I still love UConn basketball. I will still follow them. But I cannot watch us lose in the manner that we do. Not in the sense that we are getting blown out. But that it's the same bad movie every. single. game. I watched with great joy when we went 18-15 Rip's freshmen year, go 17-14 w/ frosh AJ et al, and even in 2010 when the seniors quit and we pathetically lost 16 games. I saw something there. I had faith that the players that were there were going to get better and that the staff and was going to fix things. I don't have that right now and as long as this staff is in place, I have zero faith it is going to get better.
That moment when the only thing to say is, "Well, lack of faith is a kind of faith, isn't it?," but you don't want to be 'that guy," but there's no other guy to be.

At this point I just want us to collectively show up here as a fanbase that doesn't completely turn off next year's prospective players and coaches. Here, I'd like to have faith, and yet, sadly, there are still posters who keep shooting long after the body has stopped moving.

This season really does need a bulletproof coffin. Keep it under 20 losses and lay it to rest.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping for a .500 or better finish this year. A large ask at this point, but hopefully Jalen can get healthy and they go on a right proper tear! They aren't going to beat Houston but they at least have a chance in their other two games, and yes, I understand that means they'd have to win two games in the AAC Tourney. I like a challenge!
No chance. The team has quit on KO, the fans and each other. Look at St. John's. They lost their first 9 Big East games but battled and lost close games. Then they got it together and we're world beaters for a couple weeks playing only 6 players. Would anyone be shocked if Saint John's went on a run on the Big East Tourney and made the NCAA Tournament? I wouldn't and I wouldn't be surprised if they won a game or too. The difference between our team and them is heart and toughness. They battle and we don't. We'll be lucky to win one game in the AAC. This team has checked out and reminds me of years under JC when the team went to the NIT and lost first round home games because they didn't want to be there. That's how the AAC will be.

Reaction Score
With all the things to watch on TV, including the Uconn hockey team trying to fight for position in the playoffs, I just cant bring myself to watch us get blown out in a meaningless game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom