AP top 25 to be unveiled this morning at 9 am | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP top 25 to be unveiled this morning at 9 am

Reaction Score
AEH is an excellent outside shooter. Hopefully, whatever happened at UConn is a lesson learned because I think her new coach is no different in his expectations than Geno- which I assume they discussed before he accepted her. But, she was definitely worth a chance for him considering the lack of outside shooting.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Auriemma is used to trying to come up with struggles for his team to overcome since they’re usually dominant, but he understands that this year is different.

“What’s the line I’ve been using lately? It’s unlucky to be lucky for too long. It’s an old Italian saying that at some point, you’re going to be like everybody else. For the longest time, we’ve not been like anybody else, and now we find ourselves in the position where we’re not just like anybody else, don’t get me wrong, but we’re not what we used to be and that’s going to take some adjustment.”

Reaction Score
Personally, I dont think UConn is a top 5 team, at least in the 1st half of the season. Little depth. Lost too much, & the 2 returning seniors will have to play different roles as a result. Who knows how much KLS will be impacted from surgery. I'm not a Dangerfield fan at all. Lets see how the 2 freshman contribute, but the track record for freshman is not good. MW will have to take a big leap. She looked totally lost as a freshman. I see an Elite Eight exit for this team, with about 5 to 10 losses. We need a DT type performance (her senior year) to carry the team to a championship. I just dont think this current team has that kind of player. Maybe KLS if she's healthy, but I wouldnt bet on it.

Reaction Score
Exhibition games really dont mean a ton but that's a great sign for her. Hope she has a great senior year and is back to form.

Doesn't mean a ton for team's not named ________ ?

Reaction Score
Personally, I dont think UConn is a top 5 team, at least in the 1st half of the season. Little depth. Lost too much, & the 2 returning seniors will have to play different roles as a result. Who knows how much KLS will be impacted from surgery. I'm not a Dangerfield fan at all. Lets see how the 2 freshman contribute, but the track record for freshman is not good. MW will have to take a big leap. She looked totally lost as a freshman. I see an Elite Eight exit for this team, with about 5 to 10 losses. We need a DT type performance (her senior year) to carry the team to a championship. I just dont think this current team has that kind of player. Maybe KLS if she's healthy, but I wouldnt bet on it.
Let’s look at this another way. KLS was an AA playing all year with an injury that required surgery. Danger is one of the best point guards in the country. Walker will make a sophomore leap. And Williams is likely to do way better as a 1st year than Walker was. So which 10 teams do you think might beat UConn? I’ll give you ND and Baylor. Maybe an upset in the AAC. Which other 7 would you pick?

Reaction Score
Or, who should be ahead of them?

I would place Stanford, Oregon State, and Mississippi State ahead of Baylor. In part, because OSU has recently taken Baylor down twice now in the NCAA Tournament. If you look at the teams I placed ahead of Baylor, there is a common theme: fantastic coaches who preach defense first, and in particular, team defense. Baylor also plays in a soft conference that is not known for excellent defensive teams. Defense matters when you get to the NCAA Tournament. Baylor has a much better OOC schedule this year, so perhaps that will prepare them better for the NCAA Tournament this year. I will say, I did forgot about Chloe Jackson, who, is a fine player at the guard position. I don't put much credence in freshman recruiting classes, so that means very little to me.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Doesn't mean a ton for team's not named ________ ?

If someone has a big game in an exhibition it isnt a strong indication that they'll be a standout as the year progresses. Last year Mikayla Vaughn scored 30 in her first exhibition game for Notre Dame and then was a role player before her ACL. Turner scoring 18 in an exhibition is a great, but it's a lot different than putting up those numbers against a top 10 team.

Reaction Score
If someone has a big game in an exhibition it isnt a strong indication that they'll be a standout as the year progresses. Last year Mikayla Vaughn scored 30 in her first exhibition game for Notre Dame and then was a role player before her ACL. Turner scoring 18 in an exhibition is a great, but it's a lot different than putting up those numbers against a top 10 team.

Role player ? She was the 6th man on that team lol . So if C. Williams scores 30 against Van guard that wont be a big deal ? ;)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Role player ? She was the 6th man on that team lol . So if C. Williams scores 30 against Van guard that wont be a big deal ? ;)

Turner scoring 18 points against an overmatched exhibition team does not prove she's back to All-American form.

Reaction Score
I would place Stanford, Oregon State, and Mississippi State ahead of Baylor. In part, because OSU has recently taken Baylor down twice now in the NCAA Tournament. If you look at the teams I placed ahead of Baylor, there is a common theme: fantastic coaches who preach defense first, and in particular, team defense. Baylor also plays in a soft conference that is not known for excellent defensive teams. Defense matters when you get to the NCAA Tournament. Baylor has a much better OOC schedule this year, so perhaps that will prepare them better for the NCAA Tournament this year. I will say, I did forgot about Chloe Jackson, who, is a fine player at the guard position. I don't put much credence in freshman recruiting classes, so that means very little to me.

The player's that took down Baylor (Gulich, Hamblin) are no longer there. So with current roster's intact Baylor should be top 5. You are trying to use last few seasons as a reason why they should be further down, but that has low credibility since most of those players are no longer there. We are talking about today, not yesterday. If that were the case the rankings would be different. But we are talking about 2018-2019 season. You place Stanford a team that Baylor beat very easily at home last year ahead of them? Your logic seems crazy. You also want knock them for the defense in the "past" go check the defensive stats. No.1 in Defensive Field Goal Percentage, No. 1 in Blocked Shots, No.1 in Defensive rebounds for 2017-2018. I think Baylor knows how to play defense. Where was Stanford's defense when they played Baylor last year?

You also want to shade the Big 12 Also, please note this week conference has produced 3 NCAA Champions tied with the 3 SEC in the last 18 years. Only conference that has more is the obvious one I don't even have to name. You are also trying to use history in reasoning. Also, when was the last time a PAC-12 team won the National Title? Hmmm that defense they have is sooo much better.

Reaction Score
Turner scoring 18 points against an overmatched exhibition team does not prove she's back to All-American form.

Ok you switched up from Turner to Vaughn now back to Turner. Her scoring 18 points proves alot . Whether you like it or not , she will be a force for the Irish as well as Vaughn & Shepard. If Christyn Williams or Megan Walker score 18 pts sunday im pretty sure this board will be LIT full of "Next Legend" "FOY" winner talk for sure . Let Turner shine , the double standard is kind of annoying . The girl sat out literally a year and half and 1st game back scores 18 Pts 8 rebs 2 blks . Thats an accomplishment period no need to downplay the performace its scary i know. ND will be good enough that they most likely wont need her at AA form , but if so the extra bonus will just make them even more unbeatable .

Reaction Score
It's been 25 years since a PAC-12 has won. So if history says anything I'd bet on someone from a conference that has won National Championship in the last 25 years, obviously they are doing something right.

Reaction Score
Tell that to Lauren Cox who looked slow and mediocre as a frosh before becoming one of the better post players in the country as a sophomore. Or DT who didnt win FOY in her own conference and choked in the Final Four before winning 3 straight titles. Or Dangerfield or Collier or KLS...all highly ranked players who really blossomed after their freshman year.

Let's have a 3x3 tournament.

You get Jordan Hosey, DeJanae Boykin, and Ashley Hearn.
I'll take Megan Gustafson, Anriel Howard, and Bridget Carleton.

Clearly your team is better since you have 3 top-20 players and my 3 were not in the top 100.

Reaction Score
The player's that took down Baylor (Gulich, Hamblin) are no longer there. So with current roster's intact Baylor should be top 5. You are trying to use last few seasons as a reason why they should be further down, but that has low credibility since most of those players are no longer there. We are talking about today, not yesterday. If that were the case the rankings would be different. But we are talking about 2018-2019 season. You place Stanford a team that Baylor beat very easily at home last year ahead of them? Your logic seems crazy. You also want knock them for the defense in the "past" go check the defensive stats. No.1 in Defensive Field Goal Percentage, No. 1 in Blocked Shots, No.1 in Defensive rebounds for 2017-2018. I think Baylor knows how to play defense. Where was Stanford's defense when they played Baylor last year?

You also want to shade the Big 12 Also, please note this week conference has produced 3 NCAA Champions tied with the 3 SEC in the last 18 years. Only conference that has more is the obvious one I don't even have to name. You are also trying to use history in reasoning. Also, when was the last time a PAC-12 team won the National Title? Hmmm that defense they have is sooo much better.

Hey, I'm not down on Baylor. There a quality club, that has underachieved. With their OOC schedule, that should help them. I'm looking forward to the ASU vs Baylor game on November 11. BTW: Hamblin & Gulich didn't take down Baylor, The entire OSU Team took down Baylor...that was the point of my post

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee has exhibition game Monday night vs Carson Newman. The first look at this team. I'll be looking how the freshman look, and the returning players. To see how they look different from last year.

Reaction Score
Tennessee has exhibition game Monday night vs Carson Newman. The first look at this team. I'll be looking how the freshman look, and the returning players. To see how they look different from last year.
Not sold , they will turn it over 40 times per game and score 60 PPG . Rennia will have to hold down the scoring in which i dont doubt she can do , but i dont think she can alone . Evina Westbrook will be the player to watch as to see what improvements to her game have been made. I hear alot of hoopla about summer workouts and getting better but history says.............................

Reaction Score

Baylor had one last week and one tomorrow.

The Freshmen all got good minutes. Smith was the standout of the Freshmen.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Not sold , they will turn it over 40 times per game and score 60 PPG . Rennia will have to hold down the scoring in which i dont doubt she can do , but i dont think she can alone . Evina Westbrook will be the player to watch as to see what improvements to her game have been made. I hear alot of hoopla about summer workouts and getting better but history says.........
We already know Tennessee will win this game. Yes Davis will be improved. Westbrook who started as a true freshman. That's not easy at the point guard. She has a lot more experience coming into the season.
She will also be improved. The freshman I think will have the biggest impact is Massingill.

Reaction Score
Let's have a 3x3 tournament.

You get Jordan Hosey, DeJanae Boykin, and Ashley Hearn.
I'll take Megan Gustafson, Anriel Howard, and Bridget Carleton.

Clearly your team is better since you have 3 top-20 players and my 3 were not in the top 100.

Fact check: Gustafson was ranked #80 by ESPN and Howard #100.............;)

Reaction Score
We already know Tennessee will win this game. Yes Davis will be improved. Westbrook who started as a true freshman. That's not easy at the point guard. She has a lot more experience coming into the season.
She will also be improved. The freshman I think will have the biggest impact is Massingill.

Im banking on Z. Green , ive watched her play in HS a few times very impressive with her mid range. Massengill is long but doesn't seem aggressive enough the few times i watched her in HS . Hopefully that has since changed ! :)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Baylor had one last week and one tomorrow.

The Freshmen all got good minutes. Smith was the standout of the Freshmen.
That's good. The big question I have about Baylor. Is how will they do at the point guard this year?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Im banking on Z. Green , ive watched her play in HS a few times very impressive with her mid range. Massengill is long but doesn't seem aggressive enough the few times i watched her in HS . Hopefully that has since changed ! :)
Yes Z. Green has speed and is athletic. I think she will be effective on the press.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom