AP Source: Big East football keeps $100m in split | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Source: Big East football keeps $100m in split

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
My guess would be that in its absence there would not be any incoming schools.

But, what I think is really important here is that this gives us increased flexibility in the CR game. What I think gets lost in this is at that CR realignment is about business for the TV networks and the conferences, it is not the fantasy league our bootleg drinking friends in Appalachia play it as. With this kind of padding we can afford to negotiate a much more modest package with a league than makes financial sense for say UVA, UNC, GA Tech, etc.

Let's put this into perspective with some hard numbers:

ACC exit fee may drop to $35M (higher is better, but lets be realistic)
B1G Contract currently pays $20M, estimated by many sources to jump to $30M in 2017.
ACC Contract, on average for next 15 years, is 17.1 (I know it is backloaded, but for analysis we can leave it at 17).
And let's assume that conferences are looking at a 15 year horizon (10 seems short given the length of the contracts, but anything longer that 15 seems to uncertain).

So, if UVA or UNC were to jump to the B1G they would start out in the hole $35M so of course they would demand a full cut right up front. But, even with that, the differential in TV money would not bring them back to break even until 2019 so they would surely want a lump payment up front. For argument, if they also demand a three-year payback period on that cost to be generated by TV money and a lump sum payment such a payment would cost the B1G an extra $23M ($10M if the payback was 4 years - the new TV deal closes the gap fast).

Compare that to UConn who will start +$30M so will need no help with exit fees, nor would they factor into our business case. On this basis we would be able to offer something like: 10% share of TV money for our first league season, increasing 10% per year for 10 years until we are full members. The benefits to us are too obvious to explain, but this is also a very generous deal for the B1G given what we know about our ability to drive ratings, carriage fees, and the fact that we would not exceed $10M in TV revenue until 2018.

In net, UVA/UNC teams will cost the B1G, over the 15 years, $105M more per school than UConn - and with an upfront payment as much as $130M - per school. To put it another way, is UVA/UNC worth $130M more than UConn? I don't know the answer, but the further you can push the spread the more likely the answer will eventually be No and this payment allows us to push the spread. Hell, I would even propose that UConn sign up for our current TV deal paid through the B1G, with the 10% vesting per year growing in the background so that on year 7 we are 70% member which pushes the spread up as high as $170M!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If any of this money goes to anything except the football program and the basketball facility, UConn will have sorely misused its funds.

Reaction Score
I mean, imagine this:

We stay in this thole conference for 2 years, collect our $30M, make headway toward AAU, complete new BBall facility, WIN (Football and mens BBall), then BAM B1G/ACC conference invite for 2016/2017. How freaking awesome would that be. Basically be where everyone else is at +30M. Makes up for the 2 years lost in the thole conference.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
We share the money with incoming school to make up for the smaller tv contract we got.

Or translated: we pay Aresco $1M per year. Aresco fcucking sucks at his job. We pay incoming schools to make up for his "work." Aresco puts out rumor of tournament in Hartford. Aresco knows he sucks at his job.

And I am going to preemptively dismiss any influence he had on the C7 money - that was all because of Fox's motivation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
C'mon - a few mil for baseball and hockey facilities won't hurt.
...and will most likely help. When you are being seriously considered, a decent presentation with picts of Burton, Shenkman, the BBPF, a new baseball, facility, new hockey facility, epanion plans for the Rent sure makes us look pretty committed.

Reaction Score
Of course Aresco gets credit. He was negotiating the deal. He capitalized on the circumstances for success. Had he caved early on the name or timeframe, there would not be the positive dollar outcome for UConn. For the CYO 7 to forego funds for the name and early exit to FOX1 is a great result considering the options and I would say surpasses what most thought we would be getting. He wasn't perfect but he's not quite the dunce (nor is Herbst and Manuel) that some like to portray.

Reaction Score
I hope this is true. We got the big payday by staying in the crappy conference short term. We have to use the money to expand the Rent for the next conference. Meanwhile, Susan needs to do everything she can to get us into the AAU. Warde needs to get his act together and get us some huge OOC games both on the basketball and football side. We just need to keep it going at a high level while waiting for that invite.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If any of this money goes to anything except the football program and the basketball facility, UConn will have sorely misused its funds.

The majority of the money should be invested in the Big 3- Football, M Bball and W Bball.

But, that's enough money to take care of those three and build up the baseball and hockey programs.

And, there should be money to put away to invest to fund future scholarships.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I mean, imagine this:

We stay in this thole conference for 2 years, collect our $30M, make headway toward AAU, complete new BBall facility, WIN (Football and mens BBall), then BAM B1G/ACC conference invite for 2016/2017. How freaking awesome would that be. Basically be where everyone else is at +30M. Makes up for the 2 years lost in the thole conference.

i mean imagine this
1) JC goes on the road and gets 20mil form the bball crew. a select few thats pocket change to...we are fully funded for the bball facility and other stuff in that project. we build the bball facilty for 2014 fall ready.
2) in 2014 we move all bball games to hartford and give that arena 10 more years of existance. thats 40-50 games in bball. play all puck games there also.
3)announce plans to study a on campus stadium and infrastructure the whole deal. throw out a couple bs drawings of possible stuff
4) rip the bubble off gampel and steel bean the top for a 4-5kish puck rink. very cheap/easy to do compared to building a barn.
5) when thats done move puck on campus full time
6)its 2015/16 and we are now in the acc or b10 or our cr situation is all set.
7) its 2018. do not sell the naming rights to the rent. instea dsell the rights and the whole place to the mls for 75mil. give them a ct gurantee that not other pro sports will be in the state. the rules are they can not expand it for 15 years(if they ever would anyway...) and that the state is going to build that amll and cap all around it...uconn has the right to rent the field form the mls team for fall games until its stadium is finished in 2020. we literally rent the rent for 2 years. its a nice going away party.
8) build hihways from hartford to storrs and other key ones up. super 7 type things. build a 60k on campus stadium. open it in 2020. cost 150mil.
9)anounce at midnight madness that year a 15k arena going into storrs for both bball programs. no puck to be played in it so the seating and setip is 100% bball focus making it a great place. its built soon, by 2025 at the latest. bball leaves hartford for good.
10) knock down the xl and lite the ruble on fire. let every uconn fan act like a terrorist. give us stick form the uconn forrest so that we can walk up to the fire and beat it to show how much we hated the xl. anger on anger ='s beating something already bad with a stick.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
i mean imagine this
1) JC goes on the road and gets 20mil form the bball crew. a select few thats pocket change to...we are fully funded for the bball facility and other stuff in that project. we build the bball facilty for 2014 fall ready.
2) in 2014 we move all bball games to hartford and give that arena 10 more years of existance. thats 40-50 games in bball. play all puck games there also.
3)announce plans to study a on campus stadium and infrastructure the whole deal. throw out a couple bs drawings of possible stuff
4) rip the bubble off gampel and steel bean the top for a 4-5kish puck rink. very cheap/easy to do compared to building a barn.
5) when thats done move puck on campus full time
6)its 2015/16 and we are now in the acc or b10 or our cr situation is all set.
7) its 2018. do not sell the naming rights to the rent. instea dsell the rights and the whole place to the mls for 75mil. give them a ct gurantee that not other pro sports will be in the state. the rules are they can not expand it for 15 years(if they ever would anyway...) and that the state is going to build that amll and cap all around it...uconn has the right to rent the field form the mls team for fall games until its stadium is finished in 2020. we literally rent the rent for 2 years. its a nice going away party.
8) build hihways from hartford to storrs and other key ones up. super 7 type things. build a 60k on campus stadium. open it in 2020. cost 150mil.
9)anounce at midnight madness that year a 15k arena going into storrs for both bball programs. no puck to be played in it so the seating and setip is 100% bball focus making it a great place. its built soon, by 2025 at the latest. bball leaves hartford for good.
10) knock down the xl and lite the ruble on fire. let every uconn fan act like a terrorist. give us stick form the uconn forrest so that we can walk up to the fire and beat it to show how much we hated the xl. anger on anger ='s beating something already bad with a stick.

Building a 60K stadium from scratch in Storrs will cost double that- at least.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Of course Aresco gets credit. He was negotiating the deal. He capitalized on the circumstances for success. Had he caved early on the name or timeframe, there would not be the positive dollar outcome for UConn. For the CYO 7 to forego funds for the name and early exit to FOX1 is a great result considering the options and I would say surpasses what most thought we would be getting. He wasn't perfect but he's not quite the dunce (nor is Herbst and Manuel) that some like to portray.

I think you are giving him wayyyy too much credit here. The TV deal was his opportunity to show his stuff and he failed. This contract is the product of circumstances. Consider: Fox needs to get these teams in the fold as the Big East as soon as possible if they are going to start wrangling TV contracts, so there were very motivated buyers. And second, and what is most important, is that they money being fought over wasn't earned in any significant measure, by the C7. So what Aresco did was get money from the C7 that really wasn't there money in the first place so that they could leave and get more money elsewhere.

I do agree that this is a good outcome for UConn, Cinci, USF, but I just don't think it bestows and particular skill upon Aresco. Especially now that we have to carve off some of that money to get teams into the league because his TV contract sucked.

Reaction Score
Aresco is just slowing the rate at which the ship is plummeting to the bottom of the ocean.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Building a 60K stadium from scratch in Storrs will cost double that- at least.

u have to factor in me and all my imaginary friends doing a lot of the hard labor 247 for free...

Reaction Score
u have to factor in me and all my imaginary friends doing a lot of the hard labor 247 for free...

Word on the avenue is that even your imaginary friends think you have issues.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
ngbbs4da66263edcd2.jpeg

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Word on the avenue is that even your imaginary friends think you have issues.

i mean we fight a good amount but we always have make up butt sex so its all good.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Imagine me banging Kate Upton. Daily. And my wife being ok with this arrangement.

This is more a more likely scenario!!!

why bring your wife into this?

Reaction Score
Ya know I wish this was possible. A redo would be great.
"Hold down" the northeast with uconn and temple
Ucf and usf in Florida
Smu and Houston in Texas
Boise and sdsu out west
Plus cinci and I guess Memphis.

10 team league hits most recruiting grounds. No one sucking at the teet. It would have been fine. Effng tulane man.

You know, that's pretty good lemonade...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Paid in $5 mil worth of beer. Then you wind up with a stadium that looks like this:
bad_architecture_nouvelny.gif

Or this:

building+by+las+vegas+outlet+malls+and+umc+july+2009+035.JPG

Reaction Score
You know you sukk when you have to pay Tulane, ECU and SMU to join your conference.

Holdover members Connecticut, Cincinnati and South Florida will get the biggest share, but the new football members -- Central Florida, Houston, SMU, Memphis, Temple, East Carolina, Tulane and Navy -- also will receive a share of the $100 million in exit fees to help compensate for the lower-than-expected worth of the media rights deal

They're getting paid for dragging down our take? Yeah I know without them there's no league.

Reaction Score
Fans South and West of Hartford would actually need a way to bypass Hartford for travel to be less of a nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom