AP SEC Player of the year A'ja Wilson | The Boneyard

AP SEC Player of the year A'ja Wilson

Reaction Score
I watched the tape of the UConn game when I got home from it last night, and the ESPN announcers all but anointed A'ja NPOY. It's hard to argue with their reasoning of her value and uniqueness. And I agreed with that assessment of her being NPOY up to a couple of weeks ago. But now I think Lou is playing a better all-round game than anyone in WCBB. Last night there were so many little things that just dazzled. She's put it all together. A'ja is still the greatest force in WCBB and would certainly be drafted higher than Lou, but Lou is the better player.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I watched the tape of the UConn game when I got home from it last night, and the ESPN announcers all but anointed A'ja NPOY. It's hard to argue with their reasoning of her value and uniqueness. And I agreed with that assessment of her being NPOY up to a couple of weeks ago. But now I think Lou is playing a better all-round game than anyone in WCBB. Last night there were so many little things that just dazzled. She's put it all together. A'ja is still the greatest force in WCBB and would certainly be drafted higher than Lou, but Lou is the better player.
Yes, Debbie Antonelli made sure that she was given her "A'ja is the greatest WBB player in college" soapbox again last night, on another National TV audience. Thanks ESPN for continuing to support A'ja. I am only sorry that Holly wasn't there to chime in. (I like Holly but more so during her softball broadcasts.) I have yet to listen to a Debbie A announced game in which she has not given the same speech, even if she wasn't playing. :rolleyes:

Too bad the voters don't use the Geno criteria but then if they did, 9 out of 10 years, it would have to be a UConn player, which seems right to me....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Vivians got screwed

To me, Wilson is the rightful POY, no question.

upload_2018-2-27_10-2-1.png

More points at similar efficiency. Way more rebounds and blocks. That's not surprising for a post compared with a wing, but Vivians isn't getting tons of assists and steals to make up for it.

I guess that Vivians doesn't have to rack up big stats because she's got a better supporting cast. McCowan is gobbling up those rebounds, for example.

On the other, hand Wilson has a better true shooting percentage than Vivians and everybody knows she is South Carolina's #1 option (and probably options 2 and 3, as well). If it were just a lack of teammates propping up Wilson, I would expect high scoring on low efficiency. But that's not the case. Her usage is through the roof but her TS% is still rock-solid.

Reaction Score
Tough call. Both are outstanding. Watching the last South Carolina game vs Tennessee, and you could understand how much South Carolina needs (and depends) on Wilson. Not sure how Mississippi State would hold up without Vivians? In any case not an easy call. Today, espn anointed Sabrina I. as the NCAA Player of the Week. I'm a HUGE Sabrina fan, but she wasn't even player of the week in the PAC12. Marie Gulich (Oregon State) was the PAC12 Player of the Week. Go figure!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While it is essential to be a conference POY in order to be considered as a NPOY, the National Awards will ultimately be determined by play in conference tournaments as well as the first few rounds of the Big Dance.

In Wilson’s case, there is some concern that her vertigo problems may be more than temporary in nature. According to Dawn yesterday, Wilson has experienced vertigo several times before, usually in the offseason. At this point, Dawn is hoping to have Wilson back for the SEC tournament, but that is not guaranteed.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
First Team All-SEC
Raigyne Louis LSU
Teaira McCowan Mississippi State
Victoria Vivians Mississippi State
Sophie Cunningham Missouri
A'ja Wilson South Carolina
Jaime Nared Tennessee
Mercedes Russell Tennessee
Chennedy Carter Texas A&M

Second Team All-SEC
Caliya Robinson Georgia
Mackenzie Engram Georgia
Chloe Jackson, LSU
Maci Morris Kentucky
Morgan William Mississippi State
Jordan Frericks Missouri
Tyasha Harris South Carolina
Khaalia Hillsman Texas A&M

All-Freshman
Unique Thompson Auburn
Que Morrison Georgia
Promise Taylor Ole Miss
Bianca Jackson South Carolina
Rennia Davis Tennessee
Evina Westbrook Tennessee
Chelsie Hall Vanderbilt

All-Defensive
Daisa Alexander Auburn
Caliya Robinson Georgia
Taylor Murray Kentucky
Raigyne Louis LSU
Blair Schaefer Mississippi State

Coach of the Year: Vic Schaefer, Mississippi State
Player of the Year: A'ja Wilson, South Carolina
Freshman of the Year: Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M
Defensive Players of the Year: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State & A'ja Wilson, South Carolina
6th Woman of the Year: Anastasia Hayes, Tennessee
Scholar-Athletes of the Year: Blair Schaefer, Mississippi State; Haley Clark, Georgia; Alyssa Rice, Kentucky

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I think this explains things:
Mississippi State teammates Teaira McCowan and Victoria Vivians joined Wilson as unanimous first-team selections on the all-SEC team announced Tuesday.

Vivians is averaging 19.7 ppg, 6.0 rpg, and nearly 2.0 apg.
Teaira McCowan is averaging 18.7 ppg, 13.5 rpg, and nearly 2.0 bpg.

Vivians is 3rd in the SEC in scoring, while McCowan is 4th. A'ja Wilson is first, by the way. McCowan is first in the SEC in rebounding, with Wilson 3rd. McCowan is 1st in the SEC in field goal percentage, with Wilson 5th. Wilson is 1st in the SEC in blocks, with McCowan 5th. Vivians is in the top ten in the SEC in three-point field goals.

Point of story...an undefeated Mississippi State team has two players for SEC POY candidacy. It is quite possible the two split votes, as both were integral to the team's success.

South Carolina finished second in the SEC, on the strength of Wilson and not much else (BCM out for the year, Spann went down with an injury).

All three had great cases to be SEC POY. Each one is deserving.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
First Team All-SEC
Raigyne Louis LSU
Jaime Nared Tennessee

Second Team All-SEC
Caliya Robinson Georgia
Mackenzie Engram Georgia
Chloe Jackson, LSU
Maci Morris Kentucky
Jordan Frericks Missouri

All-Freshman
Unique Thompson Auburn
Que Morrison Georgia
Promise Taylor Ole Miss
Rennia Davis Tennessee
Chelsie Hall Vanderbilt

All-Defensive
Daisa Alexander Auburn
Caliya Robinson Georgia
Taylor Murray Kentucky
Raigyne Louis LSU

Defensive Players of the Year: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State & A'ja Wilson, South Carolina
Scholar-Athletes of the Year: Blair Schaefer, Mississippi State; Haley Clark, Georgia; Alyssa Rice, Kentucky
How long has the SEC named 8 players to each respective all-conference team?

Reaction Score

View attachment 28954

More points at similar efficiency. Way more rebounds and blocks. That's not surprising for a post compared with a wing, but Vivians isn't getting tons of assists and steals to make up for it.

I guess that Vivians doesn't have to rack up big stats because she's got a better supporting cast. McCowan is gobbling up those rebounds, for example.

On the other, hand Wilson has a better true shooting percentage than Vivians and everybody knows she is South Carolina's #1 option (and probably options 2 and 3, as well). If it were just a lack of teammates propping up Wilson, I would expect high scoring on low efficiency. But that's not the case. Her usage is through the roof but her TS% is still rock-solid.

I what you are saying, but the award should go to the best player on the best team. I mean, KLS isn't leading in scoring or rebounds, but I'm pretty sure she will win player of the year in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Why is it, when I read about the SEC 1st and 2nd teams I see 5 players in each?

upload_2018-2-27_12-13-7.png

Reaction Score
First Team All-SEC
Raigyne Louis LSU
Jaime Nared Tennessee

Second Team All-SEC
Caliya Robinson Georgia
Mackenzie Engram Georgia
Chloe Jackson, LSU
Maci Morris Kentucky
Jordan Frericks Missouri

All-Freshman
Unique Thompson Auburn
Que Morrison Georgia
Promise Taylor Ole Miss
Rennia Davis Tennessee
Chelsie Hall Vanderbilt

All-Defensive
Daisa Alexander Auburn
Caliya Robinson Georgia
Taylor Murray Kentucky
Raigyne Louis LSU

Pretty much covers every player in the SEC! :D

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Wilson is NPOY in the country. I don’t see how Viviana got screwed.

With Wilson, SC is a top 8 team. Without her, I’m not sure they are in the top 20.
Where is MSU without Vivians?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

View attachment 28954

As UConn and ND fans know, players on well balanced teams don’t usually win individual awards because they don’t put up the same numbers as one player dominant teams. And look at players like Faris and Brezewski who were stat sheet stuffers but not even looked at for the big awards.

I hate using stats alone as criteria but am resigned to its inevitability

Reaction Score
I don’t see how Viviana got screwed.

Taking nothing away from Wilson, she is a great player. Vivians and A'ja just BOTH happen to be seniors and this is the third year in a row for A'ja.

As a MSU fan, I'm somewhat biased and have seen just how much Vivians has improved her game over the past four years. She began as a 'high volume' shooter and has really stepped up her game this year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
As UConn and ND fans know, players on well balanced teams don’t usually win individual awards because they don’t put up the same numbers as one player dominant teams. And look at players like Faris and Brezewski who were stat sheet stuffers but not even looked at for the big awards.

I hate using stats alone as criteria but am resigned to its inevitability

UConn players won't typically put up the same kind of counting stats but their greatness shows on the stat sheet in other ways. For example, KLS is one of three players in the P5+UConn that scores at least 20 pts/40 min. while maintaining a true shooting percentage of over 70% (Cunningham and Gustafson are the others).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom