AP SEC Player of the year A'ja Wilson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP SEC Player of the year A'ja Wilson

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I would've hands down picked Vivians but it's hard to deny that Wilson is also a worthy winner. Congrats to her on winning SEC POY, she's had a great season. First player ever to win 3 times.

Reaction Score
It's a close call between Vivians and Wilson, and like many here, I would have picked Vivians.

Now Charlie Creme still has South Carolina in the Albany region. If that holds up, then it's very good for Lou. That's because if UConn plays South Carolina that early in the tournament, and if Lou has any kind of a good game in route to a UConn victory... then it would be VERY difficult for the Naismith selection committee to ultimately vote Wilson player of the year over Lou. Just sayin. :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes, Debbie Antonelli made sure that she was given her "A'ja is the greatest WBB player in college" soapbox again last night, on another National TV audience. Thanks ESPN for continuing to support A'ja. I am only sorry that Holly wasn't there to chime in. (I like Holly but more so during her softball broadcasts.) I have yet to listen to a Debbie A announced game in which she has not given the same speech, even if she wasn't playing. :rolleyes:

Too bad the voters don't use the Geno criteria but then if they did, 9 out of 10 years, it would have to be a UConn player, which seems right to me....
Center- my wife asked me to calm down as I went ballistic when she was saying how versatile A’ja’s game is—-NO IT ISN’T. Passing, 15’ jumpers, using her right as much as her left...and then to say WCBB hasn’t seen a unique player like this? Really? Stewie, Griner, EDD, Maya...aaarrrrgggghhhh!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SC likely has another loss coming before the Big Dance in the SEC tournament, and if Wilson’s vertigo issue lingers, it’s hard to see her winning any NPOY awards.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Where is MSU without Vivians?

You can get some idea of that based on the LSU game in BR. VV was in foul trouble most of the game and was basically a non-factor.

State got 31 and 20 from T and 13 from Morgan and won by 13 against a solid NCAA team on the road. I would say Top 15 caliber easily without VV and possibly Top 10.

Not sure most of the country realize how good Ro Johnson and Morgan can be if they have to come out of their typical roles and score more. Mo made that pretty clear with 41 vs Baylor last year. VV and T are the engine of 30-0, but it's a really good team. Not as good as UConn most days, but good enough on a certain day.

Reaction Score
Clearly I would have loved to see Vivians win POY but Wilson is a terrific player and has carried an even bigger load than before. SC has suffered some tough injuries and Wilson hasn't been 100% but has still put up great numbers. MSU with McGowan, William and Schaefer definitely has more balance with their scoring.

ESPN gives Aja a lot of love, and deservedly so, but I've posted before she is a transformative but not transcendent player. Stewart, Griner, Moore, DT, Parker are what I consider transcendent. Granted my standards are very high and all those women are terrific players, including Wilson.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think this explains things:
Mississippi State teammates Teaira McCowan and Victoria Vivians joined Wilson as unanimous first-team selections on the all-SEC team announced Tuesday.

Vivians is averaging 19.7 ppg, 6.0 rpg, and nearly 2.0 apg.
Teaira McCowan is averaging 18.7 ppg, 13.5 rpg, and nearly 2.0 bpg.

Vivians is 3rd in the SEC in scoring, while McCowan is 4th. A'ja Wilson is first, by the way. McCowan is first in the SEC in rebounding, with Wilson 3rd. McCowan is 1st in the SEC in field goal percentage, with Wilson 5th. Wilson is 1st in the SEC in blocks, with McCowan 5th. Vivians is in the top ten in the SEC in three-point field goals.

Point of story...an undefeated Mississippi State team has two players for SEC POY candidacy. It is quite possible the two split votes, as both were integral to the team's success.

South Carolina finished second in the SEC, on the strength of Wilson and not much else (BCM out for the year, Spann went down with an injury).

All three had great cases to be SEC POY. Each one is deserving.

I can’t imagine McCowans would get many votes for POY.

I would have been ok with Vivian’s, But I’m obviously OK with Wilson

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Center- my wife asked me to calm down as I went ballistic when she was saying how versatile A’ja’s game is—-NO IT ISN’T. Passing, 15’ jumpers, using her right as much as her left...and then to say WCBB hasn’t seen a unique player like this? Really? Stewie, Griner, EDD, Maya...aaarrrrgggghhhh!
Exactly. I agree with you 100%. Heck, there are a few right now who can be compared to A'ja and may actually be better, including my personal favorite...

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine McCowans would get many votes for POY.

I would have been ok with Vivian’s, But I’m obviously OK with Wilson
Vivians was the only other viable candidate as she is 1A on that teams options. IMO, A'ja was the best player in the SEC this year though it was very close and the deciding factor may have been that Vivians was not considered a true candidate before the season. Do they publish the voting results?

All that said, just like Wilson's ok year let Vivians into the picture for the SEC POY, I think nationally, more of the voters need to take a real look at the numbers, say they've taken a real look and also state what they found. If they still think A'ja is the winner, I am fine with it. However if the play the Debbie Antonelli theme like last night, I will go bonkers. Debbie needs to at least give perspective, which I am not sure she really has looked at it, which is sort of a shame, because after all, it is her job...

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Clearly I would have loved to see Vivians win POY but Wilson is a terrific player and has carried an even bigger load than before. SC has suffered some tough injuries and Wilson hasn't been 100% but has still put up great numbers. MSU with McGowan, William and Schaefer definitely has more balance with their scoring.

ESPN gives Aja a lot of love, and deservedly so, but I've posted before she is a transformative but not transcendent player. Stewart, Griner, Moore, DT, Parker are what I consider transcendent. Granted my standards are very high and all those women are terrific players, including Wilson.
I always appreciate magnanimous and gracious winners who show perspective. Nice job my Bulldog friend. I would point out that I am impressed with how the fans have embraced your team this year and the big improvement in attendance this year. I hope you maintain it as Vic seems pretty passionate and thankful to the legions of fans who support him. Just remember, going 35-1 on the year isn't a bad thing...:rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
WOW, there has been some great players in the SEC, for Wilson to be the 1st player to win POY 3 times says alot about how much she has dominated the SEC.
Or has the SEC just been in a down trough the last few years...???

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think this explains things:
Mississippi State teammates Teaira McCowan and Victoria Vivians joined Wilson as unanimous first-team selections on the all-SEC team announced Tuesday.

I think the UConn players will split votes for NPOY too. And voting hasn't started, at least I suspect not many voters have submitted ballots, so it looks more likely, barring her vertigo continuing, that Wilson will be NPOY.

I like both Vivians and Wilson, and both have had great years. I would've voted for Vivians, but I don't think you can go entirely wrong or entirely right selecting either one.

Reaction Score
I think the UConn players will split votes for NPOY too. And voting hasn't started, at least I suspect not many voters have submitted ballots, so it looks more likely, barring her vertigo continuing, that Wilson will be NPOY.

I like both Vivians and Wilson, and both have had great years. I would've voted for Vivians, but I don't think you can go entirely wrong or entirely right selecting either one.
I believe the final "voting" won't occur until the Committee narrows the current list of 10 semi-finalists down to 4 finalists...and who knows who will be in the mix at that point. Might be 2 from UConn...or maybe only 1... which would eliminate the "Split vote" issue. just sayin'

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Agree 100%. Wilson is a great player but I don't think there's anything unique about her game. She's a classic 4 with a great motor. Her skill set, athleticism, and frame perfectly suit that role, and it's why she'll be the #1 pick in the draft. Reminds me a bit of Tina Charles her senior year, before Tina developed as a facilitator in the pros. Great physical post player, high motor, good shot blocker, can beat opposing posts off the dribble from 15 feet, okay midrange game, lacks elite ball handling and passing skills. Very good player, arguably the best in the country, but nothing particularly unique about her game.

Unique players to me have to do something different that other players just don't. Whether it be great all around skills, inside out ability, unique physical ability, etc.

Game changing unique standouts include players like Griner, Stewart, Moore, EDD, Parker, Holdsclaw, Courtney Paris, Taurasi, and Tamika Catchings. Players who weren't game changers but were unique in their ability include Gabby Williams, Stefanie Dolson, Chantel Osahor, Nicky Anosike, Deanna Nolan, Amber Harris, Armintie Price, Janel McCarville, Ticha Penicheiro, etc.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would've hands down picked Vivians but it's hard to deny that Wilson is also a worthy winner. Congrats to her on winning SEC POY, she's had a great season. First player ever to win 3 times.
Who won it when Holdsclaw was playing?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Who won it when Holdsclaw was playing?

Delisha Milton in 97. Holdsclaw won in 98 and 99. 97 was the year Tennessee finished 5th in the SEC and went on to win it all.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
DeLisha Milton-Jones Florida won it when Holdsclaw was a sophomore. I’m more surprised that Augustus didn’t win it more then twice.

Another surprise is that Catchings never won the award. She lost twice to Kelly Miller. The SEC was a much stronger conference 10-20 years ago than it is now. This year (and last) were good years for the SEC, but the number of standout professional players from the conference is way way down compared to the 90s and 00s.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Wilson is a great player but I don't think there's anything unique about her game. She's a classic 4 with a great motor. Her skill set, athleticism, and frame perfectly suit that role, and it's why she'll be the #1 pick in the draft. Reminds me a bit of Tina Charles her senior year, before Tina developed as a facilitator in the pros. Great physical post player, high motor, good shot blocker, can beat opposing posts off the dribble from 15 feet, okay midrange game, lacks elite ball handling and passing skills. Very good player, arguably the best in the country, but nothing particularly unique about her game.

Unique players to me have to do something different that other players just don't. Whether it be great all around skills, inside out ability, unique physical ability, etc.

Game changing unique standouts include players like Griner, Stewart, Moore, EDD, Parker, Holdsclaw, Courtney Paris, Taurasi, and Tamika Catchings. Players who weren't game changers but were unique in their ability include Gabby Williams, Stefanie Dolson, Chantel Osahor, Nicky Anosike, Deanna Nolan, Amber Harris, Armintie Price, Janel McCarville, Ticha Penicheiro, etc.

I gave you a like for the Amber Harris mention. Loved watching her play at Xavier.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I gave you a like for the Amber Harris mention. Loved watching her play at Xavier.
Me too. She had all the skill and potential in the world, but never seemed motivated to improve further. A long 6-6 SF with grest interior skills and ball handling ability, plus she could score from anywhere. I still think she could’ve become a Breanna Stewart at full potential—tons of similarities in their game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom