AP rankings 1/29 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP rankings 1/29

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I should count all of those posting about our current ranking who two weeks ago said it was not important and meant little. Then when on to say it is not even worthy of a thread. Well will you look at us now.

Reaction Score
Duke at 7 with their weak ACC schedule is a joke. But they’ll remain in Top 10 as they’ll continue to pile up wins with NC as their only formidable opponent.
It really makes no sense. Look at Duke and Kansas, Duke is 1 spot ahead. They have the same record and Kansas has played 6 ranked teams and Duke has only played 2....... So same record and 1 team has played 6 elite opponents and the other has only played 2, someone please try to make it make sense

Reaction Score
It really makes no sense. Look at Duke and Kansas, Duke is 1 spot ahead. They have the same record and Kansas has played 6 ranked teams and Duke has only played 2....... So same record and 1 team has played 6 elite opponents and the other has only played 2, someone please try to make it make sense
Do you say this stuff just to say it, or do you legitimately not understand why Duke is ranked higher this week?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Top 5 feels right

Houston gained a #1 vote from last week. Weird

Wisconsin up 7 spots and Duke/Marquette up 5, but seems to be more of everybody else losing instead of them having huge wins

Iowa St up 11 spots, good for them

Creighton back into the top 15!

Is New Mexico legit? I’ll have to check them out

Memphis out, and out far. They’re 3rd out but they got 48 votes while #25 has 215
New Mexico is a veteran team with three quick, smaller guards who can shoot and penetrate well. Eddie House's son (6') and Jamaal Mashburn's son (6'2") as well as Dent who is much improved this year (also 6'2") ...all have scored 25 in a game at least once this year. Their center is Junior Joseph who transferred in from Iona, who played against us last year. They have a freshman power forward who is 6'9", long and very active.

Reaction Score
Correction.....Gary Parrish doesn't vote in the AP....interesting though that Chris Murray has us 3rd
Correct, Parrish does not vote in the AP Poll.

Here's his reasoning for voting Purdue 1 and UConn 2. I guess you can make some kind of case if you feel that way. But he's pretty complimentary of UConn.

"We were really overwhelmed," Xavier coach Sean Miller said following Sunday's 43-point loss to UConn, and boy was he right.

The Huskies won the first half by 26 and the second by 17. They shot 58.5% from the field and 58.6% from 3-point range while holding Xavier to 34.4% shooting. They. Were. Awesome. They. Are. Awesome. Which is why, as I've previously noted multiple times, I have no issue with UConn being No. 1 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll even though I do not have UConn No. 1 in the Top 25 And 1. The job Dan Hurley is doing is amazing, and he'd get my vote for National Coach of the Year right now because of the way he lost three of the top six scorers from a national championship team and immediately built another national championship contender.

Let the record show I'm a big believer in UConn — it's just that I'm also a big believer in Purdue, and that Purdue's body of work is slightly better than UConn's.

Slightly.

Reaction Score
Do you say this stuff just to say it, or do you legitimately not understand why Duke is ranked higher this week?
I legitimately dont understand why Duke would be ranked ahead of Kansas when looking at their overall body of work. They have same record and i think Kansas has played a much harder schedule and also think Kansas has passed the eye test better as well. I am sure if I looked through bodies of work of other teams as well I would find other things that look like inconsistencies to me

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Kansas arguably has the 3 best combination of wins of anyone in the nation (UConn, TN, Kentucky).

But they also have two of the worst losses: UCF and West Virginia.

Then again, Duke's best win is over Baylor and they have losses to Pitt, Georgia Tech, and Arkansas.

So...yeah IDK.

If it makes it any better, in coaches poll, Duke, KY, and KU are nearly tied for 7th (separated by 9 total pts)

Reaction Score
who cares????? We are the best team....by a mile. And these writers are gonna find that out in March.

Reaction Score
Who knows what happened here because the document of record doesn't agree with what he published

Reaction Score
Duke moves up 5 spots with a 1 point win at home win. I am just going from the eyeball test, but that is not a top 10 team, but it seems to be a pretty even field in the 5-15 ranking range and the ranking just depends on who loses during the week. There is huge separation between the top 4 (UConn, Purdue, Houston, UNC) and the rest of the field.
I keep saying this. Every time we take care of business, while top 10 teams lose, we create more separation between ourselves and the #2/3 seed line.

It would take a lot for us to fall behind the Wisconsin/Duke/Auburn group of teams.

Reaction Score
I legitimately dont understand why Duke would be ranked ahead of Kansas when looking at their overall body of work. They have same record and i think Kansas has played a much harder schedule and also think Kansas has passed the eye test better as well. I am sure if I looked through bodies of work of other teams as well I would find other things that look like inconsistencies to me
Because voters aren't starting from scratch every week. Duke won last week, while the teams ranked around them like Kansas lost so they moved up. This isn't like bracketology where voters are looking at resumes and blank slates every week, and certainly not down to the minutiae of 2 specific team's resumes

Reaction Score
Wait…I didn’t even look, you’re telling me Duke moved up 5 spots?

They look … not good. Should have definitely lost to Clemson.
That and they were sweating out their other win this week at Division 2 Louisville until about the last 2 minutes.

Reaction Score
Voters aren’t looking at the body of work. They’re moving teams down a few spots when they lose, depending upon how other teams around them in the rankings performed, and moving teams who were below them and didn’t lose up.

So the short answer to your question Is Kansas lost last week and Duke didn’t lose.

Reaction Score
I got into an argument with another teacher in the lounge today because he said we were overrated and were gonna lose to SJ on Saturday. When he said "overrated" I lost it and obliterated him then he left the room. Everybody else was laughing.
Did he come back and put you in your place by pointing out how talented Indiana is?

Reaction Score
I don't know how you guys watch CBB and see how all these teams lose on the road, have bad losses sprinkled on their schedule, and see the lack of separation in talent levels and argue over teams ranked past the top 8/9 or so. Alot of these teams are basically the same.

Reaction Score
Correct, Parrish does not vote in the AP Poll.

Here's his reasoning for voting Purdue 1 and UConn 2. I guess you can make some kind of case if you feel that way. But he's pretty complimentary of UConn.

"We were really overwhelmed," Xavier coach Sean Miller said following Sunday's 43-point loss to UConn, and boy was he right.

The Huskies won the first half by 26 and the second by 17. They shot 58.5% from the field and 58.6% from 3-point range while holding Xavier to 34.4% shooting. They. Were. Awesome. They. Are. Awesome. Which is why, as I've previously noted multiple times, I have no issue with UConn being No. 1 in the Associated Press Top 25 poll even though I do not have UConn No. 1 in the Top 25 And 1. The job Dan Hurley is doing is amazing, and he'd get my vote for National Coach of the Year right now because of the way he lost three of the top six scorers from a national championship team and immediately built another national championship contender.

Let the record show I'm a big believer in UConn — it's just that I'm also a big believer in Purdue, and that Purdue's body of work is slightly better than UConn's.

Slightly.

That’s a perfectly rational argument, and it’s hardly crazy to have Purdue as 1 and us as 2. It depends on what you value in ranking, and there is plenty of arbitrariness that is part of the process.

That having been said, if we play Purdue on a neutral court this week I can’t say I’m worried about our chances.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom