AP Preseason All-America Team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Preseason All-America Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Jewell Loyd: "The only person who knows how to guard me is my brother," Loyd said. "I think guarding me, it's tough because I'm not just a shooter or a driver; I switch it up at times. A lot of people haven't seen me pass, so that's another aspect of my game that's coming to life definitely more this year. I don't know. I wouldn't guard me. I would not want to get embarrassed by myself." Humility

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...ish-reload-another-shot-national-championship

That's why she shot 27% from the field in the NC game instead of her season average 52%. And the passing she mentions -she got 2 assists, so I guess that's something...
So UCONN had her brother guarding her last year??

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jewell Loyd: "The only person who knows how to guard me is my brother," Loyd said. "I think guarding me, it's tough because I'm not just a shooter or a driver; I switch it up at times. A lot of people haven't seen me pass, so that's another aspect of my game that's coming to life definitely more this year. I don't know. I wouldn't guard me. I would not want to get embarrassed by myself." Humility

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...ish-reload-another-shot-national-championship

That's why she shot 27% from the field in the NC game instead of her season average 52%. And the passing she mentions -she got 2 assists, so I guess that's something...

Those comments caught my attention as well. As great a player as Loyd is, there's no question she struggled scoring against UConn in the past 2 final fours. She is a combined 9 for 32 with 3 assists and 3 turnovers, and that's without being the primary focus of UConn's defense, which were Diggins in 2013 and McBride in 2014. Loyd scored 2 points in the 2nd half of the championship game last season and that basket came with 3 mins left and UConn up by 22.

Reaction Score
It's OK. Mo's got something after just her sophomore year that none of them ever will: multiple national championships. I'd much rather have the hardware than the "special visitors" and Jewelly-oops which is all the ACC can claim.
You are exactly right and I'm sure she wouldn't trade them for the world or for some tainted AA voting by suspect voters.

Reaction Score
Stokes for her career averages 4.5 points per game and has started 3 games. Williams is a 3x AP All American, 3x ACC Defensive POY, and averages 14ppg for her career. Both are talented players who have a lot of potential, but even with all the flack she gets, Williams is a much more established, talented player than Stokes.
Williams numbers are distorted against horrible mismatches. When she's playing someone with some real athletic abilities and it's crunch time, she is totally MIA. We've seen it time and time again, not only against UConn but against other teams who play defense and have mobile interior players. Very overrated though probably a wonderful kid. She can't help how people evaluate her. I'm sure she's just trying to be the best she can be but in my mind, it certainly isn't at an All-American level.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Stokes for her career averages 4.5 points per game and has started 3 games. Williams is a 3x AP All American, 3x ACC Defensive POY, and averages 14ppg for her career. Both are talented players who have a lot of potential, but even with all the flack she gets, Williams is a much more established, talented player than Stokes.

I didn't directly compare them as players, but rather said both are supremely talented and both have a rep of not playing to their full potential.

But let's compare their numbers using a fair marker:

Elizabeth Williams has averaged 30 minutes played per game over her career with these stats:

14.3 points, 7.6 rebounds, 3.2 blocks, and 51% shooting

Kiah Stokes' career numbers extrapolated over 30 minutes:

8.2 points, 10.8 rebounds, 3.4 blocks, and 61% shooting

I would suggest it's no certainty that Williams is a much more talented player than Stokes.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Williams numbers are distorted against horrible mismatches. When she's playing someone with some real athletic abilities and it's crunch time, she is totally MIA. We've seen it time and time again, not only against UConn but against other teams who play defense and have mobile interior players. Very overrated though probably a wonderful kid. She can't help how people evaluate her. I'm sure she's just trying to be the best she can be but in my mind, it certainly isn't at an All-American level.

Dunno if you consider Achonwa someone with "real athletic abilities" but Williams did ok against her at times. In three games last year: 20 pts, 6 reb; 17 pts, 16 reb; and...4 pts, 7 reb.

My observation is that she struggles with consistency. She is talented enough to put up 20 and 10 every game but she doesn't seem to have the mindset to do it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here are Stokes' numbers from her junior season per 30 minutes played:

7.3 points, 11.6 rebounds, 3.7 blocks

These are the stats I'm looking/hoping for from her this year with 28-30 minutes per game.

Reaction Score
What does it say about point guards that Niya Johnson, who led the nation in assist to turnover ration last year is not on the list? It is hard to get recognized for efficiently running the offense but not scoring a lot of points.

She needs to play on a better team, like TAM for example.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
mojeff.jpeg

Kayla Woodward, a 5'11" forward from Wyoming, was one of the "other players receiving votes" for AP Preseason All-American. I was curious to see a player from Wyoming getting votes, so I worked up a little stats comparison to MoJeff. I don't want to pick on Kayla, but I can't help think the committee looks for someone (anyone) from different schools to round out the "other players receiving votes." In any case, the comparison isn't even close, even though they play different positions. She is a senior, playing on a team that went 20-11 and had no other All-Americans. Let's see how her stats compare to Moriah Jefferson.

Points - Kayla led her team & scored 519 points (16.7 per game), taking 473 shots from the field and making 40.4%. MoJeff scored 400 points (10.0 per), but took only 273 shots, making 57.5%. (If MoJeff took 200 more shots and only made 40%, she would have scored 160 more points, at least.) :rolleyes:

Three pt shots - Woodward took 208 3-pt shots, making 38%. Moriah took only 79, but made 42%. :cool:

Rebounds - Woodward grabbed 221 rebounds, which was 2nd on her team to a 6 foot guard. Jefferson had 136 rebounds, 6th on her team. MoJeff competed w/ Stef (371), Breanna (324), Kiah (278), among others for rebounds.

Assists, steals & blocks - Kayla had 53 assists, 40 steals & 11 blocked shots. MoJeff had 195 assists, 106 steals & 9 blocked shots. Total domination by MoJeff of the "individual stats." ;) (Yes, I know passing to Stewie & KML helps)

Turnovers - Woodward has 74 turnovers vs. 66 for Moriah, who handled the ball far more, against better competition.

Summary: Woodward had the edge in rebounds and scoring. However, MoJeff competed w/ Stef, Stewie and Kiah for rebounds. In scoring, Kayla took 200 more shots and 129 of those were 3's. The extra 119 points were attributable to taking far more shots since MoJeff was more accurate from the field (57.5% vs 40.4%), from 3 pt arc (42% vs 38%) and the free throw line (77% vs 68%). Assists, steals & turnovers were totally dominated by Jefferson. Not even close. I think MoJeff got screwed by geography.... :(

Go Huskies..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
it was totally predictable that Williams would be on the 1st team, and equally nuts. She just plain isn't that good. I don't know if I'd have her on my honorable mention list.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Great for Stewie and KML. Both deserve the recognition and have earned it.

But, I believe it was two or three years ago that we played Duke and Kiah cleaned Williams clock. It was total domination on Kiah's part. So I am surprised and disappointed that Williams is on the first team.

No MoJeff is just nuts.

We'll see what the end of the year brings. Another national championship cures a lot of ills.

Reaction Score
career numbers extrapolated over 30 minutes:

I'm NOT talking about Stokes but I can't stand "extrapolated over 30 minutes" measures. If a player is playing only 5 minutes, there's a reason. And to just wipe that away and average the data is very misleading. I think by the "per minute" criteria, Christine Rigby would be the greatest Husky ever. She played about 2 minutes per game and usually scored a couple of baskets. Extrapolated over 30 minutes, that's 60 points/game.
Again, not about Stokes, just a soap box issue for me.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm NOT talking about Stokes but I can't stand "extrapolated over 30 minutes" measures. If a player is playing only 5 minutes, there's a reason.
And to just wipe that away and average the data is very misleading. I think by the "per minute" criteria, Christine Rigby would be the greatest Husky ever. She played about 2 minutes per game and usually scored a couple of baskets. Extrapolated over 30 minutes, that's 60 points/game.
Again, not about Stokes, just a soap box issue for me.

Five minutes, sure. Notice above I extrapolated using Stokes' 18.5 per game from last year, a number that certainly would've been higher if not for Dolson. That's 61% of Williams' PT which I think is enough to give us a decent estimation.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
These lists are USELESS. The only lists that matter are the ones at the end of the season.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Clearly, there is an unwritten rule within media that decrees that no team is to have more than two AA's. Moriah is a victim of this bias.

I am old enough to remember a similar "rule" in the NBA: Never start more than two black players.

Red Auerbach (who else?) was the first coach to see how stupid this "rule" was.

And we know how that turned out.:D

HGN

Reaction Score

You know , I like Jewell's statement.....But for a different reason......Shows a lot of confidence but instills a lot of motivation to opponents , ... a la UConn guards. Loyd is going to try to have a big game when ND plays UConn early this season , and she just may have a good game. Win , lose , or draw. But I will bet that the UConn guards put the clamps on her if they meet in the NCAA's.

No one denies that she is good. But it's something else to say that you're totally unguardable by anyone. The Huskies will file this statement back and pull it out when the teams meet when the Trophy is on the line.

Words , when stated with no humility , can be a powerful motivator.

LET'S GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
Wonder how we got away with that? I'm going to have to go back and watch the NC game again, I must have missed him. :confused:
He was behind the scenes as a consultant, mostly at our practices.

Reaction Score

Between MoJett and Gabby, I'm looking for a dismal game by Jewell at the FF. Especially if Geno keeps the scheme under wraps during the regular season game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

She had 28 points, 7 boards, 5 blocks against UNC last year, 17/11, 3 blocks and 4 steals against Maryland, 20/6 against Notre Dame, 17/16 against Notre Dame, etc. She is inconsistent, but she can put up big numbers. If she finds consistency this year, she could be one of the better players in the nation.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Jewel Loyd is a great player.
She may have given a dumb interview but she can go off at any time.
I don't think it's a given that anyone stops her on a night she's hot.

But it'll be fun seeing Mo try. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's just a preseason list. Not sure if it "fires" up the players who didn't make it, or were lower than expected, but if it does, good for them. Moriah was one of 5 finalists for the Top PG in the land award, and could easily have won if not for some random player named Sims... but point is she probably was the 2nd best PG in the nation last year.

I honestly expect MJ to win the award this year and also to be a 1st team AA by the end of the season. I don't care how many UCONN players are on the team - she will likely earn her way on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom