AP Poll Week 8 - UConn RV (#30) | The Boneyard

AP Poll Week 8 - UConn RV (#30)

Reaction Score
I thought I saw us at 28, must have been the Coach's Poll. Our losses are to #s 10, 21, and 28. No bad losses and a win over # 11. Not a bad resume, considering all three losses were when we were missing a starter or two and all games were fairly close.

Hard to believe Nova is still ranked with a 7-4 record.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought I saw us at 28. Our losses are to #s 11, 22, and 27. No bad losses and a win over # 12. Not a bad resume.

We were #28 last week. Somehow dropped in the rankings despite a Quad 1 road win. Doesn't make sense, but things are always kinda wacky below #25 (and often above as well).

Reaction Score

Four Big East teams, with Seton Hall at #15.

If we go 2-0 this week, we'll be back in.
Really wish people would stop saying "if we do X, we'll be ranked Y".

Last week people said "if we beat Marquette, we'll be back in the rankings". We dropped 2 spots.

Reaction Score

Last week people said "if we beat Marquette, we'll be back in the rankings". We dropped 2 spots.
I did see someone make that post last week but it was apropriately responded to:

It will be tough to get back in next week as every team in the 20s is playing a cupcake or really bad opponent. The only exception is Villanova and while a win at Marquette would be a good one, probably won't do enough to leap frog anyone. Would take a major upset or two for any serious movement, which can happen.

Win the next two and definitely back in, but probably won't be back in AP Top 25 until January at the earliest.
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that winning @ Xavier (road win vs. Top 25 team) and at home vs Butler would get us ranked again.

Reaction Score

I remember earlier this year saying that if you win games vs cupcakes, it doesn't mean you get bumped up in the rankings and people roasted me. Well, we beat a team ranked around 100 and dropped. If only I had my shtlist with me to call people out, lol

Reaction Score
I did see someone make that post last week but it was apropriately responded to:

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that winning @ Xavier (road win vs. Top 25 team) and at home vs Butler would get us ranked again.
Absolutely, at 12-3 with no bad losses and 2 wins over ranked teams, UConn would seem to deserve a Top 25 ranking. Xavier is a big game.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
FWIW ..I had a dream that we beat Baylor last night. Go Huskies

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
What a great story Iowa State is this season
For the league, I am happy but Nova should not be ranked - at least at this point

Reaction Score
About where we belong I think. Funny people think we’re a couple possessions of being in the top 10-15 and we are I guess. But we’re also a couple possessions off being 40-50 I’m afraid. Ways to go to get and stay in the 25.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Coaches Poll 29
NET 16
Saragin 20
Kenpom 26
AP 30

AP is the best sales tool, while the middle 3 are what matters come March. So basically a 5-6 seed, right now, missing one flashy win to impress pollsters who don’t know jack. Maybe a tad below where we want to be but only a basket or three away from a top 15 ranking.

It celebratory, but we are looking solid. About overall where everyone on the board pegged us at the start of the year.

Now need a big time win to make the next jump up (damn you covid!!!).

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I agree. Don't pay attention anymore. Let the season fall on it's own. For last couple of years the predictions have faltered. Remember last year? The basketball guru's had us as a final 4 team. Let the cards fall.

Reaction Score
I agree. Don't pay attention anymore. Let the season fall on it's own. For last couple of years the predictions have faltered. Remember last year? The basketball guru's had us as a final 4 team. Let the cards fall.
We could still be the final four. Final four to recieve a bid unless we take the conference.

Reaction Score
I thought I saw us at 28, must have been the Coach's Poll. Our losses are to #s 10, 21, and 28. No bad losses and a win over # 11. Not a bad resume, considering all three losses were when we were missing a starter or two and all games were fairly close.

Look at who Villanova played. UCLA, Purdue, Tennessee, Baylor and Xavier were all ranked. 3 Top 5 and a Top 20 plus Xavier at 23. How many wins would we have with that schedule?

As a side note, it’s kinda sad to see the NEWBIE fan boys all excited to have 4 teams in the top 25 when none are in the top 10 and 3 are below 20. In Big East days, folks would be asking what’s wrong with the Big East?

Reaction Score
Look at who Villanova played. UCLA, Purdue, Tennessee, Baylor and Xavier were all ranked. 3 Top 5 and a Top 20 plus Xavier at 23. How many wins would we have with that schedule?

As a side note, it’s kinda sad to see the NEWBIE fan boys all excited to have 4 teams in the top 25 when none are in the top 10 and 3 are below 20. In Big East days, folks would be asking what’s wrong with the Big East?
People are excited because 3 years ago the idea that 5 teams (including our-unranked-selves) I’m our conference are firmly in the tourney field was unfathomable. This is an 11 team league where 7-8 teams have a real shot at making the dance.

I believe the Old Big East just has Houston ranked, fwiw

Reaction Score
I don’t get the hype for Marquette. Their best win was an injured Illinois team, they’ve won once in 4 weeks, are 85 on Kenpom and 73 in NET and are projected to finish 15-15. They’re not even a NIT team.

Reaction Score
I don’t get the hype for Marquette. Their best win was an injured Illinois team, they’ve won once in 4 weeks, are 85 on Kenpom and 73 in NET and are projected to finish 15-15. They’re not even a NIT team.
What hype? The hype on the Boneyard? They are hyped here because they are in our conference and we beat them on the road. It behooves us to hype them. What's not to get?

Reaction Score
They're not hyped. They merely outperformed expectations in the non-con in Smart's first year with an almost entirely new roster. Bodes well for their future.

Reaction Score

Your side note is more of a reflection on the AP voters who clearly are not paying much attention than it is a reflection on the Big East. Look at the resumes of Houston, Auburn, Kansas, USC, UCLA, and some others and tell me how they're better than any of the Big East's ranked teams. They play easy schedules and have minimal good wins (less than our Big East teams).

USC's best win is Washington st. Texas is ranked higher than all but one Big East team despite their best win being STANFORD!

I mean, come on... Providence has more top 50 NET wins than Houston, USC, UCLA, Auburn, and Kansas COMBINED.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom