AP Poll Week 17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Poll Week 17

Reaction Score
Not part of the poll, but ESPN power rankings: College basketball Power Rankings: Baylor is back at No. 2, Saint Mary's enters the fray

i

15. UConn Huskies (21-7)
Previous ranking:
In the waiting room
This week: at Creighton (Wednesday), vs. DePaul (Saturday)

UConn moves into the rankings following its home win over Villanova on Tuesday and its road victory at Georgetown on Sunday afternoon. The Huskies have now won five in a row and 11 of their last 14 games, to give them a real chance at a top-four seed come Selection Sunday. Contrary to some past Dan Hurley-coached teams, this season's iteration is led by its offense. UConn has a top-20 offense nationally and the second-ranked offensive unit in the Big East. The Huskies are elite on the offensive glass and are one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the league. Over their last four games, they've scored at least 1.06 points per possession in each game, making at least 41.7% of their 3-pointers in each of their last 3 games. According to Bart Torvik's metrics, they're No. 11 in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency over that stretch
Borzello puts those together and he is an AP voter so that’s probably his ranking unless he includes other factors in these power ranks

Reaction Score
Im curious what most voters would say makes us #18 and Nova #11. Same record, and Nova's best wins are probably us, PC, and Tennessee. Our best wins are Auburn, Nova, and probably Marquette on the road. In any event, our top two wins are against more highly ranked teams than theirs. Is it just a higher early season ranking that's keeping them that much ahead of us?

Reaction Score
The country will see soon enough if they're frauds or not
since the frauds just beat creighton by 20, how much should we beat them by? also 20? since we're better than the frauds but this game will be at creighton?

Reaction Score
Im curious what most voters would say makes us #18 and Nova #11. Same record, and Nova's best wins are probably us, PC, and Tennessee. Our best wins are Auburn, Nova, and probably Marquette on the road. In any event, our top two wins are against more highly ranked teams than theirs. Is it just a higher early season ranking that's keeping them that much ahead of us?
nova played a gauntlet of a non-conference schedule, which is why they have 7 losses. their resume is definitely better than ours at the moment, although i agree that we are underrated.

Reaction Score
Borzello puts those together and he is an AP voter so that’s probably his ranking unless he includes other factors in these power ranks
How does Gonzaga stay at #1 after getting manhandled by St Mary’s?

Reaction Score
Poll inertia is a real thing so that's part of it, but they also won @ Xavier, @ PC, and @ Seton Hall which more than cancels out our win @ Marq
nova played a gauntlet of a non-conference schedule, which is why they have 7 losses. their resume is definitely better than ours at the moment, although i agree that we are underrated.
They played a tough non-con but they also lost all of them except for Tenn. You shouldn't get credit for that if you don't win.

Poe

Reaction Score
In addition to what others said, Nova is 7 and 12 in the NET rankings and Kenpom, respectively and we’re 17 and 19. I’m sure these and other rankings influence voters more than than anything since they can’t watch or know who teams have played and beaten/lost to.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Really this does not bother me, however if it was Cuse a whole lot different story.
Their fans on Twitter play a big part in my hate for them. Along with their recent success aided by good fortune.

Reaction Score

But they pretty much lost to every good noncon team they played. I get it, though. I agree that they're the better team and should be ranked higher. I just don't see how the difference could be more than 3 or 4 spots tops.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Villanova’s losses include UCLA, Baylor and Purdue. They’ve had a much stronger schedule. I think it’s fair, although I’d think we’d be more in the 14-16 range.

Reaction Score
Villanova’s losses include UCLA, Baylor and Purdue. They’ve had a much stronger schedule. I think it’s fair, although I’d think we’d be more in the 14-16 range.

I agree with that. I was hoping to see us at 15. Houston being ahead of us probably bugs me the most. They haven't really beaten anyone...SMU I guess? And they lost two of their only somewhat difficult conference games (SMU and Memphis)

Reaction Score
Do you not see the irony in your argument that we should be ranked ahead of Nova because our top 2 wins (one of which is vs Nova) are better than their top wins?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Do you not see the irony in your argument that we should be ranked ahead of Nova because our top 2 wins (one of which is vs Nova) are better than their top wins?
When did he argue that we should be ahead of Nova?

Reaction Score
But they pretty much lost to every good noncon team they played. I get it, though. I agree that they're the better team and should be ranked higher. I just don't see how the difference could be more than 3 or 4 spots tops.
Poll inertia is a real thing so that's part of it, but they also won @ Xavier, @ PC, and @ Seton Hall which more than cancels out our win @ Marq

They played a tough non-con but they also lost all of them except for Tenn. You shouldn't get credit for that if you don't win.
agreed that you don't get credit for teams you don't beat, but you also don't get dinged for losing AT ucla, AT purdue, and AT baylor. those would be the three toughest games on uconn's schedule. if nova played some random squads at home or at a neutral site, they'd be 24-4 right now.

Reaction Score
I really don't get how beating Nova, and winning 5 straight, 6/7 has only moved us up to 18.

UCLA hasn't beaten a good team in a month - which obviously Arizona was a good win. But they got swept by Oregon, including this week.

UCLA is #3 in the #6 conference. UConn is #3 in the #3 conference.

Houston is a paper tiger. Haven't beaten anyone good all year.

Would've expected to be at least 15. But it's way more fun to be having these arguments this week.

But w/e. Danny loves to have the chip on his shoulder. I take this poll as disrespect.

Reaction Score
agreed that you don't get credit for teams you don't beat, but you also don't get dinged for losing AT ucla, AT purdue, and AT baylor. those would be the three toughest games on uconn's schedule. if nova played some random squads at home or at a neutral site, they'd be 24-4 right now.
Purdue game was at Mohegan Sun, remember? We were basically there!!

Nova obviously has a better resume than UConn right now, don't think that's much of an argument.

Reaction Score
Purdue was neutral, but you should absolutely get dinged for only scoring 36 points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom