AP Poll-Week 10 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP Poll-Week 10

Reaction Score
6 is fair. Feels like 4-6 could be interchangeable

4 BE teams in the top 25. Xavier and Providence will ride that UConn W all season long. Marquette has the opportunity to do the same this week

Kansas State jumping from unranked to #11, wow. Texas dropped 4 spots for losing to them, seems drastic

Alabama (4) and Iowa St (14) continue to be huge wins for us

Duke down 8 spots, lol

FAU is the 3rd team out. Would be great to see Gaffney and FAU find a ranking this year!

Reaction Score

I used to respect this guy but it looks as if he's become a political hack.
Gonzaga jumps ahead of UConn on the strength of a two point win at SF and a five point win at Santa Clara?
Alabama ahead of UConn despite both only having two losses and UConn soundly beating them?
Arizona ahead of UConn despite both having two losses but they lost at home to Washington St by 13 (this week) and at Utah by 15 in early December while UConn's losses were on the road to two of the best in the NBE ?
Kansas St ahead of UConn. Must be recency bias. The 2 point win at Baylor overcoming the 12 point loss last month at Butler.

I cant figure out his rationale. Given this is for the past week where UConn lost an away game to Providence and beat Creighton, he's dropping Uconn 6 spots but then at the same time moving Providence up to #14? So he's both valuing Providence's win against us by moving them up a ton of spots but then also saying it was a bad enough loss (despite the creighton win) to move us down 6?

Reaction Score
Kansas State jumping from unranked to #11, wow. Texas dropped 4 spots for losing to them, seems drastic

Makes sense to me, a one-loss team receiving votes the prior week then gets two ranked in-conference road wins, overall 3 consecutive ranked wins

We would be calling for a top-15 ranking if we were them

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looks like a Big12 biased guy. Marquette behind Baylor (with its five losses, including one at home to Marquette).
Other highlights include Alabama ahead of UConn even though we beat them by double digits, and Arizona ahead of us despite being rated behind us last week and losing at home this week. And both our losses were road games.
Beat Marquette this week and we might only drop to 10.:rolleyes:

So, peecee should be ranked ahead of UConn since peecee beat UConn by double digits??

Season is at halfway point. Polls are well beyond A beat B therefore A must be ranked ahead of B.

Reaction Score
I cant figure out his rationale. Given this is for the past week where UConn lost an away game to Providence and beat Creighton, he's dropping Uconn 6 spots but then at the same time moving Providence up to #14? So he's both valuing Providence's win against us by moving them up a ton of spots but then also saying it was a bad enough loss (despite the creighton win) to move us down 6?
You put way more thought into this post than a lot of these guys put into filling out their top 25.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Top 25 athletic polls are like political polls - skewed by who is allowed in the voting
Why really care at all
Just keep winning and you end up at the end of the year where you should be - #1
All this other stuff is window dressing

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Kansas should be#1- They play a much tougher schedule. Going to be interesting how Houston does in tournament after playing in a week AAC conference
It doesn't matter where you play if you have the horses on the court
K Sampson is an HoF coach who somehow gets non-top 4/5 star players and turns them into really good players

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter where you play if you have the horses on the court
K Sampson is an HoF coach who somehow gets non-top 4/5 star players and turns them into really good players
But nobody knows if they are really good, because they don't play tough enough competition. They are 1-1 against good teams. Most of the teams they played are absolutely terrible. The few games they played against mediocre teams like St. Mary's and UCF were close. Kent State lost by 4 at Houston. I'm not sure they are even a top 10 team.

Reaction Score
Hype does have some value but the reason for computer analysis is that it’s difficult to eliminate human subjectivity.
Yeah theres clearly too many voters who have a certain bubble they stay in and vote accordingly

Reaction Score
Yeah you had the top 6 perfect and bottom 4 right teams wrong order.
Had a feeling that might be the case with 7-10 being so interchangeable. In hindsight, Arizona did have a pretty bad loss to Washington State, so I’d say their new ranking is justified.

Reaction Score
FAU got jobbed. 14-1 with a Net 13 ranking. Who cares if their only loss is to Ole Miss, they beat Florida. They deserve the ranking at least for now. duck fuke.

Reaction Score
When looking at the poll one thing that really jumps out to me is the ACC and the hole that has appeared at the top of that conference. Would have been unthinkable 5 years ago that a 5-0 acc team (Clemson) would be unranked. I just cannot believe the state of things in the ACC

Reaction Score
FAU got jobbed. 14-1 with a Net 13 ranking. Who cares if their only loss is to Ole Miss, they beat Florida. They deserve the ranking at least for now. duck fuke.
I like an underdog as much as the next guy, but they've beaten 0 top 50 teams and also aren't in the top 25 of KenPom (so neither resume or computer metrics enough for a ranking). Also shouldn't be Duke, but nobody in that range has a good resume.

Reaction Score
When looking at the poll one thing that really jumps out to me is the ACC and the hole that has appeared at the top of that conference. Would have been unthinkable 5 years ago that a 5-0 acc team (Clemson) would be unranked. I just cannot believe the state of things in the ACC
They're going to have a ton of 4-10 seeds, but nobody at the top.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kansas should be#1- They play a much tougher schedule. Going to be interesting how Houston does in tournament after playing in a week AAC conference
I'm biased but agree. It would be short lived anyway. After a fairly easy game vs OU at home, they face a brutal stretch of games. Iowa State, @ K State, TCU, @ Baylor, @ Kentucky then K-State, @ Iowa State and Texas. So they are going to lose a couple.

Reaction Score
Seven straight weeks as a Top 10 team is impressive! It’s been a great season so far and great exposure for the UConn brand.

The AP poll doesn’t affect seeding, so I’m just going to enjoy the team being Top 10 and not care about whether we’re 4, 5, or 6.

And given that Hurley likes to motivate by playing the underdog/disrespect card, it’s probably all to the good if we’re ranked a few spots low vs a few spots high.

Reaction Score
Not a lot of great coaches there anymore, coaching is hugely important.

Reaction Score

The power ratings I’m looking at have Tennessee-Houston-UConn 1-2-3. Kansas is in the 4-6 range. These are performance based and account for strength if schedule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom