AP poll. S.Carolina, ND, UConn ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP poll. S.Carolina, ND, UConn ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree that all precedent says that South Carolina will remain #1 until they lose. When and if they lose (even if it is to UConn), they will probably drop below at least a few other one-loss teams. You could argue that a South Carolina loss to UConn is a "better" loss than UConn's loss to Stanford, and that therefore they should retain the #1 spot even then, but that won't happen. #1 teams always stay #1 until they lose, and they lose #1 when they lose. That behavior in the polls is virtually cast in stone.
I guess the football committee is different than the cast-in-stone polls. Undefeated defending national champion Florida State dropped to #4 today, below 3 one-loss teams. FSU is the only undefeated team in the top 25.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To me it doesn't matter. Yes it does matter..
I love how you really take a stand there, Tony!! ;) Seriously though, as several of you pointed out, all that matters right now is bragging rights. I think it's very unlikely that UCONN (or ND for that matter) are not 1 seeds. And you are right - we do control our own destiny... Beat ND and SC and we will be THE 1 seed and best team in the nation...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Seriously though, as several of you pointed out, all that matters right now is bragging rights.

I don't agree. It means much more to UConn than to the Irish at the moment. After all the consternation and anxiousness following the loss to Stanford, the last thing the Huskies need is to lose with their retooled starting lineup. It's not end of the world stuff, but another loss in South Bend after throwing the previous two away would be highly deflating.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't agree. It means much more to UConn than to the Irish at the moment. After all the consternation and anxiousness following the loss to Stanford, the last thing the Huskies need is to lose with their retooled starting lineup. It's not end of the world stuff, but another loss in South Bend after throwing the previous two away would be highly deflating.
I was talking about the polls. The only people who care about them are the fans. You really think Geno and the staff and the team care one iota about who is ranked #1? I don't think so.

As for the game against the Irish, it's #2 vs. #3. Both sides could argue the game is a big deal, but that isn't what I was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom