AP poll. Quse #1 | The Boneyard

AP poll. Quse #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congrats to Syracuse. at this point in the season they deserve it.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
And they don't play a tough away game till Feb 13 at Louisville

A good, not great team that made #1 by default

Reaction Score
I've now seen every top ten team play this year and of all of them Cuse has looked the most consistently solid (though I'll give Missouri a nod here too). Their defense is really long, and is creating crazy amounts of turnovers... offensively they can beat you a lot of ways. Very impressive team so far.

Even Melo doesn't suck anymore. Though I bet he won't be able to score against Uconn.

Their schedule, like everyone else at this time of year (apart from Long Beach State) is pretty spotty... But they've beaten a top 10 team in Florida, a team that supposedly has tons of guards that could really test the zone... Stanford also looks to be an ok team and Cuse handled them in the end.

I don't think Cuse is going to win the NCAAs... someone always kills the zone in the sweet 16... but I like them to win the Big East regular season and possibly the BE tournament too...

March and April belong to Calhoun though... I'll wait until April for our #1 t-shirts

Reaction Score
apparently this is serious...or it refers to having child molesters on the staff...use to be that you actually had to accomplish something before you made a t-shirt to celebrate. I'd be embarrassed if UCONN made one for being #1 on December 12th...but I guess if the odds are you'll go out the first weekend of the tournement you might as well take it while you can get it.

Reaction Score
We don't make shirts, we have them made for us.
uconn-2011-national-champion-no-1-tshirt.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how it's justified that UConn lost a spot in the ESPN poll after beating a ranked team. I mean, I get it Missouri is good - but I don't think they're good enough to leapfrog both UConn and Xavier!!!

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how it's justified that UConn lost a spot in the ESPN poll after beating a ranked team. I mean, I get it Missouri is good - but I don't think they're good enough to leapfrog both UConn and Xavier!!!

Was thinking the same thing.

Reaction Score
Syracuse deserves it, no point in knocking them (if anyone was or is thinking about it) for getting it by default. If UConn hadn't lost to UCF they would be number 1 right now by default as well and none of us would be complaining. Hope they can keep it up until it is time to lose to our guys.

Reaction Score
I have only seen them play one game but they looked really good- well rounded- good size in the paint and played all 40 minutes. I was impressed.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Number one is a double edged sword for the cuse. The higher their basketball profile, the more national play the disgusting Fine story gets.

SouthTampaBill

20" Neck
Reaction Score
Very bizarre scoring from Syracuse. There is no reliability.

Some games Jardine and Christmas with zero points. Imagine Lamb or Napier with zip?

Reaction Score
Can't say they do not deserve it at this point of the season. PLaying well and beat a solid Florida team so no gripe here.

Love "Not a Dime's" thoughts on the #1 tees though - CLASSIC

Reaction Score
Very bizarre scoring from Syracuse. There is no reliability.

Some games Jardine and Christmas with zero points. Imagine Lamb or Napier with zip?
christmas is probably our 9th or 10th best player right now. jardine is our 3rd best guard so far. before boatright came back lamb and napier were playing 38 minutes a game.

Reaction Score
I have only seen them play one game but they looked really good- well rounded- good size in the paint and played all 40 minutes. I was impressed.

I've seen them play several times on TV and yeah...they look great! But this is such an atypical move for pollsters. This really meant that Mizzou made a pretty big jump over both UConn and Xavier. UConn beat #24 Harvard. Xavier beat Butler and Cincinnati. Mizzou beat Villanova and Navy. If you ask me - these schools are all comparable with the exception of UConn having the toughest opponent by far.

I think Mizzou does deserve a top 10 ranking. They're a great team. I think Xavier is even better. I think they have played very very well in tough situations. And in some respects, I don't think UConn is as good as either of these teams yet but certainly has the capacity to be #1 eventually.

It just was a very odd move in my opinion. Losing a spot after beating a ranked team (and not losing another game) is probably a move in the polls very infrequently observed.

Reaction Score
Yeah, UConn should be happy with their #10 ranking after that ugly loss to Central Florida. GavinEdreamy is right, if UConn wins that game they would be #1 right now. Luckily for us, the loss to UCF will matter little come March.

Reaction Score
I've seen them play several times on TV and yeah...they look great! But this is such an atypical move for pollsters. This really meant that Mizzou made a pretty big jump over both UConn and Xavier. UConn beat #24 Harvard. Xavier beat Butler and Cincinnati. Mizzou beat Villanova and Navy. If you ask me - these schools are all comparable with the exception of UConn having the toughest opponent by far.

I think Mizzou does deserve a top 10 ranking. They're a great team. I think Xavier is even better. I think they have played very very well in tough situations. And in some respects, I don't think UConn is as good as either of these teams yet but certainly has the capacity to be #1 eventually.

It just was a very odd move in my opinion. Losing a spot after beating a ranked team (and not losing another game) is probably a move in the polls very infrequently observed.

I don't have a problem so much with UConn dropping as much as I do UNC staying in the top six. UNC has already lost two games, and while one was to a very good Kentucky team, the other was to an unranked UNLV team. They also haven't looked overly impressive squeaking out a three point win against Wisconsin at home, and hanging on by a thread against Long Beach. Based on early play, there is no reason for Missouri and Xavier not to be ahead of them.

Reaction Score
I think that loss helps us more than hurts. We certainly aren't ready to claim the top spot and it could have led to some rude awakenings that the freshman don't need 'yet'. Furthermore our schedule didn't warrant it. Being number one can be a major distraction for a young team. We are somewhat under the radar and need to be until middle of conference play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom