AP Poll - Monday 12/21 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP Poll - Monday 12/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed, but among FS1, CBS Sports, ESPN News and ESPN U (and definitely ESPN+), FS1 has by far the best production value of the group. The commentators understand basketball, know the big east and can pronounce our players names. While FS1 is not as ideal as ESPN/2, CBS & FOX national broadcasts, it's not terrible considering the alternatives. People may not be tuning in for college basketball, but for the fans who do its at least enjoyable to watch (and with the sound on haha).

As reflected in the Big East schedule last week, there are multiple opportunities (I think 4-6) this season where if UConn is playing well they get flexed from FS1 to FOX (not a 1:1 relationship to performance but certainly helps along with whoever they are playing). Plus the occasional CBS game which this year against Georgetown. This is how it goes in the Big East.

Win games, get more recognition in polls, get more TV exposure, stay in polls and so on. Being on FS1 is an upgrade over ESPNU/News or abysmal ESPN+. The AAC has very few ESPN/ESPN2 timeslots going forward as they are now a pawn in the ESPN+ game.

Reaction Score
It's the same thing practically. If no one sees you play, how're you going to get ranked?
yeah joe six pack stealing cable from his neighbor is casting votes...but if he can find the acc network or big10 network or pac12 network than he can find FS1

Reaction Score
yeah joe six pack stealing cable from his neighbor is casting votes...but if he can find the acc network or big10 network or pac12 network than he can find FS1

I don't know what your first sentence means...

But--it's been long established that the voters don't watch much. They've admitted as much. This is an unpaid gig that not many take seriously.

Reaction Score
I don't know what your first sentence means...

But--it's been long established that the voters don't watch much. They've admitted as much. This is an unpaid gig that not many take seriously.
this sky is falling dramedy that began airing yesterday has jumped the shark

AP voters are sport journalists. they dont get paid to cast votes but watching and writing about college basketball is their job. similarly, you don't think the people casting votes in the coaches poll are scouting and watching tape on other teams?

but even if everything you say is true, and no one takes it seriously, then who cares that duke and kentucky can still be ranked with a losing record? it hasnt impacted the BE when it comes to getting tourney bids and that's all that matters at the end of the day

Last edited:
Reaction Score
this sky is falling dramedy that began airing yesterday has jumped the shark

AP voters are sport journalists. they dont get paid to cast votes but watching and writing about college basketball is their job. similarly, you don't think the people casting votes in the coaches poll are scouting and watching tape on other teams?

but even if everything you say is true, and no one takes it seriously, then who cares that duke and kentucky can still be ranked with a losing record? it hasnt impacted the BE when it comes to getting tourney bids and that's all that matters at the end of the day

All I'm saying is that several voters in the past have admitted they don't keep up. They certainly don't watch 40 games every weekend. They say they start paying attention in late February.

Reaction Score
We got beat with a guy scoring 40. It was theirs to win at home and they pissed it away. You don't give votes to teams that lose games they should've won. And honestly the only one who looked worthy of any vote was Bouknight, rest of the team, the staff aren't ready for Top 25 or votes. Long way to go!

Reaction Score
Looks like we didn’t receive any votes this week. I fully understand that this is meaningless in many regards, but it does limit our program from nation recognition and positive exposure. I would also argue that it can affect NCAA tournament seeding.

Why is Duke #20 in the polls this week? Simple answer - they were ranked T10 in the preseason poll. The system is ridiculous and they need to do away with preseason rankings. It makes no sense to me why they wouldn’t start the rankings in the new year. Someone please explain this:

WEEK 5

UConn: AP #N/R
Record: 3-1
Wins: #335 CCSU, #269 Hartford, #34 USC
Losses: #14 Creighton

Duke: AP #20
Record: 3-2
Wins: #333 Coppin State, #262 Bellarmine, #83 Notre Dame
Losses: #11 Illinois, #27 Michigan State
What limits our national recognition and exposure is the fact that we lost. No one cares about “others receiving votes”. Take care of business on the court and they’ll talk about you. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom