AP poll 12/11 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AP poll 12/11

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
This year, AP and USA Coach polls are apparently different in the top 10 teams except UConn. I more trust USA Coach poil than AP poll.
Oh, not me. To the extent they have time to watch video, coaches tend to view future opponents and many have no clue what's happening outside their conference. Also, some coaches have an agenda. I'd say the writers are more knowledgeable and less biased...but, as a matter of full disclosure, I worked for The AP for 44 years so I'm not without bias, either.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oh, not me. To the extent they have time to watch video, coaches tend to view future opponents and many have no clue what's happening outside their conference. Also, some coaches have an agenda. I'd say the writers are more knowledgeable and less biased...but, as a matter of full disclosure, I worked for The AP for 44 years so I'm not without bias, either.
GH, as a result of your experience, I hereby nominate you to head up the weekly Boneyard WBB Poll. Given the level of expertise on WBB around here, I have no doubt that the BY poll will eclipse the AP & Coaches polls in a matter of weeks. ;)

Reaction Score
Well for starters she doesn't have her entire team healthy. We are down two Senior guards right now (who should be back practicing) as well as awaiting Te'a Cooper to become elgible. So essentially SC was starting a freshman, a role player from last year, and a transfer, while UCONN had All of its starters from day 1 and Geno could slowly slide Stevens in to get her comfortable.

Aja on the other hand (admittedly) had to do a lot of scoring by her self especially in the ND and MD games because it's taking time for the team to mesh. But she's definitely not playing on her own, as you can see she already has 28 assists. That's twice as much assists as she has in this point of the season last year.

Once Dawn gets her entire team healthy and Te'a Cooper eligible I think you will see and entirely Different SC team. Yes Wilson will still score a lot, but the ball movement and flow of the offense will be present once we have out perimeter playmakers back.

I don't believe her team looked great as a team last year either. Never could effectively integrate Coates and Wilson. They always looked disjointed, and Wilson was left out of the pattern offense time after time. Tremendous talent, but it wasn't a great "team". UConn has good talent, but outstanding teamwork. Hence, my reference to how the coaching staff is retraining Z.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
GH, as a result of your experience, I hereby nominate you to head up the weekly Boneyard WBB Poll. Given the level of expertise on WBB around here, I have no doubt that the BY poll will eclipse the AP & Coaches polls in a matter of weeks. ;)
For the reasons you stated, I think a BY poll would be a wonderful idea, Oldude. Given the level of knowledge and passion for the game, I'm sure most posters would deliver serious intent to the responsibility of voting. I'm just not the right guy to manage and tally the results.

Perhaps someone will volunteer (Am I permitted to write "volunteer" on a Huskies site?) for the chore. Would you want to open the voting to all or, like The AP poll, do you think voting should be limited to a committee of those who have demonstrated a national scope and thorough knowledge of the sport?

If the latter, I'd be very confident--as would most, I believe--with you choosing the panel of voters.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For the reasons you stated, I think a BY poll would be a wonderful idea, Oldude. Given the level of knowledge and passion for the game, I'm sure most posters would deliver serious intent to the responsibility of voting. I'm just not the right guy to manage and tally the results.

Perhaps someone will volunteer (Am I permitted to write "volunteer" on a Huskies site?) for the chore. Would you want to open the voting to all or, like The AP poll, do you think voting should be limited to a committee of those who have demonstrated a national scope and thorough knowledge of the sport?

If the latter, I'd be very confident--as would most, I believe--with you choosing the panel of voters.
While I greatly appreciate your vote of confidence, it sounds too much like work to me. For that reason we may just have to live with the more fallible AP & Coaches polls. So long as the Huskies are on top, it doesn’t much matter what the order is after that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom