AP poll 12/11 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AP poll 12/11

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Frankly, I'm not sure how anyone can pick a top 25 in WBB at this point in the season. There is almost an inverse relationship between strong P5 teams and their weak OOC schedules. As information, the top 10 SOS teams according to Hero Sports are as follows:
  1. UConn
  2. ND
  3. Central Arkansas
  4. Stanford
  5. Oklahoma
  6. Sacramento St
  7. Green Bay
  8. George Washington
  9. St Johns
  10. Quinnipiac
After UConn, ND & Stanford, the highest SOS of any top 25 team is tOSU at 14. Some other notable SOS: Lou (19) Baylor (31) MS St (39) OR (70) FSU (106) TN (37) SC (53) TX (72) WV (147) S. FL (21) MD (74) UCLA (20) and my favorites 8-0 USC (234) 9-1 GT (140)

Credit to Geno, MM, Tara and Sherri for playing a tough OOC schedule.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You have to look more closely at those Stanford losses. 3 of the 4 were completely non-competitive, just blown out. The second game against Ohio St. they led most of the way but fell apart down the stretch. Who has Stanford beaten? No quality wins. Belmont is 8-2 but they really haven't beaten anybody (they beat Gonzaga, but GU is really struggling this year). I like Stanford, but they really don't look like a top 25 team so far this year.
I don't think Stanford should be a top 20 team but between 21-25 is OK to me.
Stanford will play TN 12/21 and UCLA 11/29 and will be fun to watch.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Baylor is a much better team then they were allowed to show against UCLA. To me that loss said very little about Baylor.
Well, what's the definition of a "signature" win? Maybe Baylor wasn't a legit top-5 team that day, but it's not like they were a scrub either.

It's possible to credit the winning team for a quality win while still acknowledging the disadvantaged state of the losing team. It's possible to hold those two thoughts in the brain at one time.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I'm not sure how anyone can pick a top 25 in WBB at this point in the season. There is almost an inverse relationship between strong P5 teams and their weak OOC schedules. As information, the top 10 SOS teams according to Hero Sports are as follows:
  1. UConn
  2. ND
  3. Central Arkansas
  4. Stanford
  5. Oklahoma
  6. Sacramento St
  7. Green Bay
  8. George Washington
  9. St Johns
  10. Quinnipiac
After UConn, ND & Stanford, the highest SOS of any top 25 team is tOSU at 14. Some other notable SOS: Lou (19) Baylor (31) MS St (39) OR (70) FSU (106) TN (37) SC (53) TX (72) WV (147) S. FL (21) MD (74) UCLA (20) and my favorites 8-0 USC (234) 9-1 GT (140)

Credit to Geno, MM, Tara and Sherri for playing a tough OOC schedule.
This year, AP and USA Coach polls are apparently different in the top 10 teams except UConn. I more trust USA Coach poil than AP poll.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, what's the definition of a "signature" win? Maybe Baylor wasn't a legit top-5 team that day, but it's not like they were a scrub either.

It's possible to credit the winning team for a quality win while still acknowledging the disadvantaged state of the losing team. It's possible to hold those two thoughts in the brain at one time.

But does that mean that UCLA is a better team than Baylor or any other program just because they beat Baylor under those circumstances? It truly can't be used as a measuring stick for either team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
But does that mean that UCLA is a better team just because they beat Baylor under those circumstances? IMO, no, but then again...I AM a Baylor fan.
Well, I wouldn't see it that way anyway, regardless of personnel absences. I don't think that Oklahoma State is necessarily a better team than UCLA just because of one game. Just like I don't think Baylor was a worse team than Mississippi State last year either. Sometimes a team wins because they're just better that day, or things happened to bounce their way.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This year, AP and USA Coach polls are apparently different in the top 10 teams except UConn. I more trust USA Coach poil than AP poll.

I don't know...coaches expected to vote for their rivals, even if they are more deserving?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, I wouldn't see it that way anyway, regardless of personnel absences. I don't think that Oklahoma State is necessarily a better team than UCLA just because of one game. Just like I don't think Baylor was a worse team than Mississippi State last year either. Sometimes a team wins because they're just better that day, or things happened to bounce their way.

True that!

Plebe

Reaction Score
The coaches' poll had Washington at #25 in the preseason, as apparently some of them were too busy to notice that they lost everyone from last year's team, both players and coaching staff.

Polls are always suspect because they're simply a hodgepodge of individual opinions, but in general I find the media poll slightly less obtuse than the coaches' poll.

Reaction Score
UCLA beat Baylor while Lauren Cox was out, but lost to unranked OkSU.
If UCLA loses one more game they should be out of the top 25.
UCLA will lose a few games (for sure) in the PAC12 season

Reaction Score
I saw Oregon State in Maui. I think they are still underrated, but I'll have a better sense after they start conference play.
Other than the Maui Tournament Oregon State played in last week, I've seen every OSU game. OSU has traditionally struggled with offensive output because they were carried by only a few players on the team. Not this year, they are scoring well from all positions. This is a huge change from past years. Right now, OSU's defense is behind where they were at this time in past years. PAC12 conference play will fill in the picture on this team, but I'm excited to see an OSU team that can score (for the 1st time) from all positions on the floor. I think the best teams in the PAC-12 are Oregon, OSU, UCLA. USC may surprise as well.

Reaction Score
Good point. I never thought this but have to agree with you.
I don't know about Tennessee, watching the game vs Texas, they look very undisciplined. They won, but it was ugly. If they don't play with more discipline going forward, they will get smoked when they play a team that is balanced, takes care of the ball, and plays with discipline.

Reaction Score
DQyL2PUVAAAK0I-.jpg:large

All of those first nine teams are for real. Notre Dame proved that even with serious injuries at key positions, they are talented enough, and coached well enough, to take UConn to the limit. Oregon's class of sophomores is proving that they weren't flashes-in-the-pan last year. Yes, they got blown out by Connecticut, but that was last year. Tennessee, as undisciplined as they are, are now without the toxic DD, and with new talent, they're proving that if you recruit enough top names, you can play tough against most anyone. South Carolina has A'ja Wilson, one of the best big players ever in women's basketball, poor coaching notwithstanding, so her team will always be in every game. Mississippi State, with a tough 6'7" post player, is showing that they were not a fluke last year. No one ever knows which Louisville team will show up in which game which season. Roster turmoil and inconsistency seem to be the coach's calling cards. But they're capable of being excellent.

All the rest are all the rest. The Final Four will come from that Top Nine. Will Connecticut come out on top? We now know that our roster has injury issues that could persist all season. Camara's injury appears to be more serious than let on, and she may or may not play more than a few minutes. KLS's foot could recur and keep her out. And Gabby's migraines appear to be chronic and worse than in previous seasons. That's three top kids. Add to that the surprising lack of serious competition offered by the three "other" freshmen, and the two sophomores, and the picture is now emerging of a Connecticut team with a very short bench and a vulnerability to injuries.

It's not a foregone conclusion any more. There are some tough-as-nails teams out there, and we're not as steel-solid as we thought we were. We'll wait for the big late-season challenges. But the picture is coming into better focus now...

Reaction Score

The coaches poll in most sports is usually joke. It’s iften filled out by An AD or assistant, and will follow very conservative rules (eg any win = move up; any loss = move down).

The AP poll is better 99.9% of the time , in all sports, imho.

Reaction Score
All of those first nine teams are for real. Notre Dame proved that even with serious injuries at key positions, they are talented enough, and coached well enough, to take UConn to the limit. Oregon's class of sophomores is proving that they weren't flashes-in-the-pan last year. Yes, they got blown out by Connecticut, but that was last year. Tennessee, as undisciplined as they are, are now without the toxic DD, and with new talent, they're proving that if you recruit enough top names, you can play tough against most anyone. South Carolina has A'ja Wilson, one of the best big players ever in women's basketball, poor coaching notwithstanding, so her team will always be in every game. Mississippi State, with a tough 6'7" post player, is showing that they were not a fluke last year. No one ever knows which Louisville team will show up in which game which season. Roster turmoil and inconsistency seem to be the coach's calling cards. But they're capable of being excellent.

All the rest are all the rest. The Final Four will come from that Top Nine. Will Connecticut come out on top? We now know that our roster has injury issues that could persist all season. Camara's injury appears to be more serious than let on, and she may or may not play more than a few minutes. KLS's foot could recur and keep her out. And Gabby's migraines appear to be chronic and worse than in previous seasons. That's three top kids. Add to that the surprising lack of serious competition offered by the three "other" freshmen, and the two sophomores, and the picture is now emerging of a Connecticut team with a very short bench and a vulnerability to injuries.

It's not a foregone conclusion any more. There are some tough-as-nails teams out there, and we're not as steel-solid as we thought we were. We'll wait for the big late-season challenges. But the picture is coming into better focus now...

Not sure how you can call Dawn a poor Coach after winning the National Championship as well as owning the SEC for the last 5 years. Also I'm not sure if you have seen SC this year but it's more of a team effort as one player can't do it all, it just so happens that Wilson has been dominating in every game. But other then that good analysis FF.

Reaction Score

Ehhhhh, I watched that damn tex/tenn crapfest from start to finish and feel like I know even less about them now than I did a week ago. Not seeing how it tells you anything in regard to how either team will fare against opponents who play offense, much less organized defense. If it were me shuffling numbers neither one of them would be in the top ten.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I mentioned extenuating circumstances for Baylor. It's really unfortunate what Mulkey and her family had to go through. Injuries happen to everybody. I'm sure they missed Cox, but you still have to play the game. Stanford has been missing their leading scorer McPhee since the 2nd game of the season. Does that mean Baylor's win against Stanford doesn't count?

Stanford is not really looking like a signature win, either.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not sure how you can call Dawn a poor Coach after winning the National Championship as well as owning the SEC for the last 5 years. Also I'm not sure if you have seen SC this year but it's more of a team effort as one player can't do it all, it just so happens that Wilson has been dominating in every game. But other then that good analysis FF.

Dawn did a masterful job reinventing that team late in the season when Coates went down.

Reaction Score
Dawn did a masterful job reinventing that team late in the season when Coates went down.

I also think it worked out for the best.... Guard play wins in the tourney not just throwing the ball to your bigs the entire game.

Reaction Score

I think she had overwhelming talent. But she has been chronically incapable of making Wilson mesh with the rest of the team. Just raw talent going out and winning.

For perspective, look at how Coach Geno is molding Azura Stephens, making her into a completely different player from the one who played for Duke. He's slowly getting her to stop throwing up 25-footers. And he's integrating her into an offense, opening up easy baskets created by the entire offense. Wilson, by contrast, appears to be playing largely on her own.

Reaction Score
I think she had overwhelming talent. But she has been chronically incapable of making Wilson mesh with the rest of the team. Just raw talent going out and winning.

For perspective, look at how Coach Geno is molding Azura Stephens, making her into a completely different player from the one who played for Duke. He's slowly getting her to stop throwing up 25-footers. And he's integrating her into an offense, opening up easy baskets created by the entire offense. Wilson, by contrast, appears to be playing largely on her own.

Well for starters she doesn't have her entire team healthy. We are down two Senior guards right now (who should be back practicing) as well as awaiting Te'a Cooper to become elgible. So essentially SC was starting a freshman, a role player from last year, and a transfer, while UCONN had All of its starters from day 1 and Geno could slowly slide Stevens in to get her comfortable.

Aja on the other hand (admittedly) had to do a lot of scoring by her self especially in the ND and MD games because it's taking time for the team to mesh. But she's definitely not playing on her own, as you can see she already has 28 assists. That's twice as much assists as she has in this point of the season last year.

Once Dawn gets her entire team healthy and Te'a Cooper eligible I think you will see and entirely Different SC team. Yes Wilson will still score a lot, but the ball movement and flow of the offense will be present once we have out perimeter playmakers back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As stated, USF doesn’t match up well with UConn. I don’t see Louisville challenging the Huskies at home and after last night, even with Holmes back, TX does not have the team to win in Austin. That leaves SC in Columbia as the only remaining challenge for the Huskies during the regular season, imho.
Uconn by 20 in Columbia on Feb.1st!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom