AP Poll, 03/06/23 | The Boneyard

AP Poll, 03/06/23

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Highest ranking for Iowa since 1994. Good for them. Utah dropping to 8 seems low, but #2-#9 is wildfire territory. Only SC is a sure thing this season.

Reaction Score
Washington State won the Pac12 tournament title and is staying at the same spot?

sun

Reaction Score
I can't help but think that Villanova is at least slightly over-rated in the AP polk, and more likely very over-rated.
The NET has them ranked #12 while Massey ranks them at #19.
Maddy is a great player but if she doesn't deliver enough points then they don't do as well.
And they've had some really close games trying to beat Big East teams.

Rebecca Lobo's AP ballot ranked Gonzaga at #10 and Villanova at #11.
The AP ranks Gonzaga at #16, their NET rank is #43 and Massey ranks Gonzaga at #29.

Even as top 20 teams both would still be considered to be extreme long shots & Cinderella teams for a NC.
And at 27-3, Gonzaga has a better record than Villanova at 28-5.
By subtracting Villanova's 2 losses to UConn their records would be about the same.
And Gonzaga's losses include Stanford by 21 & Marquette by 4.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Annihilating teams this weekend who gave us problems for the past month didn't impress them. Adding back 2 of the top players in the country, albeit with question marks, didn't impress the voters much either.

Take care of business tonight, beat a top ten opponent, get revenge.

The seeding will be what it's going to be.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I can't help but think that Villanova is at least slightly over-rated in the AP polk, and more likely very over-rated.
I think it’s more of a case of the teams above them losing rather than something they’ve done

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
3F5DF645-BA12-412B-BFF7-E21625D01EB6.jpeg

Reaction Score
I want UConn to go out and beat Villanova by 30 points tonight like they did in last year’s BE championship game just to see if it impresses voters.

Reaction Score
The NET has them ranked #12 while Massey ranks them at #19.
Maddy is a great player but if she doesn't deliver enough points then they don't do as well.
And they've had some really close games trying to beat Big East teams.

Rebecca Lobo's AP ballot ranked Gonzaga at #10 and Villanova at #11.
The AP ranks Gonzaga at #16, their NET rank is #43 and Massey ranks Gonzaga at #29.

Even as top 20 teams both would still be considered to be extreme long shots & Cinderella teams for a NC.
And at 27-3, Gonzaga has a better record than Villanova at 28-5.
By subtracting Villanova's 2 losses to UConn their records would be about the same.
And Gonzaga's losses include Stanford by 21 & Marquette by 4.
You want to talk overated? Try every team in the Big 10 or ACC!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not really surprised by the rankings. SC is a no brainer. Iowa, they are hot right now. But it's the Caitlin Clark show and too many writers are in love with scorers like Clark.

VT - I don't think so. ACC is not that strong this year. Happy for them getting the ACC tourny crown. Very good team but....

Seems yesterday's games did not figure in the voting. Too bad.

We play on. Win tonight and wait for the committee to decide.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Annihilating teams this weekend who gave us problems for the past month didn't impress them. Adding back 2 of the top players in the country, albeit with question marks, didn't impress the voters much either.

Take care of business tonight, beat a top ten opponent, get revenge.

The seeding will be what it's going to be.
It’s ok with me if th Huskies are ranked lower. It will lull opponents into overconfidence and, more importantly, piss off Nika.

A reminder - polls aren’t used for tournament seeding

Reaction Score
I want UConn to go out and beat Villanova by 30 points tonight like they did in last year’s BE championship game just to see if it impresses voters.
I doubt if either will happen. Though, I think beating Nova by 30 is more likely of the two; which is saying something.

Seems like too much pettiness and favoritism with the voters.

Reaction Score
Just absurd. They obviously have no clue. Stanford loses, doesn't even get to the conference final and goes up. Indiana loses in the semis and goes down only 1, Maryland loses in the semis and is now #6, and Iowa has 6 losses and is #2, and the next ranked team with more losses is #12. Yikes!

Reaction Score
The BIG Ten always looks good until they start to play the better teams. Iowa #2? They won on a desperation 3 against Indiana at home and then had the big teams knocked off early so they could feast on the Ohio State team. Stanford like usual is ranked as high as possible without causing a mutiny of teams and UCONN is the team everyone loves to hate.

The rankings matter very little and if UCONN has a big win tonight they will still move up, possibly to the 1 line. Either way it should provide a little motivation for UCONN being slighted by people who write about BB. The selection committee I feel will have a different take on things and will get it right.

Reaction Score
The BIG Ten always looks good until they start to play the better teams. Iowa #2? They won on a desperation 3 against Indiana at home and then had the big teams knocked off early so they could feast on the Ohio State team. Stanford like usual is ranked as high as possible without causing a mutiny of teams and UCONN is the team everyone loves to hate.

The rankings matter very little and if UCONN has a big win tonight they will still move up, possibly to the 1 line. Either way it should provide a little motivation for UCONN being slighted by people who write about BB. The selection committee I feel will have a different take on things and will get it right.
"Iowa #2? They won on a desperation 3 against Indiana at home and then had the big teams knocked off early so they could feast on the Ohio State team."

What "big teams" are you referring to? Iowa beat 3 seed Maryland and Ohio State was the 4 seed. Yes Indiana lost in the semis, but Iowa beat them last Sunday, albeit at home.

Reaction Score
UConn up to #7 (+2) in new AP Poll.

Of note:
  • Iowa is now the #2 team in the country.
  • Villanova is now Top 10, which could help UConn’s resume tonight.
  • Tennessee is back in the polls, at #23, after upsetting LSU.

Full poll found here.
Eesh! Love the Hawks, but they're not the 2nd best team in the country. They're currently playing like it, but more in the #4-7 range. Historically they've played better as an underdog, but after last year's 2nd round exit I think this group is on a mission. Sure had a riot watching the games in Minneapolis Sat & Sun.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

So who would you put at 2?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom