AP is out - with a lot of changes | The Boneyard

AP is out - with a lot of changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Some good games tonight that will have an effect on the coach's poll and next weeks poll:
Duke v. Louisville
UNC v VaTech

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
So much of this is in the eye of the beholder, but dropping Notre Dame to the top of the 2-loss group seems reasonable to me, for now anyway.

Also of note: DePaul and Kansas State both just reentered the Top 25, so 8 of UConn's 12 nonconference wins were against teams that are currently ranked.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Very interesting. Colorado tumbles out (#20 to #27) and Syracuse slips out (#25 to #28). I actually don't agree that Syracuse should be punished for losing on the road to a top-10 team in a competitive game, but oh well.

DePaul rises from #26 to #23 and Kansas State, from #27 to #25.
Tennessee rises to #26, just a dozen votes behind Kansas State.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Look at Duke!
Congrats.

Lets see if you change your tune by next Sunday around 5pm :cool:

Big game tonight..... then two road games at GaTech and FSU. The only time this season we faced a decent opponent on the road.... we lost.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So much of this is in the eye of the beholder, but dropping Notre Dame to the top of the 2-loss group seems reasonable to me, for now anyway.

Also of note: DePaul and Kansas State both just reentered the Top 25, so 8 of UConn's 12 nonconference wins were against teams that are currently ranked.

Meh @ Depaul being ranked.. Id actually put Marquette in the rankings before Depaul. They (MU) have beaten both Arizona State and Oregon State. Depaul has only beaten Syracuse. Yeah they have losses to 3 top teams...... but in two of those games, they were taken behind the woodshed.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Syracuse allowed over 100 points in one loss and over 90 in another loss. That may be why they dropped out.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Lets see if you change your tune by next Sunday around 5pm :cool:

Big game tonight..... then two road games at GaTech and FSU. The only time this season we faced a decent opponent on the road.... we lost.

Tonight is ACC night. Duke-Louisville is a very interesting matchup. Duke has been playing great at home.

After dismantling Notre Dame, NC State visits Florida State. That's about as tough of a back-to-back as anyone will have this season. (Second only maybe to UConn's FSU-then-Baylor games.)

Even though I think Va Tech is a bit overranked, they are well coached and I don't see UNC beating them in Blacksburg.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Syracuse allowed over 100 points in one loss and over 90 in another loss. That may be why they dropped out.

well then they should have dropped them out last week.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tonight is ACC night. Duke-Louisville is a very interesting matchup. Duke has been playing great at home.

After dismantling Notre Dame, NC State visits Florida State. That's about as tough of a back-to-back that anyone will have this season. (Second only maybe to UConn's FSU-then-Baylor games.)

Even though I think Va Tech is a bit overranked, they are well coached and I don't see UNC beating them in Blacksburg.

After their trip to FSU.... they come home to face Miami.. then at Wake, at Syracuse... then home against Duke. They will be battle tested by the end of next week.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Hey tdd, what are your expectations for the conference, any predictions for your Dukies?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Meh @ Depaul being ranked.. Id actually put Marquette in the rankings before Depaul. They (MU) have beaten both Arizona State and Oregon State. Depaul has only beaten Syracuse. Yeah they have losses to 3 top teams. but in two of those games, they were taken behind the woodshed.

Marquette would've been ranked after its win over Oregon State if they hadn't then immediately lost to Santa Clara. They also suffered a subsequent loss to another unranked team in Green Bay.

Consider as well that DePaul and Marquette have their last two opponents in common. DePaul won at Georgetown and Villanova by 23 and 30 points, while Marquette won in the same two buildings by only 7 and 6.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hey tdd, what are your expectations for the conference, any predictions for your Dukies?

During the offseason I was thinking Duke would finish 5th or 6th in the conference.. After going to the scrimmage and exhibition.... my expectations were increased to no lower than 4th.... with a good shot at #3.... with a run to the Sweet 16. 1) ND 2) FSU 3) Louisville 4) Duke 5) Syracuse 6) Miami 7) NC State 8) UVA 9) Ga Tech and then the rest. The top 7 being NCAA tournament teams.. with UVA on the bubble.

Now that the non-conference season is over... I would move up VPI to #7 and drop NC State to #8 with the ACC getting 8 teams in the NCAA's. Im not sure who is better between Miami and Syracuse.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Marquette would've been ranked after its win over Oregon State if they hadn't then immediately lost to Santa Clara. They also suffered a subsequent loss to another unranked team in Green Bay.

Consider as well that DePaul and Marquette have their last two opponents in common. DePaul won at Georgetown and Villanova by 23 and 30 points, while Marquette won in the same two buildings by only 7 and 6.

I still dont think Depaul should be ranked. But I dont like Blue Demons, so that clouds my thinking somewhat.

Blue Devils :)

Blue Demons :mad:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Baylor back to where they started but with a new overlord ;). I'm sure Mulkey is thrilled.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Of the first 10 teams behind UConn, The Huskies have beaten five of them with one more to go in the regular season. I have never seen anything like that before.
I have, twice actually.
During the 14-15 season UCONN had 6 double digit wins against 5 of the teams (South Carolina#2, ND#3 (twice), Duke#7, Texas#9 and MD#10) that would finish in the AP top 10 & an OT loss to Stanford#6.

During the 13-14 season UCONN had 10 double digit wins against 7 of the teams (Duke#2, Stanford#3 (twice), Louisville#5 (3 times), ND#6, Cal #9, and MD#8, Baylor #10) that would finish in the AP top 10.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

And we play ranked USF soon.

Reaction Score
Not surprised that Notre Dame tumbled to #7. That's where I had them. And K-State back in, as is DePaul. K-State played us very tough. A very impressive team.

The coaches' rankings could be very different tomorrow. If Georgia Tech pulls off another upset of Notre Dame, look for a big drop. Duke will tell us if they're for real depending on what happens with Louisville. NC State and Florida State will be another major test of strength.

It means that based on current rankings, Connecticut plays 11 of its 29 regular season games against teams ranked in the top 25. That's a demanding schedule. So much for UConn's move to the AAC being a step down in competition. This is equivalent to playing the old Big East schedules.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would put S Carolina #2 b/c they have played a tougher OOC. Baylor schedule is ranked 127 as of now and SC is #8
But the ranking of schedule is really a bit bogus for top 10 teams - you get penalized mightily for playing a team ranked #225 vs. one ranked #75, but realistically both games are going to be walk-overs. Much more important to look at the actual good games they have played to date: Baylor has played UCLA, Uconn, DePaul, Ohio State, Tenn, and KSU with a 5-1 recorded a loss to Uconn. SC has played Ohio State, UCLA, Louisville, TX and Duke with a 4-1 record and the loss to Duke. Not a whole lot of difference except in the 'quality of loss' which does stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom