AP: Aresco says Big East looking to add 12th school | The Boneyard

AP: Aresco says Big East looking to add 12th school

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
"You don't need numbers for numbers sake," Aresco said. "We think that ultimately it's the value that schools bring and whether they also fit culturally into the conference's makeup."

This idiot actually thinks Tulane adds something. He thinks they fit into the cultural makeup.

Incredible. You can't make this crap up. No wonder the conference is doomed.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
More!

"They all have something in common," Aresco said. "They all play football and basketball, except for Navy..."

They all play football and basketball! Except the one that doesn't.

"...They're all great universities, they all are big research universities. The presidents have a real collegiality. We've noticed that everybody seems to get along extremely well. So we're pretty optimistic."

Reaction Score
"You don't need numbers for numbers sake," Aresco said. "We think that ultimately it's the value that schools bring and whether they also fit culturally into the conference's makeup."

This idiot actually thinks Tulane adds something. He thinks they fit into the cultural makeup.

Incredible. You can't make this crap up. No wonder the conference is doomed.
Uh. If I got paid millions to say stuff like this I would make people think I believed it too.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
NETTTS?

New England Tractor Trailor Training School would be a great addition! They are based in the large New England media market and have alumni on the roads all across America! Plus, we could get a great deal on transportation for all of the athletic equipment for the many sports programs to the schoools all across America in this new conference!

Get it done Aresco!

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Nice to hear we are committed to keeping The Big East name. That is vital for basketball. I'm hoping for UMASS over Tulsa.

Please someone remind ZLS to take his pills.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I think Tulane was a panic move. I think adding FB only schools is stupid. I know Tulane and Navy were prior commitments to the C7 leaving but I'd tell everyone that post C7 departure, everyone's application is up for review.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The guy has to get up there and say the same kind of thing that Swofford or Delaney says when they talk about expansion.

He has to lie a hell of a lot more than the other two, but it doesn't change what he has to do.

Not sure what some people expect him to do....

"Tulane? Man, we kinda had to invite them, but damn, do they suck or what? Would it help if I said I was drunk when I thought that up? Hey, did I mention that even the Weather Channel won't return my calls about a TV deal? I'm stoned almost all the time these days...I'm really depressed, you guys."

Reaction Score
NETTTS?

New England Tractor Trailor Training School would be a great addition! They are based in the large New England media market and have alumni on the roads all across America! Plus, we could get a great deal on transportation for all of the athletic equipment for the many sports programs to the schoools all across America in this new conference!

Get it done Aresco!

:rolleyes:
The Big10 has AAU as a pre-requisite. Now, the NBE has "do they get along with others?"...
Not sure, but NETTS might not make the cut...

Reaction Score
The guy has to get up there and say the same kind of thing that Swofford or Delaney says when they talk about expansion.

He has to lie a hell of a lot more than the other two, but it doesn't change what he has to do.

"Tulane? Man, we kinda had to invite them, but damn, do they suck or what? Would it help if I said I was drunk when I thought that up? Hey, did I mention that even the Weather Channel won't return my calls about a TV deal? I'm stoned almost all the time these days...I'm really depressed, you guys."
tulane helps the academic profile of the league right? that's a positive.

Reaction Score

The last line probably reflects the sorry state of most people that follow this stuff in the college world right now not affiliated with any schools already in the SEC, Big10, or Pacific whatever number it is now.

You can be happy and be stoned too, you just won't get much done.

Reaction Score
Just as we can contrast The B1G looking at different criteria than The ACC, something drove core players in the BE to go for Tulane. I've thought it was a Comcast or some TV rights issue. Something just doesn't add up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just as we can contrast The B1G looking at different criteria than The ACC, something drove core players in the BE to go for Tulane. I've thought it was a Comcast or some TV rights issue. Something just doesn't add up.

Any time you can grab the fifth-best program in Louisiana, you have to do it.

Reaction Score
We are the "Resurrection Conference".

No CFB was lower than Temple 10 years ago. Rutgers - man, they sucked. The first time I flew to Cincy to see Nippert, that was really unimpressive. Your taking a Big City Quality Academic University & praying. They had one brilliant year. And they've got to be a better long term bet than UL Monroe or LaTech or UL Lafayette. On Markets.

Who was pitching them? BTW ... The kid FB coach at Memphis seemed to draw some late praise.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think they were just a warm body in a nice market and that's all it took.

Aresco was probably thinking that at some point New Orleans might make a good place to either have a hoop conference tourney or a football championship game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Mardi Gras?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Would we have 11 for basketball?

Makes sense. Then Uconn can play Tulane, ECU, Houston, Tulsa, and SMU twice a year on Road Rage Radio.

Reaction Score
What do we at UConn need at this point? I think our interests align with Cincinnati. And my reading says that, until July 31, 2013, UCONN & UC control the conference vote. And, it seems we have bidders for decent hoop beyond 2014.

Why not be bold? Force basketball & Olympic Sports membership. Get VCU. Build a NYC hoop presence. (I think Fordham with Pecora is a good buy compared to SJ or SH). GiveCincy Dayton as a rival for hoop. The C7 can't offer far more. Screw the join the C7 gang; beat them to the hoop.

And I just don't feel UMass gives us anything of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom