anyone watching Wake today? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

anyone watching Wake today?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Just because UConn has had a bye week and has gotten one or two players back doesn't mean they won't come out flat against Wake. That happens a lot after a bye week. I will be there, curious as always to see which UConn team shows up. It is not a given that UConn will come out of the tunnel full of piss and vinegar.
so…you are saying UConn can’t just show up and assume they will win…good take.

Reaction Score
It’s early…but they look pretty good against Clemson. D looks tough. Bachmeier looks like an experienced QB who can make throws. And what the heck is a “slow mesh”? I have never seen that before. D-line will need to be disciplined to defend that.

I am sure Clemson will wake up…(pun intended) but at this point Wake looks much better than I thought they would look.

Sllow mesh is very difficult to defend.

Reaction Score

Interesting article. It’s from 2022. Is Wake still running the slow mesh? I didn’t watch enough yesterday to see. Either way, a good read for those of us who don’t pay attention to the subtleties of the X’s and O’s.

Reaction Score
I am. Agreed its going to be tough. Can our 3-3-5 D work against Wake’s slow-mesh RPO? On O, the questions are 1) can we throw the ball downfield effectively where they cant load the box and 2) which offensive line shows up for us.
That slow mesh running was deadly last season v 3 3 5. UCONN steps up to the weight class it aspires to this week. It will be fascinating to watch. This game at Syracuse and the Maryland game are the measuring sticks to see if UCONN is ready to join the big boys.

Reaction Score
Interesting article. It’s from 2022. Is Wake still running the slow mesh? I didn’t watch enough yesterday to see. Either way, a good read for those of us who don’t pay attention to the subtleties of the X’s and O’s.

Yes.

Reaction Score
That slow mesh running was deadly last season v 3 3 5. UCONN steps up to the weight class it aspires to this week. It will be fascinating to watch. This game at Syracuse and the Maryland game are the measuring sticks to see if UCONN is ready to join the big boys.

I don't think defending the pass is our strength. I don't agree at all with the ESPN Match Up Predictor.

Reaction Score
from what I see, we are probably going to lose to Wake by 14 or 21 points.
a UConn win is certainly not impossible as in recent years, but "probably" not gonna happen.

I hope my take is trash and ages like milk.

I give it 50/50 at best for UConn.

Wake has improved since the start of the season. And they have talent level similar to Duke.

I think we would have had a real chance at beating Duke if we started Fagnano.

Reaction Score
Believe Nc State GIF by NCAA March Madness
You are advocating a faith approach. Sorry, no.

Reaction Score
Even if they beat both Wake and Cuse, that will not qualify UConn to join the big boys. It's gonna take a lot more than that. Let's not be delusional, First step, maybe.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You are advocating a faith approach. Sorry, no.
Even if they beat both Wake and Cuse, that will not qualify UConn to join the big boys. It's gonna take a lot more than that. Let's not be delusional, First step, maybe.
"Dad, I wanna be a rock star!"
"Don't be stupid. Maybe with a lot of hard study you could become a geologist."

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

It’s weird that I don’t remember ever seeing this offensive approach prior to watching them yesterday. I had no idea they have been running this for a few years.

According to that article…creative blitz packages can be effective against the slow mesh. UConn’s 3-3-5 should be effective.

I am glad UConn has Brock and Mora…and an extra week…to figure out how to defend this.

Reaction Score
It’s weird that I don’t remember ever seeing this offensive approach prior to watching them yesterday. I had no idea they have been running this for a few years.

According to that article…creative blitz packages can be effective against the slow mesh. UConn’s 3-3-5 should be effective.

I am glad UConn has Brock and Mora…and an extra week…to figure out how to defend this.

Also. It shreds 3-3-5s.

Reactions: Tkb
Reaction Score
Granted it’s a TV view, but Wake appears to be all-around pretty quick. I think Temple laid out the strategy to beat the zone stretch run… don’t over commit. I’m not sure Wake has the discipline to do that. Conversely, if Sammis thinks he taking these guys on the edge, it’s going to be a long day.

Reaction Score
idk... i reallyyyyyyy did not like the way we looked offensively against Temple. An equivalent performance (regardless of who is qb) will not get it done against even an average true P4 team, which is what wake is.
I think you need to look up what the word "average" means.

Reaction Score
Granted it’s a TV view, but Wake appears to be all-around pretty quick. I think Temple laid out the strategy to beat the zone stretch run… don’t over commit. I’m not sure Wake has the discipline to do that. Conversely, if Sammis thinks he taking these guys on the edge, it’s going to be a long day.
Someone that we all know well recently said, "We are an outside zone team." This evidence suggests that is the plan.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I thought over committing is exactly what Temple did, loading up on the edge and flowing to the cutback gaps. I kept waiting for us to run misdirection or throw away from the stretch action, which we finally did in the 4th quarter.
For my money, our success in the passing game is much more dependent on Bell and Sheffield breaking away on short completions than it is on either of our QBs dropping the ball in a basket 40 yards down field.
For those that have seen Wake, did their secondary impress?

Reaction Score
In the beginning they were ok, but then Klubnick warmed up. He ended up 31-41 for 309 yards.

Reaction Score
You thought taking a year off was a good idea.
You know your QB takes would have more gravitas if you hadn't claimed Mora was going to lose the locker room if Welliver didn't start

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You thought taking a year off was a good idea.
For the purpose of full disclosure I felt, considering how strict the State of Connecticut was in enforcing rules on leaving, then returning to the state at the time the decision was made that the best of a few horrible options was to cancel the season.

But again, I love the commitment that you have for Fagnano. Your dedication to this is quite impressive.

Reaction Score
For the purpose of full disclosure I felt, considering how strict the State of Connecticut was in enforcing rules on leaving, then returning to the state at the time the decision was made that the best of a few horrible options was to cancel the season.

But again, I love the commitment that you have for Fagnano. Your dedication to this is quite impressive.
I also took the glass half full hoping they’d bring back a more mature team. Didn’t work. I work for UMass and live in CT. I was considering moving to UMas area but the way they handled the COVID? No thanks. I have a greater appreciation for CT. The restrictions were much worse in MA and UMass. RE was quietly quitting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom