Anyone watching Villanova/Providence? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone watching Villanova/Providence?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Watched the whole game. This is why I love the Big East. Nova crowd was pathetic though....we put them to shame. Nova won that game with clutch free throw after clutch free throw.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thought this game was over when PC went down 14. Oops…. Btw, glad I didn’t bet this game at 9 1/2

Reaction Score
It's an insult to Villanova to compare the two programs. One is a perennial stalwart in the old and new Big East. The other is an insecure also-ran that pops its head out of a gopher hole once every 15 years.
I thought you kicked the bucket

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but I think us, nova and pc are pretty evenly matched right now with us having the highest ceiling but the other two being much more consistent.
I disagree on the much more consistent. The records say otherwise.

Reaction Score
PC supporters told me only wins and losses matter. Now we’re giving them props for losing. This same fan base killed there own team for losing close games without their best players. Make it make sense
Scratches head

Reaction Score
how is it not??? youve been saying theyre the luckiest team in the league blah blah blah and now they lose at nova by 2 pts without one of their three best players you still wont concede theyre legit. thats the definition of hating. as you love to say "lmaooooooooooooooooo"
Lets be honest Providence got a couple of lucky breaks early in conference play which gave them a jump start? Those things are confidence builders . To their credit they built on those breaks to become a good team. In the current basketball world we live in if things went the other way , it could have gone south quickly.
If the regular season title is your goal congratulations, however in my experience success or failure on the big stage is really what’s remembered. On researching some middle 90’s UConn teams that fell short of the final four. I found that we won the Big East regular season in both and the also the tournament in one.
Frankly I didn’t remember doing that until reminded but I have vivid recollection of the NCAA heartbreak.
So if you really want respect you know what to do.
To really be the best team in a power conference much is expected.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
what happened with Longino for Nova? He was playing a bunch earlier in the year.

Reaction Score
I disagree on the much more consistent. The records say otherwise.
It’s fair to say they’re both been more consistent than us. Nova’s OOC schedule was menacing, and Providence has 4 losses all season. We’re gaining consistency as the season has progressed though.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t 100% by his own admission. Most of those came in the final 2minutes
Perhaps, but iirc most on here were pleasantly surprised how he seemed back to normal.

Reaction Score
Watched the whole game. This is why I love the Big East. Nova crowd was pathetic though....we put them to shame. Nova won that game with clutch free throw after clutch free throw.
There was no buzz in that arena at all. You would never think Villanova is the big time program it is from the fans at that game.

Reaction Score
76 -74 final.

Nova ends up 15 - 4 and Providence ends up 14 - 3. Villanova beat Providence twice, has one more win and one less loss and yet Providence wins the conference? That just feels wrong.

Regardless Providence looked pretty good against a tough Villanova team. For what it’s worth I think our defense is dramatically better than either Providence or Villanova.
I agree if providence had to play their 3 cancelled games and loses one nova wins the league. I think it is fair to questions it’s legitimacy a little bit.

Reaction Score
Nova is still on break.
Yes, students are on break.

The on-campus Pavilion is too small at 6500. Nova generally plays its weekend games and maybe a few others at the Wells Fargo Center.

As this year the Eastern Regional is at WFC, Nova only scheduled 3 games there (UConn was one). There is a rule that if you play more than 3 home games in an arena then you are ineligible to play NCAA tourney games in that arena. Nova only scheduled 3 this year to preserve the possibility of playing in WFC in March. That way, you can bitch that we get to play NCAA games at home.

As Prov was not expected to be this good and it was a week night game over Spring Break, this game would have been scheduled on-campus anyway.

Gampel > Nova Pavilion. WFC > XL. Overall UConn may have better facilities as the on-campus arena is important. WFC is a modern NBA arena with all of the amenities, XL is adequate with good capacity, seating, sight lines, etc.

Reaction Score
Uconn, Nova and Friars all playing really good ball right now. Solidly the top tier of the conference. Uconn definitely won February and I think the hottest team in the Big East right now.

BET will be great and the BIg East should represent really well in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
FWIW (and it's not worth much), PC* fell to 2nd in KenPom's "Luck" rating.

1646226798787.png

Reaction Score
I thought you kicked the bucket
Not yet. And to be honest, my inspiration in living healthy these days is solely to make fun of your wannabe program when they ultimately fail every year.

Reaction Score
You're married, huh? I would have lost that bet for sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom