Anyone watching URI? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Anyone watching URI?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You do recognize the irony of posting that no one cares about the early season on the day URI played a team that was in the tournament only because of how they played early? Apparently someone cared.

Good gravy.

Coaches are measured by what they do in March.

Why don’t you ask the board to compare Boeheim and Calhoun and see the reasoning.

Making it to March is good, success is defined by what you do when you get there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Miami looks lost offensively. That must be the third time they have thrown a pass to no one.

Reaction Score
Hurley amped at the end of the game. He knows every win in the tourney ups his asking price.

He has something to prove. Today his team delivered in the clutch.
But here’s the thing. Duke is not a good defensive team, while on the other hand URI is very tenacious on D. It’ll be talent vs toughness.

Four Senior starters vs Four Freshman starters. Should be a really fun game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lots of hero ball in the NCAA tournament every year.

There is something to be said for giving your best player the ball and letting him do something with it. Especially in college, where the talent disparity on each roster is relatively top heavy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Had Rhode Island lost that game their season becomes a disappointment.

Right or wrong, that’s the drill.

Had they won the final game in the conference tournament, I might disagree (conf + conf tourney champs). But as it stands, this is true.

Now, if someone claims they need to beat Duke, they're mad. Duke by 15.

Reaction Score
Had Rhode Island lost that game their season becomes a disappointment.

Right or wrong, that’s the drill.
You're right. But sometimes you just need to get to the post-season a few times before you really get yourself under you. And it's not like Hurley's ever had the school or resources that he'd have here.

Hurley's taken two teams and turned them around. Wagner was 5-26, and won 8 more games his first year, and then went to 26-6 the next before getting scooped up.

Then URI went 7-24 before him, and they have 3 20-win seasons out of 6.

And it's not like he's done poorly in the post-season.

Last year they won the A10 tournament, and were an 11-seed in the NCAAT and won (+.5 PACE), and then nearly took out Oregon, who went to the FF. Sure, they choked in that game, but the talent differential matters, and good teams usually are the reason lesser teams "choke."

This year they are a 7 and are into the second round (+0.33), with a chance to increase that.

It's not like they're getting in and bombing.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
From my perspective, Duke will win handily by 15+. Duke just has absurd talent, and let's face Coach K is Coach K.
Bet Coach K. bought JC a bottle of champagne when he retired and UNC fans wore black arm bands.

Reaction Score
From my perspective, Duke will win handily by 15+. Duke just has absurd talent, and let's face Coach K is Coach K.

Think BC though (good guard play). Was Duke at full strength? Not sure. Plus I expect a slight home court adv for URI.

Duke -10 opened at. I think.

Reaction Score
They badly choked away the game to Oregon in the R32 last year. Let's see if the fare better versus Duke.

The Oregon team that came a point away for playing for the National Title? That drilled Kansas in their backyard?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Think BC though (good guard play). Was Duke at full strength? Not sure. Plus I expect a slight home court adv for URI.

Duke -10 opened at. I think.

Fair point. But it's Tournament time. A bit harder to get motivated to play BC.

It'll be an interesting game to watch, given our somewhat small investment at the moment.

I just don't know what URI is going to do with Bagley and Carter Jr inside.

Reaction Score
Obviously I speaking from the public conversation and what seems realistic.

Sure maybe John Beilein is secretly looking to get out and is dying to live in Glastonbury.
Pretty sure no one reasonable's bounced Beilein's name out, but at about 3:42 pm and even now your perception or projection of the obvious is not shared. Realistic? Again, it's highly doubtful 9n% of us know enough of the inner goings on to cast a judgement at this stage. Beyond the names Borges tossed out later this afternoon, ideally some other head coaches have been contacted by UConn. Time will tell ...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Pretty sure no one reasonable's bounced Beilein's name out, but at about 3:42 pm and even now your perception or projection of the obvious is not shared. Realistic? Again, it's highly doubtful 9n% of us know enough of the inner goings on to cast a judgement at this stage. Beyond the names Borges tossed out later this afternoon, ideally some other head coaches have been contacted by UConn. Time will tell ...

You can keep saying that but the list is Hurley or bust.

The search party contacting people doesn’t make them candidates.

Parker: Hey Brad how are ya?

Stevens: How many do you need? 2? 4?

Parker; No Brad I don’t need tickets - I’ve got a great opportunity in Storrs.

Stevens: I don’t know I saw Toys R Us closed, retail is in bad shape.

Parker: Come on old boy... Storrs... Connecticut! They want you to be the second head coach under contract.

Stevens: Jeeze thanks for thinking of me. I have always wanted to erase 55-41 but I think you should probably call Hurley. Dan! I’m talking about Dan not the other ones.

Reaction Score
You're right. But sometimes you just need to get to the post-season a few times before you really get yourself under you. And it's not like Hurley's ever had the school or resources that he'd have here.

Hurley's taken two teams and turned them around. Wagner was 5-26, and won 8 more games his first year, and then went to 26-6 the next before getting scooped up.

Then URI went 7-24 before him, and they have 3 20-win seasons out of 6.

And it's not like he's done poorly in the post-season.

Last year they won the A10 tournament, and were an 11-seed in the NCAAT and won (+.5 PACE), and then nearly took out Oregon, who went to the FF. Sure, they choked in that game, but the talent differential matters, and good teams usually are the reason lesser teams "choke."

This year they are a 7 and are into the second round (+0.33), with a chance to increase that.

It's not like they're getting in and bombing.

Stop. Only the last three weeks matter. /whaler

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The Oregon team that came a point away for playing for the National Title? That drilled Kansas in their backyard?
Yeah they lead Oregon by double figures in the second half. Remember it because I picked them to win that game.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
... which is unnerving if accurate ... putting all of the eggs in one basket and all

I mean this crew with a football opening came up with Randy Edsall. They clearly know how to pull a rabbit out of a hat. They are known for yuge surprises.

Reaction Score
URI has less talent than OU but they are well coached.

I'm not overly familiar with OU's roster beyond Trae Young, but I don't think I agree. There's this notion that because it's Rhode Island, Hurley must be doing more with less. That's not really been the case. Their top three - Terrell, Matthews, and Robinson - were all highly regarded, four star recruits, the former of whom is now a senior and the latter two being in their fifth year in school. Last year they had Kuran Iverson and Hassan Martin in the front court. I have watched a lot of the program over the past few years, and trust me, they have big time talent that can compete with anyone. They absolutely should have won this game and they should absolutely give Duke a game.

Rhody was basically just spreading OU out and attacking off the dribble today. Very simple, pretty effective for the most part. People have this idea that the prettiest offenses are the most complex. It's usually the opposite. I don't think Hurley's a great x's and o's coach and in fact I think Ollie might be a better one if he could screw his head on straight, but x's and o's are a small part of the job. The fact that Hurley has recruited above his pay grade at URI bodes well for his ability to manage a top program moving forward. When you recruit and you're on top of your players, you don't need to be the greatest tactician.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'm not overly familiar with OU's roster beyond Trae Young, but I don't think I agree. There's this notion that because it's Rhode Island, Hurley must be doing more with less. That's not really been the case. Their top three - Terrell, Matthews, and Robinson - were all highly regarded, four star recruits, the former of whom is now a senior and the latter two being in their fifth year in school. Last year they had Kuran Iverson and Hassan Martin in the front court. I have watched a lot of the program over the past few years, and trust me, they have big time talent that can compete with anyone. They absolutely should have won this game and they should absolutely give Duke a game.

Rhody was basically just spreading OU out and attacking off the dribble today. Very simple, pretty effective for the most part. People have this idea that the prettiest offenses are the most complex. It's usually the opposite. I don't think Hurley's a great x's and o's coach and in fact I think Ollie might be a better one if he could screw his head on straight, but x's and o's are a small part of the job. The fact that Hurley has recruited above his pay grade at URI bodes well for his ability to manage a top program moving forward. When you recruit and you're on top of your players, you don't need to be the greatest tactician.

To the talent point. Here are the last 3 recruiting classes for each team.

OU- 2018 Jamal Bieniemy 4 star Kur Kuath Jr College (6' 9")
2017 Trae Young 5 star Brady Manek 4 star (6' 9") Hanes Polla 4 star (6' 11") Ty Lazenby Jr College
2016 Kameron McGusty 4 Star Kristian Doolittle 4 star (6' 8") 2 NR guys and 1 JC guy

URI 2018 Jermaine Harris 4 star (6' 9") Dana Tate 4 star Brendan Adams 3 star Tyrese Martin 3 star
2017 - Daron Russell 3 star
2016 Mike Layssard 3 star (6' 9") Jeff Bowtin 3 star MIchael Tertesa 3 star (6'9")
Cyril Langevine 3 star (6' 8")

OU has much more talent on paper and it really isn't even close.

Reaction Score
To the talent point. Here are the last 3 recruiting classes for each team.

OU- 2018 Jamal Bieniemy 4 star Kur Kuath Jr College (6' 9")
2017 Trae Young 5 star Brady Manek 4 star (6' 9") Hanes Polla 4 star (6' 11") Ty Lazenby Jr College
2016 Kameron McGusty 4 Star Kristian Doolittle 4 star (6' 8") 2 NR guys and 1 JC guy

URI 2018 Jermaine Harris 4 star (6' 9") Dana Tate 4 star Brendan Adams 3 star Tyrese Martin 3 star
2017 - Daron Russell 3 star
2016 Mike Layssard 3 star (6' 9") Jeff Bowtin 3 star MIchael Tertesa 3 star (6'9")
Cyril Langevine 3 star (6' 8")

OU has much more talent on paper and it really isn't even close.

Who cares about the last three classes? I thought we were talking about the current rosters? The difference is that Rhode Island's top recruits are seniors while Oklahoma's are freshman and sophomores. Trae Young helped bridge the gap a bit, but for the most part that's what you get in college basketball. Check what Hurley did with his current players when they were underclassmen.

If you want to say OU has more talent, fine. To say it's not close is a huge overstatement and to say they should have had the better team is an unfair expectation in my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom