Anyone want to take a shot a breaking down Dre's three pointer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone want to take a shot a breaking down Dre's three pointer?

Reaction Score
His shooting form on the three, reminds me of how basketball was played in the 1950's with the 2 hand set shot and the one hand push shot.

See the first minute of the YouTube video, and watch that shot form and see if it doesn't remind you of some of AJ's shots. The rest of the video is more of a narrative from a former NYU player.

Thanks for that. As kids (in the 1950/60s) we used to call it a push shot. It starts with the ball on your chest. It was pretty similar to what Marion or Dre are doing. That shot disappeared as guys like Rick Mount or Kevin Grievey perfected the modern jump shot.

But I still think there is more going on with Dre's version. He doesn't seem to jump up as much as it's him moving toward the basket. Love to see someone really dissect that thing.

Reaction Score
Looks like an old push shot. Exactly like the elementary/middle school girls I used to coach, who had to use both arms to get the ball to the basket. Shoots from the chest.

Given his length and elevation, I sure would like to see him adopt a Jeremy Lamb style stroke, with a high release. It would be unguardable. I find it odd that he's been working on it and it still looks like it does.
Good points. If Jackson ever figures this out he can be one of our all time greats, if he stays in college 4 years to fully develop his game.
I know he’s watched some vintage Pistol Pete videos but that has impacted his passing and dribbling more. Their shooting form is very different.

Reaction Score
First pay of the game and I think it was set for Andre to hit a 3. And after he hit the 3, he got more room to drive to the basket than I've seen him have this year, and he used that room to good effect. I liked it

Reaction Score
I think the Marion comp is close, but Marion had a significant pause/delay before letting it fly. Andre's release has quickened up significantly. He still releases it lower than optimal, and needs to speed up the motion as well, but he doesn't have that long hitch that Marion had.

Reaction Score
As long as it’s going in, I don’t care how it looks! Though I will say his shooting form will probably detract NBA scouts even if he does shoot a consistently good percentage, kinda similar to lonzo ball

Reaction Score
It looks awful. And I love the guy and am not trying to harsh on him but his jump shot form is trash. I'm sure he still shoots better than me despite my obvious existence as a Husky Champion who was "A Part of It". At some point he'll need to fix it and I'm curious if they have tried working on it. I'm guessing they have. Anyway, still love his game and am becoming an unrelenting fan boy.

He definitely worked on some things in the off season. It's just so bad it will take a longggg time to get that jumpshot to be adequate. His hands look better than last season and his footwork is cleaner for sure.

Glad he can hit the open jumper. Off the dribble or quick 3s is 2 or more years away if ever a part of his game.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It's fugly. His ability on the glass is something else. Would love to see him get a few more on the offensive end though. He's going to have a few put-back dunks that look just incredible.

Reaction Score
He definitely worked on some things in the off season. It's just so bad it will take a longggg time to get that jumpshot to be adequate. His hands look better than last season and his footwork is cleaner for sure.

Glad he can hit the open jumper. Off the dribble or quick 3s is 2 or more years away if ever a part of his game.
I think he can get there. He will want to. He's such an incredible athlete. The coaches must be in his ear telling him it's the only thing he needs. In the meantime as a fan I will happily take the steals, the run outs, the rebounding, and the transition buckets.

Reaction Score
If you can repeat it over and over and get good results, who cares how it looks.

I played with a friend who somehow smacked the back of this wrists together on his follow through, and yet he shot over 40%.

And wasn't it Danny Ainge who really had 2 different 3 point shots. His wide open 'push' shot where he barely stepped forward and his normal jump shot.

Still, Ajax needs to develop a midrange shot and it will have to be more over the top than out in front.

Reaction Score
If you can repeat it over and over and get good results, who cares how it looks.

It isn't about "the look"... as-is his shot is going in but it is super slow and really not possible to do well off the dribble. He's limited to very, very open catch n shoots

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom