Anyone want to take a shot a breaking down Dre's three pointer? | The Boneyard

Anyone want to take a shot a breaking down Dre's three pointer?

Reaction Score
His shot mechanics are hard to pin down. At first, I thought it was one-handed. His right hand certainly travels further and finishes the shot. But his left hand is on the ball and extends as well. It also looks like he is shooting from a crouch rather than an extended jump. I've replayed a couple of his three point shots a number of times. I don't recall anyone who uses the same form.

There is an old NBA saying, "It's not how, it's how many." And Dre has been pretty accurate with this shot. Can anyone break this thing down? Does anyone have a comparison, some else who uses the same form?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Looks like a shot put but agreed it seems to go in. He shoots free throws with the same mechanics and he’s pretty good there too. I always thought Sniper’s mechanics were odd too and he did alright

Reaction Score
His shot mechanics are hard to pin down. At first, I thought it was one-handed. His right hand certainly travels further and finishes the shot. But his left hand is on the ball and extends as well. It also looks like he is shooting from a crouch rather than an extended jump. I've replayed a couple of his three point shots a number of times. I don't recall anyone who uses the same form.

There is an old NBA saying, "It's not how, it's how many." And Dre has been pretty accurate with this shot. Can anyone break this thing down? Does anyone have a comparison, some else who uses the same form?

I mean just about everything that could be wrong is, lol.

1) He has absolutely no rhythm between his upper and lower body. A good shooter flows through the toes and hips as they lift up... He just shot puts it up. In part because of the other issues he has like

2) the ball is too far in front of his body when he shoots. He's basically making a giant J shape with the ball instead of flowing up from his waist and shooting from forehead ish

3) He tucks his chin and bends over instead of standing tall when he shoots for some reason.. his balance is just way off

4) he grips the ball with his off hand from the front

5) he doesn't really seem to cock his wrist enough--hence the shotput... he flicks his wrist, but the power from his shot is coming from the push.

His shot is much improved though. These things just take a lot of time to imrpvoe when you're as bad as him.

If someone got me a compilation of all the 3s he's taken, I'll be happy to do more... this is just by memory.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had a roommate 20+ years ago who shot similarly. He started playing very young and was very good, but he claimed he learned his mechanics young. Too young. Before he had the upper body strength to shoot properly. Then never corrected it.

Oddly enough, my old roommate was also a very fine passer. Ran the pick-n-roll like John Stockton. Consistently made no look touch passes in the lane. He was really fun to play with.

Reaction Score
That's who I've compared Jackson to since I first saw him. Similar ugly shot that goes in and similar games.
Yeah I think they have very similar games, and will be more similar once Dre learns to sit down on one on one defense more

Reaction Score
As long as he has the time and space to get those shots up, it's great if they are going in at a decent percentage. He does a enough really well that you know a big game is on the horizon.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Looks like an old push shot. Exactly like the elementary/middle school girls I used to coach, who had to use both arms to get the ball to the basket. Shoots from the chest.

Given his length and elevation, I sure would like to see him adopt a Jeremy Lamb style stroke, with a high release. It would be unguardable. I find it odd that he's been working on it and it still looks like it does.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
we did this, long ago, with pictures and stuff.
scorer, not a shooter.
nothing has changed since then but for his personal enlightenment to use what he does have.
i'd remind you of the reason for that conclusion, but then some of youse will get the madds, cuz you think everything is fixable. is tyler fixed yet?

Reaction Score
we did this, long ago, with pictures and stuff.
scorer, not a shooter.
nothing has changed since then but for his personal enlightenment to use what he does have.
i'd remind you of the reason for that conclusion, but then some of youse will get the madds, cuz you think everything is fixable. is tyler fixed yet?
Yes, fixed at the spot where he stands immobile,

Reaction Score
It’s an unorthodox shot which requires a lot of space to get off. Besides a tear drop, this shot would make it almost impossible for him to shoot off the dribble or incorporate a step back move.

Reaction Score
We are bored. It's been talked about so many times.
cat why do i always wait this late to s GIF

Reaction Score
His shooting form on the three, reminds me of how basketball was played in the 1950's with the 2 hand set shot and the one hand push shot.

See the first minute of the YouTube video, and watch that shot form and see if it doesn't remind you of some of AJ's shots. The rest of the video is more of a narrative from a former NYU player.

Reaction Score
This Dolph Schayes video shows more, and again, it reminds me of AJ's form when he is not taking floaters.

No criticism here of AJ. Just sharing some BB history.

Reaction Score
It looks awful. And I love the guy and am not trying to harsh on him but his jump shot form is trash. I'm sure he still shoots better than me despite my obvious existence as a Husky Champion who was "A Part of It". At some point he'll need to fix it and I'm curious if they have tried working on it. I'm guessing they have. Anyway, still love his game and am becoming an unrelenting fan boy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom