Anyone want to say sorry to Ollie? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone want to say sorry to Ollie?

Reaction Score
Recruiting has never been Ollie's issue. Recently it has taken a dip, but looks to be back on track.

The issue is constantly losing to teams in a mediocre conference who have much less talented players than we do.

I don't see how this scandal changes that in any way.

Reaction Score
My only beef with Ollie is the wasted opportunity, poor development of Amida Brimah. The drop off in recruiting probably has just as much to do with the league they are in as any players being bought by other schools. I am wondering how much of Ollie's personal life(divorce) was a distraction the last few years. Losing Blaney as coach and hiring newbies as replacements certainly didn't help the cause. What are Killings, Moore and Freeman doing on the staff? Glenn Miller had more coaching experience than those three combined and was the only one on the staff besides Ollie that was an assistant under Calhoun.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My only beef with Ollie is the wasted opportunity, poor development of Amida Brimah.
Amida Brimah came in as a kid with 2 offers. Us and Lasalle. Left as our 3rd leading shot blocker of all time, a conference DPoY, scoring nearly 1000 points, and making an NBA training camp roster with a not-that-awful shot at making the team.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Amida Brimah came in as a kid with 2 offers. Us and Lasalle. Left as our 3rd leading shot blocker of all time, a conference DPoY, scoring nearly 1000 points, and making an NBA training camp roster with a not-that-awful shot at making the team.

Shhh. Every African big man who comes here should reasonably be expected to turn into Hasheem Thabeet. Because..uh..we're UConn.

(Before a mod gets on my case about sarcasm, I'd like to argue that this thread was created to troll and sucks so much it can't be taken further off the rails by any comments I make.)

Reaction Score
My only beef with Ollie is the wasted opportunity, poor development of Amida Brimah. The drop off in recruiting probably has just as much to do with the league they are in as any players being bought by other schools. I am wondering how much of Ollie's personal life(divorce) was a distraction the last few years. Losing Blaney as coach and hiring newbies as replacements certainly didn't help the cause. What are Killings, Moore and Freeman doing on the staff? Glenn Miller had more coaching experience than those three combined and was the only one on the staff besides Ollie that was an assistant under Calhoun.

I think you could argue that the developments of Purvis, Facey, and Enoch were handled much worse. Or the results were much more disappointing is a better way of phrasing it I guess.

Brimah is what he is. He blocked some shots, ran the court well, fumbled a lot of balls out of bounds, and got thrown around down low, but always gave 100%.

Purvis constantly made mistakes that seemed coachable/fixable. And Facey and Enoch both had different skills that always seemed under-utilized.

Reaction Score
No, not really? I think he's a great guy, he's won us a chip, he recruited well early on, he sucked as a coach last year and his recruiting has dropped off recently. Unless only started handing cash to kids two years ago I don't think this fully exonerates his recruiting failures, as much as his apologists would like. I'm happy with some of the recruits brought in recently but still think we should do better. I'll let the whole Adidas story come out before writing off some of KO's major flaws as outside his control, thanks.
Agree well writen.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Exactly. And how do you not punish a school who's coaches go to jail for fraud.

when you don't punish a school that admitted widespread and systematic academic fraud, anything is possible

it's not like the program did something as horrific as self reporting low APR scores, which actually warrants two trials and two convictions and two sentences

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think apologies are due from those who said he can't recruit and kids will no longer come here

Apologies about the program being a "dumpster fire" will be accepted beginning sometime in March of 2018

Reaction Score
I think apologies are due from those who said he can't recruit and kids will no longer come here

Apologies about the program being a "dumpster fire" will be accepted beginning sometime in March of 2018

Why don't we see how the season goes first and then see if we can land some 4 and 5 star guys.

Just as the calls for our program being a dumpster fire were premature, you can't say everything is fixed now because we landed a few under the radar recruits.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
you can't say everything is fixed now because we landed a few under the radar recruits.

Please elaborate as to what you consider under the radar and who the few are?
Thanks

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score

That's fair and a realistic date.

Reaction Score
you can't say everything is fixed now because we landed a few under the radar recruits.

Please elaborate as to what you consider under the radar and who the few are?
Thanks

ahh there you are. still haven't figured out how to click on the "reply" option to quote posts?

We've signed 2 kids in the last two weeks. I think you know exactly who i am talking about and don't have any actual point to make.

Matthews is ranked 173. Kasinas is in the 300s. They both show promise that would indicate they could turn out to be much better than these rankings. That would make them under the radar.

So do you care to elaborate how this "fixes everything" (or anything) and why we should apologize to KO for being critical of the awful job he did leading the program for the last 18 months or so? or why we should take any approach other than wait and see before determining whether our issues are behind us?

Reaction Score
I think our Husky culture and pride in our legacy ... was one of the core reasons we've dragged through the last few years. Yes: I think Blaney + Hobbs + Miller was not the ideal fit for what KO needed. Plus my view is his divorce was / has been more a drag than we know.

The moves to Killings and Chillious are POSITIVE. Our recruiting is solid. While maybe ... maybe ... we won't win opportunistic high 5 guys like Rudy Gay (in Calhoun 17th year at UCONN), Chillious has proven he can pluck a First Round NBAer to a non Duke/KU/KY. Our location near NE Preps is ideal. We will have solid teams going forward.

Ollie Coaching? He's got to get better. But the guy has proven to me that he really is great at finding a Team their roles and adapting his strategy. This is a key year.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
ahh there you are. still haven't figured out how to click on the "reply" option to quote posts?

We've signed 2 kids in the last two weeks. I think you know exactly who i am talking about and don't have any actual point to make.

Matthews is ranked 173. Kasinas is in the 300s. They both show promise that would indicate they could turn out to be much better than these rankings. That would make them under the radar.

So do you care to elaborate how this "fixes everything" (or anything) and why we should apologize to KO for being critical of the awful job he did leading the program for the last 18 months or so? or why we should take any approach other than wait and see before determining whether our issues are behind us?

Both Kids were getting looks by many P5 programs - ranking doesn't make them under the radar
Never said everything was/is fixed nor didn't ask you to apologize for anything
You may consider KO's job as being awful the last 1.5 years - that's your prerogative

pj

Reaction Score

OK, never mind Ollie, you can apologize to the board for spreading your misery incessantly for six months.

Reaction Score
OK, never mind Ollie, you can apologize to the board for spreading your misery incessantly for six months.

Have I?

I think we are moving in the right direction and I think we are in for a strong season this year. I like the direction our recruiting is headed.

I don't see how taking a wait and see approach is spreading misery.

Reaction Score
Both Kids were getting looks by many P5 programs - ranking doesn't make them under the radar
Never said everything was/is fixed nor didn't ask you to apologize for anything
You may consider KO's job as being awful the last 1.5 years - that's your prerogative

Awful is probably over the top. But I wouldn't consider his performance very strong. Underwhelming is a better word.

i like both recruits and I like the direction our recruiting is headed. But I have never seen recruiting as our biggest issue; rather on court performance and player development/utilization.

Which is why I am saying we should wait to see how the team performs before making and judgements. I'm optimist for the upcoming season. But again it's wait and see and landing these recruits doesn't really impact that.

Reaction Score
KO lost 2 starting players last year. On top of that his big men, all 3 of them showed no progress or improvement. The team foundered and criticism naturally ensued. Players left or de committed in the offseason and I don't hold KO completely at fault, but there is no reason he couldn't be criticized. He's doing well recruiting as he should as a 3.5 million dollar head coach of a name program so that doesn't erase what was seen as coaching shortcomings. He has enough talent to make us competitive in the AAC this year and if it doesn't happen I think he's on the hot seat. Life can be brutal at his level of coaching fair or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom