Anyone remember these infamous losses / events? | The Boneyard

Anyone remember these infamous losses / events?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
2002, St Bonaventure's blows us out at home, this board (or maybe it was ESPN's) was in complete meltdown. Caron Butler lead a team of freshmen (and Johnny) on a massive year end winning streak that included a BET Title and a run the the E 8 where we were to only team to compete with the senior ladened Twerps

2004, Calhoun was named the "Uncoach of the Year". GA Tech destroyed us in the Preseason NIT then yapped about how they knew we couldn't match up with them. We met again in the NC game, arguably the least competitive nation title game in modern history

2011, 8-8 in the BEAST, an infamous "bubble team" heading into the BET. 5 games in 5 nights, an amazing Dance, and the first of two titles for Orlander, Bazz and Giffey

2014, it took two free throws from Brimah to send our first round game into OT. Then we proceeded to ruin a whole lot of dreams. That year, we were run out of the gym three times by Louisville, and Louisville was eliminated by UK who beat them 2x, and then we ended another dream for UK and Squid in the title game. Thank god UK took out Louisville :)

It happens, sometimes you need a little luck, you need to get hot at the right time, and you need to catch that wave

We're in the mix, that's all one can really hope for

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
2002, St Bonaventure's blows us out at home, this board (or maybe it was ESPN's) was in complete meltdown. Caron Butler lead a team of freshmen (and Johnny) on a massive year end winning streak that included a BET Title and a run the the E 8 where we were to only team to compete with the senior ladened Twerps

2004, Calhoun was named the "Uncoach of the Year". GA Tech destroyed us in the Preseason NIT then yapped about how they knew we couldn't match up with them. We met again in the NC game, arguably the least competitive nation title game in modern history

2011, 8-8 in the BEAST, an infamous "bubble team" heading into the BET. 5 games in 5 nights, an amazing Dance, and the first of two titles for Orlander, Bazz and Giffey

2014, it took two free throws from Brimah to send our first round game into OT. Then we proceeded to ruin a whole lot of dreams. That year, we were run out of the gym three times by Louisville, and Louisville was eliminated by UK who beat them 2x, and then we ended another dream for UK and Squid in the title game. Thank god UK took out Louisville :)

It happens, sometimes you need a little luck, you need to get hot at the right time, and you need to catch that wave

Again, it does such a disservice to compare those teams to this one, or Calhoun to Hurley. The argument people try to make isn’t being made

But, In 2011 and 2014 there were no expectations for us to win anything based on the squad and circumstances going into each of the seasons, even after the OOC slate success. 2011 we had, I think, the youngest team in the country coming off a disappointing year. Any wins that year were gravy. 2014, no expectations after what we’ve gone through after 2011. On top of that, those two squads had the best players in the country and arguably the best backcourt in the county in 2014. Something we don’t have

willie99

Reaction Score
Some of our best teams didn't win it all (or make the FF)

89/90 the dream season
93/94 with Donyell
95/96 with Ray Ray
05/06 with a bunch of 1st rounders
08/09 with AJ & HT & Sticks and Adrien

Most disappointing teams for me, not in any particular order

The early 80's with our Aircraft Carriers
88/89, thought we were finally dancing with Uncle Cliff after winning the NIT
05/06, George Mason
11/12, we lost Kemba & Jamal Coombs-McDaniel, but we added AD, DD and Boat, plus everyone else was a year older
16/17, Hamilton bails, Gilbert injured, Larrier injured... it's like we were repaying the devil for sold souls or something

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Don’t know how you are defining modern history, but UNLV over Duke by 30 was a little more dominant

Reaction Score

The got you question asked of KO before the the the UK game was . The team you are playing is hot loaded with NBA talent and they beat a team you lost to 3 times .
His response was Louisville is a great team and Pitino is a great coach ( knock on Calipari?) but remember this Ky team lost three time to Florida a team we didn’t beat once but twice .
I remember going to Kansas as number 1 and getting humiliated.
I also remember Nova and Kerry Kittles coming into to house and putting on a clinic .
Anything could happen in one game
2011 was a very young team and if you shut down Kemba it was over
However by the end of the year we added a little more fire power in Lamb and with tournament officiating not allowing the *mugging of Kemba we became a different team .
* watching replays of the run , KW lived on the FT line . Let a great player play by protecting him and life is very different .

Reaction Score

I remember this as well....as I detailed back in 2014. :)

willie99

Reaction Score
Correction. One foul shot. They were down 3 and Brimah grabbed an offensive rebound and put it in and was fouled.

better yet, and I know AB was not exactly a good free throw shooter

Last edited:

willie99

Reaction Score
The got you question asked of KO before the the the UK game was . The team you are playing is hot loaded with NBA talent and they beat a team you lost to 3 times .
His response was Louisville is a great team and Pitino is a great coach ( knock on Calipari?) but remember this Ky team lost three time to Florida a team we didn’t beat once but twice .
I also remember Nova and Kerry Kittles coming into to house and putting on a clinic .
Anything could happen in one game
2011 was a very young team and if you shut down Kemba it was over
However by the end of the year we added a little more fire power in Lamb and with tournament officiating not allowing the *mugging of Kemba we became a different team .
* watching replays of the run , KW lived on the FT line . Let a great player play by protecting him and life is very different .

Playing in conference was / is tough, especially if they let your best players get pushed around

Your observations about Kemba prove that point

Reaction Score
This team can beat anyone. We know it. We just have to go out and do it. Just get in the tourney and get hot...you know the deal.
I hope you’re right. At the moment, this will only occur if we win every game by double digits like at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately, we can’t expect to dominate teams in the tournament and this team has been prone to melting down at the end of close games. We need to learn soon how to execute in these situations and find the alpha male who will step up and lead at crunch time.

Reaction Score

When we played Georgia Tech the second time Calhoun took some offense to their comments that they handled us no problem the first time. JC said something like ,”You think you can run with us? You don’t know anything about running with us.” We blew their doors off. It’s pretty funny.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
When we played Georgia Tech the second time Calhoun took some offense to their comments that they handled us no problem the first time. JC said something like ,”You think you can run with us? You don’t know anything about running with us.” We blew their doors off. It’s pretty funny.

I don’t believe oak played first game. Or if he did he was immobile

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
IMO the worst loss ever was friggin' Latener's shot.... Still pains me to this day... The loss to George Mason is a very close 2nd
Couldn’t believe GM when it happened… Especially since it seemed like we seemed to find a way to get by in every game before. The Washington finish had me believing we were going to be able to get it done…. Was with my dad and brother that day and we were all speechless.

Reaction Score
I remember the G-Tech NIT game and the rematch. Had a friend who just liked to get under your skin and he was trying to get me going before the championship game. I just told him it's hard to beat a good team twice in one season and we essentially didn't have Emeka the first game. I think he played, but he was a shell of his usual self with the back spasms he was having. He tried to go, but you could tell he just wasn't right.

I actually remember all the games well, but I remember after the Brimah freethrow, turning to my dad and saying maybe this is our close call. Most championship teams have one scare along the way.

Reaction Score
Florida 94 is equal to both
Yeah, the Florida loss hurt more than George Mason, I think. We hadn’t been to a Final Four yet, and the missed free throws by Donyell seemed like more of a sure thing than Denham Brown’s missed three in OT. Winning four titles sure does take the sting off of all of those horrific losses.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom