Anyone know who's announcing tonight? | The Boneyard

Anyone know who's announcing tonight?

Reaction Score
I cringe watching ESPN Broadcasts of our games. No where near as good as our SNY team. I also feel like they want the game to be so close and competitive it comes across anti uconn.

I hope Lou goes off for 40 tonight.

Reaction Score
From the Cardinals women's basketball website:

GAME FACTS
Date:
Monday, Feb. 11
Time: 7:00 p.m. ET
Site: Gampel Pavilion, Storrs, Conn. (10,167)
TV: ESPN2; Adam Amin, play-by-play; Kara Lawson, Rebecca Lobo, analysts; Holly Rowe, sideline​

Adam is ESPN's headline play-by-play announcer right through the Final Four, unfortunately. And yes, it's a big step down from Eric Frede (and from his predecessor, Dave O'Brien).

Last edited:

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score

GAME FACTS
Date:
Monday, Feb. 11
TV: ESPN2; Adam Amin, play-by-play; Kara Lawson, Rebecca Lobo, analysts; Holly Rowe, sideline​

Adam is ESPN's headline play-by-play announcer right through the Final Four, unfortunately. And yes, it's a big step down from Eric Frede (and also his predecessor, Dave O'Brien).
I guess we can look forward to them discussing anything except what is actually happening on the court.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Which would UConn fans prefer: a blowout victory and rambling, inane commentary...

or

a close game throughout which would probably keep the announcers focused on the game?

If it's a blowout, they can probably spend lots of time talking about the Winter Games going on currently. Sadly probably no NFL/Super Bowl talk, since that's in the rear view mirror. Clothing for small dogs is always timely though.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
Which would UConn fans prefer: a blowout victory and rambling, inane commentary...

or

a close game throughout which would probably keep the announcers focused on the game?

If it's a blowout, they can probably spend lots of time talking about the Winter Games going on currently. Sadly probably no NFL/Super Bowl talk, since that's in the rear view mirror. Clothing for small dogs is always timely though.
I'll take the blowout, and so will my heart. ;)

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
You see, it's a bit funny. Rebecca calling a game without Kara is fantastic. Love her commentary. Same can be said about Kara without Lobo.

When they report away from the game on ESPN together (pre show, half, and post) I really like their chemistry.

But put them both together calling a live game and....well....I think we know how it goes. It's not entirely that bad for me.

They should stick to their strengths, tho.
:D

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Honestly I'm a grown up. I'm smart enough to see what's happening on the court and understand what it means. Announcers are secondary to me. 90% of the time what they're saying is irrelevant to me. Unless of course they're praising to the skies a player I love.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've seen a few games lately on Pac 12 Network w/ only one commentator. It actually works fine. She was able to keep up to date on the action on the floor, and add a few bits of other relevant info, but none of the rambling and off topic story telling. I don't understand having a broadcast team of 3. It's too crowded and overkill.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Honestly I'm a grown up. I'm smart enough to see what's happening on the court and understand what it means. Announcers are secondary to me. 90% of the time what they're saying is irrelevant to me. Unless of course they're praising to the skies a player I love.
Jordy-it would be nice to know what subs just came into the game or how many fouls a player just got or if, in their opinion, a call was missed.

Adam Amin is just brutal to listen to. He wants to placate either Kara, Rebecca or both and it comes across like he doesn't know the game.

It's sad when we have to turn the volume down, open up the ESPN game cast to see the scoring, personal fouls, steals and assists because you know, the actual announcers don't do their job. It also leads into the production booth when they want to constantly show the bench or the coach right after the basket and you miss the press, passing or action on the court for a mindless "character shot"...

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I sort of agree but I do like to know who committed a foul (when not obvious), maybe how many that gives the player and what was the call for the whistle when the call is off the ball and again, not obvious but these are often missed when they are rambling on.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

GAME FACTS
Date:
Monday, Feb. 11

Adam is ESPN's headline play-by-play announcer right through the Final Four, unfortunately. And yes, it's a big step down from Eric Frede (and from his predecessor, Dave O'Brien).

Thanks for the response BC. Forewarned is forearmed. :cool:

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I agree with you to a certain point. When I'm AT the game, I know and see what's happening. When I rely on limited camera view, I NEED the announcing team to fill me in on what I cannot see. It is most frustrating when they (announcers) don't let us know who fouled, what was the call, etc.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jordy-it would be nice to know what subs just came into the game or how many fouls a player just got or if, in their opinion, a call was missed.

Adam Amin is just brutal to listen to. He wants to placate either Kara, Rebecca or both and it comes across like he doesn't know the game.

It's sad when we have to turn the volume down, open up the ESPN game cast to see the scoring, personal fouls, steals and assists because you know, the actual announcers don't do their job. It also leads into the production booth when they want to constantly show the bench or the coach right after the basket and you miss the press, passing or action on the court for a mindless "character shot"...
I can see what subs came in. Most of the time they wait kneeling before the scorers table. Even when they don't it's always clear to me as to who came in and who left. I can also plainly hear the PA when it comes to fouls and some subs. I keep a mental tally on fouls as well. As for missed calls, well, that to me is the most self evident. And don't blame the announcers when the producer misses camera.

As for steals and assist totals, if I have wait for the half to get those numbers it's all good for me. Generally I can tell who is doing well in those areas just by watching the game. I'm not a real analytics person and I don't need those numbers immediately. I'm more interested in the score, the demeanor of the players, are these teams playing hard, what kind of offense are the teams running, what kind of defense, which players on either team look like they came to play and who not, the flow and pace of the game, things like that. That pretty much tells me all I need to know. Maybe it's not enough for others , but it is for me. For me announcers can't detract from the things I'm looking for. They can really only add to it.

Reaction Score
I agree with you to a certain point. When I'm AT the game, I know and see what's happening. When I rely on limited camera view, I NEED the announcing team to fill me in on what I cannot see. It is most frustrating when they (announcers) don't let us know who fouled, what was the call, etc.

+1 here. This is where the SNY announcers do such a wonderful job, specifically Culmo. Also, I mean don't you get more relevant information from a friendly face in Justine? She's with the team year round.....

Reaction Score

or

Close for 3 quarters . Blowout 4th

Carnac

Reaction Score
+1 here. This is where the SNY announcers do such a wonderful job, specifically Culmo. Also, I mean don't you get more relevant information from a friendly face in Justine? She's with the team year round.....

Yeah. I've gotten use to Culmo and Frede. They're very personable, I like 'em!! :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'll take the blowout, and so will my heart. ;)

I agree. Gimme a blowout, especially against a top 5 team. I can deal with anything that comes after that. :D

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Give me a game like this and I don't care if 3 gerbals announce the game. :D

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You see, it's a bit funny. Rebecca calling a game without Kara is fantastic. Love her commentary. Same can be said about Kara without Lobo.

When they report away from the game on ESPN together (pre show, half, and post) I really like their chemistry.

But put them both together calling a live game and....well....I think we know how it goes. It's not entirely that bad for me.

They should stick to their strengths, tho.
:D

Three is just too many, almost always. I can't really think of a three-person booth that I've liked in any sport.

I usually watch games on mute now. If I rewatch a game, I'll turn on the commentary. I'm nervous enough without getting upset at the announcers. Once I know that ND has won (I'm not rewatching losses), then I'm curious as to what they had to say.

The commentators on these ACC Network games are especially brutal. Luckily, this weekend's ND game was on regional TV, so we got Lachina Robinson, who is pretty good.

Reaction Score
I sort of agree but I do like to know who committed a foul (when not obvious), maybe how many that gives the player and what was call for the whistle when the call is off the ball and again, not obvious but these are often missed when they are rambling on.
Yeah same here. Also when players are coming in and out of the game. It seems like these two things are no longer deemed worthwhile to report.

Reaction Score
After getting irritated last time listening to Kara Lawson’s vegetable preferences, I will be tuning into WTIC am to listen to their broadcast while I watch the TV on mute. The only problem is being able to synchronize the play action. If the TV is running ahead of the radio, it’s a simple matter to pause it a few seconds. If, however, the radio is ahead, there’s not much to be done.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I've gotten use to Culmo and Frede. They're very personable, I like 'em!! :D

I've been watching big east basketball since 1989 and I'm telling you there terrific. Over the years I really enjoyed Raftery, nance and packer. Ian Eagle and jim spanarkle are wonderful too. I even like Walton ha ha( I know it's love or hate). Anyways Culmo and Frede are right up there!!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is semi-irrelevant to me for a reason a few of you probably know. I am superstitious about big games and do not watch them live, so when I watch I'll have the box score and the play by play (which I never look at) should I desire. I'd rather get the hi-lites from fans like you anyway.

Reaction Score
This is semi-irrelevant to me for a reason a few of you probably know. I am superstitious about big games and do not watch them live, so when I watch I'll have the box score and the play by play (which I never look at) should I desire. I'd rather get the hi-lites from fans like you anyway.

Put on the game, grab a beer and tell your wife/GF to leave u alone for two hours. You need to run your house like a dictator tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom