Anyone have an update on Floyd? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone have an update on Floyd?

Reaction Score
Burna Boy Conspiracy GIF by J Hus

Reaction Score
I hope Floyd does not redshirt. He is physically ready and we are not all that deep at guard, especially with concerns about Hawkins ankle. I'm eager to see Corey play.

Here's the thing about redshirting -- it's not a decision you have to make now. We have four true guards, and the possibility of playing Martin or AJ as a Denham type 2. If at any point in the year someone gets hurt, or quits, and we want Floyd in the rotation, you play him. But you don't just give him garbage times minutes, like Springs got last year, and blow the year of eligibility if you don't need him.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing about redshirting -- it's not a decision you have to make now. We have four true guards, and the possibility of playing Martin or AJ as a Denham type 2. If at any point in the year someone gets hurt, or quits, and we want Floyd in the rotation, you play him. But you don't just give him garbage times minutes, like Springs got last year, and blow the year of eligibility if you don't need him.
Exactly. He can play up to four games and still keep a redshirt status. Keep him to fill in as a spot-minute injury replacement; no need to risk losing that status for garbage minutes

Reaction Score
Exactly. He can play up to four games and still keep a redshirt status. Keep him to fill in as a spot-minute injury replacement; no need to risk losing that status for garbage minutes
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that current rules stipulate that any player who touches the court loses the ability to redshirt for that season, barring a medical exemption. The 4-game thing is for football. There is a rule change in the works, but it has not gone into effect yet. This would explain why Floyd didn't even suit up.

Reaction Score
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that current rules stipulate that any player who touches the court loses the ability to redshirt for that season, barring a medical exemption. The 4-game thing is for football. There is a rule change in the works, but it has not gone into effect yet. This would explain why Floyd didn't even suit up.

Yes, that's my mistake. You're right. For a non-medical redshirt they cannot make a single appearance. They've been discussing a rule where a player can participate in 6-8 games and still maintain that status, but as of now that number is still 0... that's my bad

Reaction Score
Does anyone think Corey is going to be here 5 years?

Reaction Score
If he leaves well before that (not via the transfer portal), then we'll know we had a real good one on the team.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I think we may be too short in the backcourt to redshirt him. One more injury and we’re in big trouble.

Reaction Score
I think we may be too short in the backcourt to redshirt him. One more injury and we’re in big trouble.
You can always pull the redshirt if you want to. I’m not advocating for that but Coach K did that with Joey Baker a few years back. Randomly played him a bit late in the season. I’m guessing they wouldn’t dress him like Duke did if he redshirts, but the option is there.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think Corey is going to be here 5 years?
He is only 17 (turns 18 in January) so anything is possible.

I hope he's just so good in 3 years he turns pro.

Reaction Score
So I heard from a friend whose mother knows a friend of Corey's mother who says that Corey is redshirting. /s

Reaction Score
Injuries have a way of jumping up at any time. If he's not in trouble keep him around.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score

Redshirt: In Divisions I or II, redshirting refers to someone who is enrolled full-time at a school but does not play for an entire academic year for the sole purpose of saving a season of competition. Even though the student is otherwise eligible, a redshirt does not play in any college games or scrimmages in a given sport for an entire academic year. If you do not play in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. However, if you play in even one second of a game as a college student-athlete, you are not a redshirt.

I see articles where they discussed changing the rule, but looks like it never got passed.

Reaction Score
Selfishly I wanted to see him get some action this season, but I like this a lot knowing him, his family, and the staff think this is best. The fact that we will get 4 years of him starting next year with a full year of practice under his belt with the team is going to be amazing. He’s gonna be a beast.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom