Anyone else like this rule change | The Boneyard

Anyone else like this rule change

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The end of games are brutal. I was watching Cal and Arkansas. It was a 10-14 point game the entire time and the last 6 minutes took almost 25 minutes of real time.

If they want to make the game better... Reduce the shot clock to 30 and make non shooting fouls one shot and the ball in the bonus. It would end the never-ending parade of free throws in the end game that are mind-numbing.

Reaction Score
The end of games are brutal. I was watching Cal and Arkansas. It was a 10-14 point game the entire time and the last 6 minutes took almost 25 minutes of real time.

If they want to make the game better... Reduce the shot clock to 30 and make non shooting fouls one shot and the ball in the bonus. It would end the never-ending parade of free throws in the end game that are mind-numbing.
You'd rather watch a team stand there and dribble for 30 seconds?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BoatShow said:
You'd rather watch a team stand there and dribble for 30 seconds?

Wouldn't teams attempt to actually steal the ball?

I'd also like to give each team only 2 timeouts in the second half. The end of the UConn/Indiana game was silly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seton Hall and Niagara had over 100.

Reaction Score
It'll improve over time. The NBA implemented hand checking rules in the early 2000's and the game is much better off now.

Reaction Score
Wasn't some outlet reporting last week that games were actually slightly shorter this year? I forget who.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
johnhuskies95 said:
It'll improve over time. The NBA implemented hand checking rules in the early 2000's and the game is much better off now.

I'm not really getting at the hand checking rules. The end games are endless. They play the first 37 minutes at a decent pace and the last 3 in 20 minutes of real time.

Reaction Score
Referees are just proving how bad they actually are and how most never played the damn game.........that's what I see!

The FT parade is horrendous.........they have the option to make their own judgement and are not doing a very good job!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They have to do this. Handchecking had become ridiculous. By last season, the widespread clutching and grabbing would earn foul calls at Rucker Park, but weren't getting called in officiated college basketball games. They have also cracked down on flops, which was needed because the flops were dangerous in addition to being silly. I also think they are giving defenders verticality a lot more than they have in the past. You are seeing some pretty severe collisions not get called, which in many cases is the right call.

The players have to learn to play defense with their feet rather than simply grab the offensive player.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I do think the refs have to enforce the pace of game. It seems like coaches take 90 seconds to get a sub in when someone fouls out. If one team is not ready in 30 seconds, start play without them.

Reaction Score
What was wrong with college hoops before this ruled change? I loved it. I don't understand the changes at all... specially coming from the big east...

Reaction Score
I'm good with the actually hand check when a defensive guy grabs the hip or body part of an offensive player who is seemingly driving by him only to be forced in a different path.....I get that and like that enforced as well as the hip check and knees when they are used in that sense....but just a guy bodying to cover someone closer like your taught away form the ball and stopping cutters from crossing the lane is ridiculous.......and these stiffs don't seem to have a feel for this change

Reaction Score
Put me in camp of those willing to take short-term pain for long-term gain. Just seeing how difficult it is for Dook to defend without the hand-checking and charging rules is worth a season of adjustment. And ironically Dook is actually fun to watch now because their only option is to try and outscore their opponent (with help from the refs as always).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't mind the rule changes on their own but the effect of the combination of the rule changes is confusing the Refs. The hand check rules along with the de-emphasis of the Duke Flop (i.e. charge) allows that officials to take the easy way out. They literally don't know what to call. Every bit of contact is a blocking foul, even if it is initiated by the offensive player. It's like in football, where a flag is thrown on the slightest bit of contact down field.

Reaction Score
Put me in camp of those willing to take short-term pain for long-term gain.

I'm no longer convinced that there will be long-term gain. The officials seem to be so bad at calling the new rules that I'm starting to doubt that things will change as the season goes on. Guys who move their feet and keep their hands off the opponent are not getting rewarded.

Reaction Score
I'm no longer convinced that there will be long-term gain. The officials seem to be so bad at calling the new rules that I'm starting to doubt that things will change as the season goes on. Guys who move their feet and keep their hands off the opponent are not getting rewarded.
That's possible and another adjustment factor is the inconsistency in officiating and/or the fact that bad officials can really butcher the enforcement emphasis. I haven't seen that many games, but I think that's what you are describing. Given inconsistency and mediocrity in officials the change could veer into disaster.

Here's an article linked from Jay Bilas's twitter, has some stats at end to back-up that the change might be working.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20131126_Hands-off_policy_in_college_basketball.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#