anyone else hoping to play Kentucky next season? | The Boneyard

anyone else hoping to play Kentucky next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now with the Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, Julius Randle, Marcus Lee and James Young, they're already being said to have the greatest recruiting class ever, not to mention Aaron Gordon has them in his final 4 and Andrew Wiggins just met with Calipari today.

With all that hype, I would love to have them on the schedule! They may have all the high school talent in the world, but they're young. Would be a great game for us and especially KO if we got the W. However, Wiggins looked very scary. Hopefully he just heads to FSU.

Reaction Score
Now with the Harrison twins, Dakari Johnson, Julius Randle, Marcus Lee and James Young, they're already being said to have the greatest recruiting class ever, not to mention Aaron Gordon has them in his final 4 and Andrew Wiggins just met with Calipari today.

With all that hype, I would love to have them on the schedule! They may have all the high school talent in the world, but they're young. Would be a great game for us and especially KO if we got the W. However, Wiggins looked very scary. Hopefully he just heads to FSU.

I would play them in Nov , not march

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Aaron Gordon's going to Arizona. No way he ends up at KY

Reaction Score
Hopefully neither he nor Wiggins end up at UK. I would rather play them in November as well because a W over them will give us a lot of credibility with all their hype, however I would LOVE to play them in a national championship game and run them. I'm thinking of starting a fund where we raise money and pay Andrew Wiggins to come. Normally, I don't get excited about top recruits, as UConn is known for taking lesser names and turning them into phenomenal teams, however, Wiggins is looking like he's 50lbs away from having Lebron James type talent. Not that good, but this is the first high school kid in a long time that I remember being THIS impressive.

Reaction Score
Wait..

You could call it the Rudy gay fund...here's why

Gay's college recruitment and decision to attend the University of Connecticut over the University of Maryland were controversial. Gay had expressed a desire to attend Maryland and said that he grew up rooting for the team, but he ultimately chose UConn. Because of the heavy involvement of an AAU coach and a high school coach, there was the appearance of impropriety, although no NCAA recruiting violations were discovered. The NCAA adopted a new scheduling rule after UConn paid $25,000 to schedule a game against the Beltway Ballers, an ad hoc AAU team that consisted of Gay's former teammates. Although it violated no standing rule at the time, media observers and Connecticut staff considered it directly connected to the recruitment.According to individuals close to Maryland head coach Gary Williams, the recruitment demonstrated that rule bending is often necessary to secure highly touted players, which Williams said he is unwilling to do, even at the expense of recruiting.

Reaction Score

Gay's college recruitment and decision to attend the University of Connecticut over the University of Maryland were controversial. Gay had expressed a desire to attend Maryland and said that he grew up rooting for the team, but he ultimately chose UConn. Because of the heavy involvement of an AAU coach and a high school coach, there was the appearance of impropriety, although no NCAA recruiting violations were discovered. The NCAA adopted a new scheduling rule after UConn paid $25,000 to schedule a game against the Beltway Ballers, an ad hoc AAU team that consisted of Gay's former teammates. Although it violated no standing rule at the time, media observers and Connecticut staff considered it directly connected to the recruitment.According to individuals close to Maryland head coach Gary Williams, the recruitment demonstrated that rule bending is often necessary to secure highly touted players, which Williams said he is unwilling to do, even at the expense of recruiting.
UConn had been recruiting Gay since he was a sophomore, and Gary Williams is a hypocrite. The Pump Brothers funneled a number of their AAU players to Maryland doing the same sort of thing (Nik Caner-Medley comes to mind).

I didn't love the practice. But I also didn't like that Gary Williams pretended that was why Gay picked UConn, and that UConn was somehow dirtier than any other major program in doing this, when the reason was Williams died after the 2002 and essentially it was Weekend and Bernie's on the recruiting trail.

Reaction Score

You can be an idiot sometimes ya know sean.......It was found that many major programs had done the same thing prior to this charge by Williams (you wouldn't know because I mentioned "major" programs) so there was never anything there except the obvious jealous attempt by Williams to deflect the fact he lost a kid from his backyard to a better program! The amazing thing is you, A PC fan, knows more about it than the Husky and terrapin fans and that's pitiful!!

Reaction Score

That legislation was proposed by Northwestern (and the Big 10 Conference). The NCAA didn't respond to anything UConn did. I'm not sure what prompted Northwestern to propose it - maybe Minnesota getting four players of the same AAU team it played in exhibitions. But UConn and NW to my knowledge never once recruited the same player.

I don't know who PC played back then, but among other Big East teams, Villanova played the LI Panthers (got them Fraser and Sumpter), Boston College played the BABC All-Stars, and Syracuse played Upstate NY AAU (got them Craig Forth and later Paul Harris). Calhoun didn't play the Pump Brothers teams (EA Sports) and never got any of their recruits, so he did it his own way - one year was a Canadian team to try to get Denham Brown, one year it was a Louisiana team to try to get Brandon Bass, one year it was the Baltimore Ballerz. Not saying I like it - but there was nothing untoward about what he did. If you played EA Sports (hi Gary!) you were in that same business of funneling exhibition money to AAU programs with top recruits (Gary also liked to give the Pumps ACC Tourney tickets to sweeten the pot). Williams going public to whine about a practice he engaged in was really rather pathetic.

Reaction Score
Would playing an NIT team that lost in the first round to Robert Morris strengthen our out of league schedule??? ;)

Reaction Score
You can be an idiot sometimes ya know sean.......It was found that many major programs had done the same thing prior to this charge by Williams (you wouldn't know because I mentioned "major" programs) so there was never anything there except the obvious jealous attempt by Williams to deflect the fact he lost a kid from his backyard to a better program! The amazing thing is you, A PC fan, knows more about it than the Husky and terrapin fans and that's pitiful!!

It's referred to as the "Rudy gay rule"(google it). Commonly done, see Kevin Love at UCLA. Doesn't make it any less sleazy.

Reaction Score
It's referred to as the "Rudy gay rule"(google it). Commonly done, see Kevin Love at UCLA. Doesn't make it any less sleazy.

God this is sad. What the **** else do you have going on? There's gotta be something.

Reaction Score
Inspector seanc94 of the Rogues Island police. Boy seanzo, you really uncovered a big one!!!
Gary Williams complained about that, along with MD fans but UConn had Gay since his soph year. Williams made a huge deal of that to cover his butt.
BTW, MD, under Williams scheduled teams in a similiar way. Nothing illegle. Today it is. Then it wasn't....inspector sean...........

D

Deleted member 3149

Would love to see the matchup. Honestly, I hope they get Wiggins so we can beat the best recruiting class of all time. This would be one of the most electric games we've ever seen. May even be cooler than the Kemba/J.Wall matchup in 2009-2010 season.

Bazz and Boat against the Harrison twins would be insane.
Not to mention, Deandre and James Young/Alex Poythress going at it would be so cool as well.

Reaction Score
Would love to see the matchup. Honestly, I hope they get Wiggins so we can beat the best recruiting class of all time. This would be one of the most electric games we've ever seen. May even be cooler than the Kemba/J.Wall matchup in 2009-2010 season.

Bazz and Boat against the Harrison twins would be insane.
Not to mention, Deandre and James Young/Alex Poythress going at it would be so cool as well.

Can only play 5 at a time right so I agree........there will be many "AO attitudes" on that team already never mind if they add Wiggins.......Calamari doesn't care about the kids as long as he fields a team that could be the best.......who leaves doesn't matter

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sean, shouldn't a catholic school grad view Good Friday as a holy day of obligation and avoid being a cyber-nuisance?

D

Deleted member 3149

Can only play 5 at a time right so I agree........there will be many "AO attitudes" on that team already never mind if they add Wiggins.......Calamari doesn't care about the kids as long as he fields a team that could be the best.......who leaves doesn't matter

Calamari will only be around for a couple more years. My guess is he leaves before he allows himself to receive any violations.

Calamari at UMass...has wins vacated.
Calamari at Memphis...has wins vacated.
Calamari at Kentucky....every year has the #1 recruiting class and has an average of 5 players declaring for the draft each year. And nobody is skeptical in the NCAA office? Please...stop it.

Reaction Score
I do not say this in jealousy at all.......I like the kids we get and become a fan of them as much as UConn itself. I admit Andre was not a real Husky to me....good kid but left abruptly. How much fun can it be as a fan at UK and Calipari's one and done routine? Win or not, it can't be the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom