Anyone Catch the Maui Tourny Director? | The Boneyard

Anyone Catch the Maui Tourny Director?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
During the GT Cha'r'minade game they interviewed him while the game was rolling. One question was who do you decide to invite. Basically he said that they want to have a base of marquis teams with strong tradition and fan basis to come back often. Then he proceeded to real off programs like UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA then he sorta paused then said and UConn! Sounds like they will continue to invite UConn every 4th or 5th year (they don't want to have the same fields all the time). Then they will take an up and comer or someone playing well recently. He mentioned Gonzaga seems to be on a 5 year cycle and Baylor has earned the right to play there (they are in next years field). He also mentioned Memphis earning a spot this year.

I think the game is being replayed on ESPNU right now - the interview is mid way through the second half (iirc).

It will continue to be the preseason tourny for as long as they want it to be. And if you ever get a chance to get there - get there. I am definitely going the next time UConn plays again.

Reaction Score
Ya it seems like what they do is have a few schools in the rotation that are invited every 4-5 years. Last time we saw Duke was 4 yrs ago, and with Uconn they have gone in 2000, 2005, and 2010. It probably helps that Uconn has won the thing the last two times.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I don't think the '13 or '14 fields have been released but I would be surprised if UConn isn't in the 2014 field.

Reaction Score
this tourney has quickly become my favorite of the early season tourneys. there is always a talented field, its in Hawaii, and produces some great early season highlights/moments/excitement.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't think the '13 or '14 fields have been released but I would be surprised if UConn isn't in the 2014 field.
I think they mentioned during the broadcast that Syracuse would be there again in 2013. It seems that Duke, UCONN, KU, UK, Gonzaga, Arizona, UCLA, Cuse and Maryland (im probably missing one or two others) are in the usual rotation and they fill in the others spots with random teams every year. Having been twice I can attest, without a doubt, it is the single greatest sporting event wrapped around a vacation in the world. Ive been to world series, final fours , etc and Maui for UCONN hoops kicks all of their asses. If you can go in 2015, get there!

PS. my avatar is a picture of me and my buddy and Rudy Gay at the Maui Invitational in 2005. One of the cool things about Maui is the access you have to players. After the championship game in 2005 we waited around after the game and weasled our way on the team bus for pictures and then met everyone at the hotel afterwards to celebrate. Maui rules.

Reaction Score
2012 and 2013 fields seem pretty weak, but you never know what can happen. With Cuse, Pitt and WVU leaving the Big East UConn should get on a 4 year track. (unless we end up in the ACC then it will be a 7 year track)

Reaction Score
Went the last 2 Uconn years. Golf, game, beach, dinner repeat. Its the best. GA seating is great too.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
During the GT Cha'r'minade game they interviewed him while the game was rolling. One question was who do you decide to invite. Basically he said that they want to have a base of marquis teams with strong tradition and fan basis to come back often. Then he proceeded to real off programs like UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA then he sorta paused then said and UConn! Sounds like they will continue to invite UConn every 4th or 5th year (they don't want to have the same fields all the time). Then they will take an up and comer or someone playing well recently. He mentioned Gonzaga seems to be on a 5 year cycle and Baylor has earned the right to play there (they are in next years field). He also mentioned Memphis earning a spot this year.

I think the game is being replayed on ESPNU right now - the interview is mid way through the second half (iirc).

It will continue to be the preseason tourny for as long as they want it to be. And if you ever get a chance to get there - get there. I am definitely going the next time UConn plays again.
Does this mean UConn is an elite program and he saved the best for last? Or does the slight pause indicate UConn is almost an elite program?:)

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Does this mean UConn is an elite program and he saved the best for last? Or does the slight pause indicate UConn is almost an elite program?:)
We're starting to enter the conversation? In this case quite literally...

Reaction Score
I've been lucky enough to be at the last 2 Maui invitational and it's breathtaking. The island and the sun. The gym is amazing. It's bigger than alot of highschool gyms and get crazy. Uconn travels well and it was so awesome being out numbered by kentucky fans last year and destroying them. I can't wait to go back again. Also uconn is undefeated while I'm there so I gots to go now.

Reaction Score
2012 and 2013 fields seem pretty weak, but you never know what can happen. With Cuse, Pitt and WVU leaving the Big East UConn should get on a 4 year track. (unless we end up in the ACC then it will be a 7 year track)

Someone (Katz?) had a blog entry about the effect of realignment on these in-season tournaments. He said some tournaments who had, Pitt or Cuse and another ACC team have had to move teams around a bit. Funny that there will be no "true" BE team in Maui in 2013.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Then he proceeded to real off programs like UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA then he sorta paused then said and UConn!

That pause is why UConn better end up in a real league when this thing is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom