Anyone a little worried about the Big East this year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone a little worried about the Big East this year?

Reaction Score
unreasonably confident.
Please define what we are confident about (you provided no context) and then explain what is unreasonable about it.

Reaction Score
If you were under the delusion that the Big East is perennially the top conference you might be concerned. But understanding that that's not the case and that we have an excellent team this year drops my level of concern to almost zero. As far as the league goes, I think replacing good coaches is a significant concern. And the increasing ability of the p5 to gain a stranglehold on more sports than just football is a concern. The Big East is very lucky to have us right now

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
There are some talented, well coached teams in the NBE this year.

So far, Villanova is not among the top tier in the NBE, this season. But they could still jump up and surprise some teams.

Hokies knocked off OSU by 5, yesterday (neutral court) We beat them a bit harder than our 10 pt win suggests by the score. Still....

We are a very very good and deep team. But opponents are not going to just turtle when they see the name on the unis.

Reaction Score
Please define what we are confident about (you provided no context) and then explain what is unreasonable about it.
Nobody in the the Big East can match up with our physicality, and then we bring in Clingan. Then I start singing, "Turn off the lights, the party is over".
Nothing to worry about this year.

Just one example…

Reaction Score
Nobody in the the Big East can match up with our physicality, and then we bring in Clingan. Then I start singing, "Turn off the lights, the party is over".

Just one example…
So you take one post that you disagree with, and instead of quoting him/her, you attribute the attitude to the entire Boneyard,

and STILL fail to explain what's unreasonable about thinking no Big East team can match up with our physicality.

How many teams have a 1-2 combination currently performing as well as Sanogo/Clingan, while a 3rd player, Andre Jackson, looks like he'll make a strong argument for BE DPOY?

Reaction Score

Just one example…
What's unreasonable about that? We have the best center in the league backed up by the 3rd best center in the league. Really weird one to pull out, considering Villanova especially will struggle to deal with our size. I look forward to bringing this back up in two weeks time after a double digit win and 30+ points from the 5 spot.

Reaction Score

Just one example…
Still no context. You obviously saw who wrote that....also, to your Whitmore comment...meet Mr Jackson, Cam

Reaction Score
So you take one post that you disagree with, and instead of quoting him/her, you attribute the attitude to the entire Boneyard,

and STILL fail to explain what's unreasonable about thinking no Big East team can match up with our physicality.

How many teams have a 1-2 combination currently performing as well as Sanogo/Clingan, while a 3rd player, Andre Jackson, looks like he'll make a strong argument for BE DPOY?
I gave one example.

Conference play starts soon. We shall see!

Reaction Score
I gave one example.

Conference play starts soon. We shall see!
So you don't like the opinion here (shocking) and don't want to back up your disagreement with facts, opinions, data, or logic.....

Comedy Reaction GIF by Bounce

Reaction Score
From UConn's tournament perspective, there's not much to worry about. But there are always longer term implications to think about as well.

This is the worst start since the conference realigned in 2013. I think it's just a blip, especially with the new coaches in the league. But that still puts more pressure on UConn to perform to these new expectations AND has $$ implications later... we all want as many teams in the conference as possible to make the tourney and win, if only for the dollars and cents part of it. And of course, for the rest of the conference we all want UConn to do well so when we beat you it means more for our resume!

Reaction Score
It’s interesting to see the BY swing from overly pessimistic to unreasonably confident. Conference play has not started yet. Nova is the reigning Big East champ coming off a Final Four with an injured lottery pick that has now started to play (3-0 with Cam). Moore will return in the next month (injured before the Final Four). UConn’s rank is nice. Quality wins potential for Nova.
It's interesting how you post here telling us what is unreasonable. It's also interesting you think Justin Moore is good to go.

Reaction Score
The Big East is clearly behind the Big 12, Big Ten, and SEC, but it's still the 4th best conference. Other than Georgetown, there are no truly bad teams in the conference. The ACC has a bunch of teams weirder than DePaul.

The top 5-6 teams in the Big East will make the NCAAs. If UConn continues to play the way they are, they'll have no trouble getting a top seed.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In the past I was more of "WE are DOOOMMmmed" type of fan but this year I'm riding the wave as long as it will carry me to wherever it will go. These last three weeks have been physically heck for me but the emotional ride I got from this team easily distracted me in a good way.

I'd prefer the BE being stronger than it showed this year. But it matters not. It's been a long time since we were carrying the conference. Heck it's been a long time since we even did our part.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In 98-99, we went into every game thinking we're going to win. I honestly don't remember so many worrywarts. That's the attitude I think we need here.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing to keep in mind (as we are the only team in the conference that is currently ranked in the AP poll) is that we will be a lot of teams' super bowl this season. If nothing else it will toughen us up a little for tournament play.

Reaction Score
It's interesting how you post here telling us what is unreasonable. It's also interesting you think Justin Moore is good to go.
Moore is not good to go.

For Nova @ UConn at the end of Dec, Nova appears to be outgunned. Moore will not likely be back and Nova will not have much game time to gel around Whitmore. Whitmore is a big talent and we will have a shot, but UConn has much more time as a unit with its key pieces in place.

Expect Moore back in January, and Nova firing on all cylinders by March. UConn @ Nova in early March will be an important test for both teams.

I bet UConn has at least 4 losses before the NCAAs. That would be a great record, and UConn will have been tested by conference play. Nova should be under seeded due to the losses in the early season without Cam and Moore, but teams will not want to draw them.

Reaction Score
Moore is not good to go.

For Nova @ UConn at the end of Dec, Nova appears to be outgunned. Moore will not likely be back and Nova will not have much game time to gel around Whitmore. Whitmore is a big talent and we will have a shot, but UConn has much more time as a unit with its key pieces in place.

Expect Moore back in January, and Nova firing on all cylinders by March. UConn @ Nova in early March will be an important test for both teams.

I bet UConn has at least 4 losses before the NCAAs. That would be a great record, and UConn will have been tested by conference play. Nova should be under seeded due to the losses in the early season without Cam and Moore, but teams will not want to draw them.
It sure sounds like you think Moore will be good to go, I think you're going to be disappointed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm worried about you Willie. This is a blue collar team with the white collar talent. Are you ready to handle it?
Best of all possible worlds?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s interesting to see the BY swing from overly pessimistic to unreasonably confident. Conference play has not started yet. Nova is the reigning Big East champ coming off a Final Four with an injured lottery pick that has now started to play (3-0 with Cam). Moore will return in the next month (injured before the Final Four). UConn’s rank is nice. Quality wins potential for Nova.
Absolutely! You guys are lighting it up this year! It’s always tough to bet against a team with a Hall of Fame coach!

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
We've lost the opening round of conference play many times. If we can get past Butler in convincing fashion we should have a great big east.

Reaction Score
In 98-99, we went into every game thinking we're going to win. I honestly don't remember so many worrywarts. That's the attitude I think we need here.

I completely agree that this feels like the 99 team again. Talent, depth and hunger unlike anything we have seen since 99. Also Calhoun was a man on a mission in 99 and I get the same vibe from Hurley.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom