Anymore additions to 2014 recruit class? | The Boneyard

Anymore additions to 2014 recruit class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know we have Hamilton, Lubin, Cassell (& Purvis) coming in....does anyone know if we plan to add 1 more? I can see that it may depend on what Boat & Daniels decide to do. We definetly lose Bazz, Giffey, Olander & Kromah and Purvis is already on scholarship, so we have 1 slot open. Lyle still lists us but we seem pretty set at guard for now.

If Boat and Daniels stay we have 3 open slots for 2015 if we "save" the open 2014 slot. Ali is only 2015 recruit so far, so that would leave 2 slots for 2015 assuming all those on scholarship stay. Seems like we're after lots of top 2015 guys....let's hope we snag a front court stud and the best guard/wing Ollie can get. Nolan, Facey & Brimah will improve but we need more.

Slightly OT....do we ever get anything out of Tolksdorf? Doesn't seem like he fits into Ollie's plans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the last schollie for next year will be going to the next RJ Evans or Lasan Kromah, unless the staff really falls in love with a recruit or if a guy like Myles Turner were to call up and say he was coming to UConn. The 2015 class will be Jalen Adams, Prince Ali, and the best big man they can get. I think Tolk is a cross of Giffey and Olander, and not because all three are white. I think his senior year he will hit shots like Giffey but with the athleticism of Olander, and play the 4.

Reaction Score
I think the last schollie for next year will be going to the next RJ Evans or Lasan Kromah, unless the staff really falls in love with a recruit or if a guy like Myles Turner were to call up and say he was coming to UConn.
I think the NCAA may change the rule that allows Grad students with 1 year of eligiblity left to transfer without sitting out....you know because Uconn has had success with it...lol.

Reaction Score
I doubt it unless a good big becomes available.

Reaction Score
I think the last schollie for next year will be going to the next RJ Evans or Lasan Kromah, unless the staff really falls in love with a recruit or if a guy like Myles Turner were to call up and say he was coming to UConn. The 2015 class will be Jalen Adams, Prince Ali, and the best big man they can get. I think Tolk is a cross of Giffey and Olander, and not because all three are white. I think his senior year he will hit shots like Giffey but with the athleticism of Olander, and play the 4.
Two more crystal ball predictions for Adams to Uconn.

Reaction Score
I guess if a coach moves or fired then it could happen

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Heard Myles Turner might follow his friend Mudiay to SMU.

But I've been hearing a lot about these two 7' European teammates that played very well at a lot of FIBA camps and the FIBA competition. I think one is committed to Louisville and the other has a really good offensive game. I'm pretty sure we've never contacted him though, but I heard the only time he came to America he destroyed every big in the 2014 class with the exception of Okafor and Alexander. Don't remember their names, just remember hearing about them.

Reaction Score
Slightly OT....do we ever get anything out of Tolksdorf? Doesn't seem like he fits into Ollie's plans.

No. Ollie wants an athletic team with either physicality or speed at the 4.

I hope Tolksdorf is a good practice player and helps the team get better there, because otherwise he's tying up a scholarship that we desperately need to fill other positions. This seems like Exhibit A for not spending the scholarship just because we have one to spend. I know we were limited in the frontcourt when JC brought him on, but he couldn't really have thought Tolksdorf was the answer.

Reaction Score
Heard Myles Turner might follow his friend Mudiay to SMU.

But I've been hearing a lot about these two 7' European teammates that played very well at a lot of FIBA camps and the FIBA competition. I think one is committed to Louisville and the other has a really good offensive game. I'm pretty sure we've never contacted him though, but I heard the only time he came to America he destroyed every big in the 2014 class with the exception of Okafor and Alexander. Don't remember their names, just remember hearing about them.
Matz Stockman-Lousiville-Norway and Michal Cekovsky-uncommitted-Slovakia are the two

Reaction Score
No. Ollie wants an athletic team with either physicality or speed at the 4.

I hope Tolksdorf is a good practice player and helps the team get better there, because otherwise he's tying up a scholarship that we desperately need to fill other positions.
I am pretty much on the same page....feel bad for the kid (and us) if he's riding the pine 2 more years. It helps APR if he graduates I guess....maybe he finds a role next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Those guys (grad students who can play) are hard to find.
Would love to see us get Adams.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
LT has never gotten a chance to show what he can do. He played quite well for the German junior National Team this summer and showed that he has a good feel for the game. also, after TO, he has the most bulk and strength of the remaining bigs. It is hard to believe that he might not be better at boxing out and snatching rebounds than those who have tried and failed so far. He clearly is not a shot-blocker and he must not be playing impressively in practice.

Given sufficient playing time to play confidently, I think he would be a 40% three point shooter.
I do agree that it looks unlikely to happen at this point. Not fair to him to speculate about his transfer though.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised (and frankly a touch annoyed) that a nice big man recruit hasn't watched us play this year and thought to himself, "Huh, I could rip a dozen rebounds a game and put up double-double after double-double real easy on this team".

Maybe Lubin will be the guy.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Those guys (grad students who can play) are hard to find.
Would love to see us get Adams.
Several big men/strong rebounder types were on the market this year but it did seem like an aberration to have so many at one time (Black to Kansas, Moser to Oregon, Davis to SDSU and Pellom to Memphis etc.)

Reaction Score
I think the NCAA may change the rule that allows Grad students with 1 year of eligiblity left to transfer without sitting out....you know because Uconn has had success with it...lol.
That makes sense
Punish a kid that not only achieved the original goal of education but also serves as a roll model for others who think That goal is a dream.
My respect for Coach K commitment to education has been greatly dismissed by his stupid position.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I'm surprised (and frankly a touch annoyed) that a nice big man recruit hasn't watched us play this year and thought to himself, "Huh, I could rip a dozen rebounds a game and put up double-double after double-double real easy on this team".

If I'm a big man watching uconn I'm thinking brimahs going to get better and add some size and another year and off season in the weight rooms gonna help Nolan to.then you have facey going in to his second year and Lubin coming in.

Reaction Score

When was the last time UConn ran a set play for a big? I realize we don't have the talent down low to relay heavily on interior offense, but what big man recruit wants to play for a team that never throws the ball inside? That matters in recruiting.

caw

Reaction Score
When was the last time UConn ran a set play for a big? I realize we don't have the talent down low to relay heavily on interior offense, but what big man recruit wants to play for a team that never throws the ball inside? That matters in recruiting.

They post Olander and Nolan and do get them the ball occasionally. Daniels also gets some post touches. It is hard to post against a zone, so not against UL.

It's rare but not never and as you said, UConn doesn't have the players.

Even UL, how often did they really throw it into the post? Harrell did most of his damage on put backs, layoffs and a few jumpshots.

Memphis got Shaq Goodwin a few post touches but not a ton, considering his ability. Same with Nichols.

There just aren't a ton of bigs that teams can reliably throw the ball in the post, especially in college. Most bigs score on layoffs, put backs or pick and roll action. NBA is the same.

That is why a big like Embiid is getting rave reviews. He has a decent post game, amazing for a college freshman really.

Reaction Score

They made a concerted effort to give post touches to Alex Oriakhi. Running post up plays for our current crop of bigs is simply poor strategy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If I'm a big man watching uconn I'm thinking brimahs going to get better and add some size and another year and off season in the weight rooms gonna help Nolan to.then you have facey going in to his second year and Lubin coming in.

If you're a big man and anything about this front court scares you, you need to take up another sport.

If you're a top-50 front court prospect, you're going to look at our roster and think, "Holy crap, they're going to give me the starting job in August."

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
If you're a big man and anything about this front court scares you, you need to take up another sport.

If you're a top-50 front court prospect, you're going to look at our roster and think, "Holy crap, they're going to give me the starting job in August."

We're talking about high school kids who want 35 mins a game,we'd have two top 100 centers coming in if they looked at our roster like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom