Anybody see KO work officials? | The Boneyard

Anybody see KO work officials?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have not seen it once this year, and I am looking for it. Has anybody seen it? IMO this played a factor in the game getting out of hand. How the heck does a pressing team on the road avoid the bonus until 3 minutes left in the game? Because Rick Pitino is out of his chair from the first call shouting at the refs. How many bodychecks were uncalled, I thought I was watching the Whalers. The only time I see KO up is to yell to his players. He has got to start fighting for his team. Im begging for a T at this point.

Reaction Score
I love that he's the nice, class act that everyone loves, but that is not incompatible with lighting up the occasional official. I would like to see it happen sometime.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's why we lost, it wasn't because we haven't seen a press before or refused to come out of that piss poor 2-3 zone once Siva was back in the game. It was because we took it easy on the zebras

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's why we lost, it wasn't because we haven't seen a press before or refused to come out of that piss poor 2-3 zone once Siva was back in the game. It was because we took it easy on the zebras

Totally rational response.

Reaction Score
Nor smart. He wants to play Siva man to man
Ollie was trying to figure out how to get the D to switch from a 2-3 to man to man. That's why he wasn't working the refs

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I was screaming for KO to get a T today, when I wasn't screaming at the 3 jackwagons allowing us to get mugged

and no, I'm not blaming the officials for this loss. I concur with the OP, and I don't think Jimmy takes that tonight

Reaction Score
I was screaming for KO to get a T today, when I wasn't screaming at the 3 jackwagons allowing us to get mugged

and no, I'm not blaming the officials for this loss. I concur with the OP, and I don't think Jimmy takes that tonight

You kind of live with it on the road. But at your own house? He has got to start taking a stand.

Reaction Score
I have not seen it once this year, and I am looking for it. Has anybody seen it? IMO this played a factor in the game getting out of hand. How the heck does a pressing team on the road avoid the bonus until 3 minutes left in the game? Because Rick Pitino is out of his chair from the first call shouting at the refs. How many bodychecks were uncalled, I thought I was watching the Whalers. The only time I see KO up is to yell to his players. He has got to start fighting for his team. Im begging for a T at this point.

He is a rookie coach going up against a Hall of Famer. He is Kevin Ollie, not Jim Calhoun. You have to crawl before you can learn to walk. KO has been great this year, but fortunately, he has room to grow.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He is a rookie coach going up against a Hall of Famer. He is Kevin Ollie, not Jim Calhoun. You have to crawl before you can learn to walk. KO has been great this year, but fortunately, he has room to grow.
I was going to post something like this as well. KO will need to stand up to the refs but this isn't the time imo. They'll ignore him, or worse take it out on the team for two reasons. One is he's a rookie and they will be offended by an upstart. And two the team is not nationally prominent. It's far more important, imo, that KO develop respect with the refs so that when making a statement is necessary and important he will have the impact and support of the refs.

Reaction Score
I was going to post something like this as well. KO will need to stand up to the refs but this isn't the time imo. They'll ignore him, or worse take it out on the team for two reasons. One is he's a rookie and they will be offended by an upstart. And two the team is not nationally prominent. It's far more important, imo, that KO develop respect with the refs so that when making a statement is necessary and important he will have the impact and support of the refs.

Excellent points, fleud. Who do you think would have more respect from the refs, RP or KO? It's a no brainer.
KO is a newbie. If he continues at this pace, he will gain the respect in time.

Reaction Score

Refs will take that crap from a 40 year Hall of Fame vet like Calhoun.

Not from a first year coach still in diapers. Had no bearing on this game.

Reaction Score
Pitino was on the floor, out of the box screaming at officials the entire second half. I have no idea what he was complaining about though.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Pitino was on the floor, out of the box screaming at officials the entire second half. I have no idea what he was complaining about though.

maybe he thought Boat's charge should have been called a fragrant foul, or maybe he was complaining that KO was out of the coach's box, or maybe he was anxious because he never had a minute to relieve himself

Reaction Score

the 40 year vet was a kitten compared to what he was at KO''s age. Yes, he was already into his coaching career. But was he was a silent observer in his rookie year? I tend to think not.

Its about the next call, the next game. As for this one? Start blowing those whistles, people get into foul trouble, uconn goes to the line, the pressure gets scaled back, uconn possibly regains composure. All that would have no bearing on the game???

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
UConn never gets calls at home, this isn't anything new. And there were some blatant calls going against UConn tonight. I agree that KO needs to at least find a way to get in an official's ear, SOMEHOW. He can still be the classy, stand-up guy he is... but just become a part of the conversation with the refs so they know you're there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Maybe but it sure as heck has a bearing on the season, and the next. Sooner or later KO has got to make himself heard.

CL82

Reaction Score
yea im sure its a conspiracy, only uconn doesnt get calls at home
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Oh it's a conspiracy all right. # 1 team in the nation vs. a deam without post season prospects. This is the way is going to be this year. Get used to it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We're not going to get any calls this year. We're an upset alert team that is going to break team's bubbles. The BE wants as many NCAA Tournament teams as possible. There is no way their letting UConn play spoiler so easily. Ollie probably can't make a difference.

Reaction Score
Maybe KO should just try sarcastic clapping that he learned from one of his teammates - that'd get him a technical.

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe KO should just try sarcastic clapping that he learned from one of his teammates - that'd get him a technical.
At my middle school daughters game last night, the post players were getting hammered by the opposing team by obvious, and dangerous, fouls. The coach had a civil conversation with the ref but got T'd up for closing with "I've got to look out for my girls, if you are going to."
The a play or two later they called a foul on the other team, so I, of course, went to the loud slow clap and it was picked up by the rest of visiting crowd. In any event it was a good "T" on the coach becuase it changed the way the game was called from that point forward.

Whether it changes the game or not, whether he is ignored or not, KO needs to work the refs. He won't always be a rookie coach. He might as well start a dialog with the refs today.

Reaction Score
I thought this really affected the press break in the first half. I felt that every time we broke the pressure and had the guard come at the basket they would consistently back the ball out instead of going up strong. Thought that dictated the entire second half. More fouls on those drives might equalled less press. I mean they were allowed to press the entire half with penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing, as the refs were letting a lot of contact go near our basket early in the 2nd half.. No one expects KO to go off JC style at this point, and yes, he has to earn respect over time. He can just as well earn respect by saying the right things than by being silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom