Anybody know why we have pump fake fever? | The Boneyard

Anybody know why we have pump fake fever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't believe that the coaches are encouraging this move. Perhaps its me, but I have never seen so many instances where a player has a shot and pump fakes.

I actually would like to see @tcf15 make a music video using these clips as a dance step.

Seriously though, are they scared to shoot or is their a purpose (e.g. designed play) behind this.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can't believe that the coaches are encouraging this move. Perhaps its me, but I have never seen so many instances where a player has a shot and pump fakes.

I actually would like to see tcf make a video using these clips as a dance step.

Seriously though, are they scared to shoot or is their a purpose (e.g. designed play) behind this.

Looks like lunchtime pick up games at the Y.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I actually would like to see @tcf15 make a music video using these clips as a dance step.

i think they're scared... bc they do pass up open looks by doing that all the time... im assuming no confidence and or inexperience knowing their spots on the floor and their roles

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
i think they're scared... bc they do pass up open looks by doing that all the time... im assuming no confidence and or inexperience knowing their spots on the floor and their roles

I would say they're more unsure of whether or not it's a good shot and that brief moment of not having situational awareness gives the defense enough time to recover.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Depends on who you're talking about. Hamilton, Boat and Purvis do it to get guys off balance and try to drive by them. Phil because......well, he's just not good on offense

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

Remember Ed Nelson?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
We can't shoot for . I'd rather they pass up a wide open look for maybe a look at the rim, especially the way the game was being called tonight. We missed at least a half dozen wide open looks.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In DHam's case its a bad habit he needs to get rid of
For the others its either catching his habits or they do it out of nerves.
It is frustrating

Reaction Score
In DHam's case its a bad habit he needs to get rid of
For the others its either catching his habits or they do it out of nerves.
It is frustrating
DHam does it the most it seems.

Reaction Score
Hamilton's pump doesn't seem very convincing, it just kills time that he could be using to shoot and then they don't bite so he usually can't drive after it.

Reaction Score
I don't mind it early in the shot clock. It could get an opponent out of position and open up the middle. Later in the clock, if it's open, knock it down.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
I wish Omar started using the pump fake last night.. Early on he had a couple nice plays where he pumped in the corner, drove baseline for a jumper or a floater. The way he was jacking up 3s last night I think he couldve utilized that fake and had a better chance of finding rythem on a short range jumper... Rodney had a huge play where he drove baseline and found Boat wide open.. That was a play that made our offense actually look legitimate

Reaction Score
For most of our guards, the reason why they pump fake so much is because they can't shoot.
Or they can't shoot because they pump fake so much? Pump faking will throw off your timing unless you have time to re-gather yourself. By that time, the defense is already up on you and the only choice you have is pass it off or drive.

Reaction Score
Pump fakes are great, IF you can shoot and if it's not just for show. I mean you need to show it not just go through the motions like some of these guys do.

Funny thing is we also complain when guys don't use them.

Reaction Score
Pump fakes are great, IF you can shoot and if it's not just for show. I mean you need to show it not just go through the motions like some of these guys do.

Funny thing is we also complain when guys don't use them.
Mau some of the pump faking is done when a player isn't within 5 feet certainly while open. Then the defender 'finally gets there' then they dribble then pass.

In these cases its not to draw a foul, there just seems no intent to shoot. So why pump fake is all I'm asking, it just seems to happen a lot.

For DHam its like automatic, Purvis and Omar's got the fever as well. Boat ain't pump faking nobody he's shooting, he doesn't even pump fake to drive.

Maybe its me but I'm yelling for players to catch and shoot more this season than previous. Sure they will probably miss them, but they are open shots, so its puzzling.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Mau some of the pump faking is done when a player isn't within 5 feet certainly while open. Then the defender 'finally gets there' then they dribble then pass.

In these cases its not to draw a foul, there just seems no intent to shoot. So why pump fake is all I'm asking, it just seems to happen a lot.

For DHam its like automatic, Purvis and Omar's got the fever as well. Boat ain't pump faking nobody he's shooting, he doesn't even pump fake to drive.

Maybe its me but I'm yelling for players to catch and shoot more this season than previous. Sure they will probably miss them, but they are open shots, so its puzzling.
The first line is your answer. They're trying to draw the defender to the perimeter to space the defense.

Reaction Score
The first line is your answer. They're trying to draw the defender to the perimeter to space the defense.
Ahh . . . . . . . blind man now see. Didn't know it was designed.

Reaction Score
Do you remember Sam Young on Pitt? His pump fakes were Ridiculous.
He had a unique way of doing it where he would rise onto his toes while simultaneously pump faking; the defender would bite, and he would just blow by.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ahh . . . . . . . blind man now see. Didn't know it was designed.
Yep! From the Courant:
GREENVILLE, N.C. – It may have been the shortest halftime talk in UConn history. The Huskies, trailing by nine, were back on the floor within four minutes.

"I said enough, let's leave it at that," coach Kevin Ollie said. "And they took it and ran with it."

The Huskies were exhorted to play tougher, to stop gunning three-point shots, and Daniel Hamilton was told to stop allowing his man to get behind him.

You can get teams to guard you tight on the perimeter if you have a rep of being a great 3 pt shooter and coach hammers into your skull to play opponent tightly. Otherwise you got to be creative. It's instinctual to run out when you see the guy going up no matter how badly they shoot. Since our guys not named Ryan don't have that cred they have to resort to trickery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom