Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide? | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not sure where she will go, but her comment about building a brand does worry me. Nothing personal,but I like the kind of players we usually recruit. I'm starting not to want her. Hope she finds what she wants,but I don't think Uconn is the right fit. Sometimes I take pleasure in these recruits worrying about such things, while losing to us year after year. I would actually prefer it that way. Go somewhere else and watch from afar while our girls collect rings and have the Uconn brand speak for them.
Sigh. I too admit sometimes. Well, okay. Often.

Reaction Score
Not sure where she will go, but her comment about building a brand does worry me. Nothing personal,but I like the kind of players we usually recruit. I'm starting not to want her. Hope she finds what she wants,but I don't think Uconn is the right fit. Sometimes I take pleasure in these recruits worrying about such things, while losing to us year after year. I would actually prefer it that way. Go somewhere else and watch from afar while our girls collect rings and have the Uconn brand speak for them.

That quote bothered me too. Already in my mind I've started to move on without her.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. The irony is that, if her "brand" is what matters to her the most, UConn is the best place for her. No one creates icons like UConn does. See, Taurasi, Bird, Moore and Stewart. At UConn, you focus on team and your brand takes care of itself. The truly great ones understand that.

If she was singularly focused on academic prestige, ND gives her a little more of that. If she goes to TX, she gets...actually, I don't know what she gets there. If she goes to UConn she gets the best basketball experience and preparation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Jewell Loyd played with Skylar Diggins in 2012-2013, the last season ND and UConn played in the Big East. During that year, they met three times: once during the regular season, once in the Big East Championship and once in the NCAAs. ND won 2 of the three: the regular season match and Big East Championship, with UConn taking the national championship game. Interestingly, ND's high scorer in all three games was Kayla McBride, not Diggins or Loyd.

From there on, UConn won all three games against the ND with Loyd in the lineup. They met only once in 2013-2014 -- the national championship game were both came in undefeated and UConn took it to them, 79-58. And they played twice in 2014-2015, with UConn winning the regular season match (in South Bend -- great game by Morgan Tuck) and the NCAAs.

So Loyd went 2-4 vs. UConn in her three-year career at ND."

Thanks Dillon77.

So let's see. What's more crushing, to win in the regular season and conference playoffs then to lose to UConn in the NCAA finals, or to lose in a game where you are undefeated and lose to UConn again in the NCAA finals, or lose in your final two games against UConn, one being in the NCAA's. I'd say losing four straight was crushing defeat after crushing defeat in itself. Although I may be wrong. She however did leave college early.

Edited: During that year, they met four times: twice during the regular season, once in the Big East Championship and once in the NCAAs. ND won 3 of the 4: the two regular seasons matches and Big East Championship, with UConn taking the national championship game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sounds like a certain former ND player and a current Tennessee player. I've seen some things from Megan that make her not look like a UConn player.
Full disclosure: I love me some Skylar, but this accusation that she was Building a Brand while at ND is unfounded. During her time at ND she was a great team leader and the most worthy and successful opponent UCONN has had in the past 2 decades. She did take advantage of opportunities post graduation like signing with JayZ and that corny thing she did with Drake but those opportunities were the result of working her butt off. Speaking of butt there was the SI bikini shoot-Thanks Skylar- but I digress. My point is I don't remember Skylar at any point during her ND days doing anything close to "brand" related. She just played hard.
A HS kid focused on improving her brand is admirable in one sense but not what I remember of Skylar.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Full disclosure: I love me some Skylar, but this accusation that she was Building a Brand while at ND is unfounded. During her time at ND she was a great team leader and the most worthy and successful opponent UCONN has had in the past 2 decades. She did take advantage of opportunities post graduation like signing with JayZ and that corny thing she did with Drake but those opportunities were the result of working her butt off. Speaking of butt there was the SI bikini shoot-Thanks Skylar- but I digress. My point is I don't remember Skylar at any point during her ND days doing anything close to "brand" related. She just played hard.
A HS kid focused on improving her brand is admirable in one sense but not what I remember of Skylar.

Coco...I went back to various ND archives (student paper/magazine) and have come to the same conclusion. The product that Skylar worked on during her four years at Notre Dame (I was going to say South Bend, but she's an SB native) was ND Women's Basketball. And she did that by first pushing herself and then, in turn, her teammates. If there was an initial "brand," it was her inspirational, take-no-prisoners approach that led to South Bend fans populating the stands (they still do) and more top-rated players coming to play at Purcell Pavilion.

Sky still, btw, comes to ND practices and works over (ooops, works with) guards that MM wants to show some inspiration and/or tough love.

Post-graduation branding discussions aside, DT had good things to say about Sky and Kmac during the Trials. DT, last time I checked, only say what she means.

Reaction Score
You could argue Skylar's focus on increasing her social media presence as evidence of brand building.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. The irony is that, if her "brand" is what matters to her the most, UConn is the best place for her. No one creates icons like UConn does. See, Taurasi, Bird, Moore and Stewart. At UConn, you focus on team and your brand takes care of itself. The truly great ones understand that.

If she was singularly focused on academic prestige, ND gives her a little more of that. If she goes to TX, she gets...actually, I don't know what she gets there. If she goes to UConn she gets the best basketball experience and preparation.
Stewie had the #1 selling jersey in the WNBA this year. She built her brand by winning 4 NCAA championships, 4 Final Four MOPs, and 3 NPOYs. Once the accomplishments are there, building the brand follows.

Reaction Score
Stewie had the #1 selling jersey in the WNBA this year. She built her brand by winning 4 NCAA championships, 4 Final Four MOPs, and 3 NPOYs. Once the accomplishments are there, building the brand follows.

I have to defend MW a bit on this, she said that she wants to continue to develop her brand after college.............not sure what brand development other then becoming a great basketball player could take place during her four years so I'm assuming that's her plan just like every other great player

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You could argue Skylar's focus on increasing her social media presence as evidence of brand building.

Perhaps, but her social media presence probably would not have blossomed if she didn't deliver the goods on the court. And to do that, she practiced, long and hard. Her work ethic was pretty legendary...Mike Brey used to hold her up as a way to approach the game.

BTW, I think Ms. Walker has and will continue to work her tail off at her game. Geno and Muffet have been around the block enough to see what this young adult is made of and that's why they're still after her to come to their respective universities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Jewell Loyd played with Skylar Diggins in 2012-2013, the last season ND and UConn played in the Big East. During that year, they met three times: once during the regular season, once in the Big East Championship and once in the NCAAs. ND won 2 of the three: the regular season match and Big East Championship, with UConn taking the national championship game. Interestingly, ND's high scorer in all three games was Kayla McBride, not Diggins or Loyd.

From there on, UConn won all three games against the ND with Loyd in the lineup. They met only once in 2013-2014 -- the national championship game were both came in undefeated and UConn took it to them, 79-58. And they played twice in 2014-2015, with UConn winning the regular season match (in South Bend -- great game by Morgan Tuck) and the NCAAs.

So Loyd went 2-4 vs. UConn in her three-year career at ND."

Thanks Dillon77.

So let's see. What's more crushing, to win in the regular season and conference playoffs then to lose to UConn in the NCAA finals, or to lose in a game where you are undefeated and lose to UConn again in the NCAA finals, or lose in your final two games against UConn, one being in the NCAA's. I'd say losing four straight was crushing defeat after crushing defeat in itself. Although I may be wrong. She however did leave college early.
They played 4 times and ND won first 3 by 12 total pts and lost to Uconn by 18 in FF semi-finals.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would put Holdsclaw before Diggins. Tenn. best player ever.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Skylar attended ND from 2009-2013, EVERYONE in the universe was looking at increasing their social media presence during that time. You even signed up for the Boneyard in that time frame and Geno got a twitter handle as did Skylar.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Anybody have new info on Megan Walker and her impending decision?

Flyguy, I'll bet when you posted this inquiry less than two months ago, you never thought it would generate over 70,000 hits. :eek: .........and counting. This just proves the over whelming interest UConn Nation has in Megan Walker. :rolleyes:

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I just think it proves how little else there is to talk about. :D

So, how about the weather? Seems like it might rain again tomorrow OH MY GOD I WONDER WHAT THAT MEANS REGARDING MEGAN um, but Thursday, probably more rain.

:)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I just think it proves how little else there is to talk about. :D

It's like that every summer. No breaking news, unless we get a transfer(s) coming in like we did this year, or a player leaves (like we did this year). Maybe a noteworthy coach gets fired (or should be fired) or maybe has criminal charges / a civil suit filed against them. There's nothing much to talk about.

Sometimes we have to manufacture our own fodder to chew on. Thank goodness for the WNBA, and the world games. We still get to see our recent graduates at the next level, and we get to see the upcoming stars of tomorrow still in high school.

We (Defacto coaches) have fun every year trying to help (outguess) Geno with his starting line-up for the up coming season.........like we did this year. I think we came up with about 8-9 different lineups. This year it was Megan mania. Next year it will be ???? To quote former Buffalo Bills head coach Marv Levy: "Where else would you rather be than right here, right now"?

If you're a WCBB fan in general, or a UConn fan specifically, this is the place to be. We have some of the most knowledgeable fans in the country here. If you don't believe me, just ask them, they'll tell you. We'll figure out something. We always do. I love it here in the yard. It's the only place I get to hone my "skills"...........prognosticating. :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Edited: During that year, they met four times: twice during the regular season, once in the Big East Championship and once in the NCAAs. ND won 3 of the 4: the two regular seasons matches and Big East Championship, with UConn taking the national championship game.
And beginning with the NCAA finals that year Jewel lost 4 straight times to The UConn, twice in the finals, once while riding an undefeated team. I'd say those were crushing, and perhaps part of her motivation to leave college early.

Reaction Score
Heck no! I never thought it would reach this many hits!
At the time when I posted it, we had just won #11 a month before & I was simply trying to get the latest news on Megan Walker. It's absolutely amazing that it has turned into the unofficial Megan Walker update thread.
However, other than asking the question and reading everyone's posts (daily) I really haven't contributed all that much. So in reality, everybody that has posted in this thread is 100% responsible for the popularity & success of this thread. You guys are the ones who made this thread "blow up" like it did.
This thread is a direct testament to the passion, obsession, and pride that we have as a fan base for the greatest women's college basketball program of all-time.
If Megan Walker goes elsewhere, we will be disappointed ... but c'mon. Notes Dame needs much more help than 1 player to even come close to OUR LEVEL. Just ask the Gamecocks how that worked out for them.

WE ARE UCONN!
Every single one of these programs wants what we have. Every one! And yes of course we aren't going to win it all every year. Let them have there 1 or 2 championships. (Notre Dame has 1 championship right now, how cute) WE HAVE 11!!!
No matter what - they will NEVER BE UCONN! Nobody will. There is only 1 UConn & ...
Winning National Championships is what we do!

WE ARE UCONN!!! It doesn't get any better than that.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
So, how about the weather? Seems like it might rain again tomorrow OH MY GOD I WONDER WHAT THAT MEANS REGARDING MEGAN um, but Thursday, probably more rain.

:)

105 degrees here in Los Angeles, and would sure love that rain you have gotten right about now...although I'd rather have KLS raining 3s all season than get .01 inch of rain over the next 6 months

You all are pretty much correct...what else could we talk about? Certainly our anticipation and vigor for discussing recruits makes for a very decent discussion in the off season.

I'm waiting for this MW announcement to die down so that we can work on another 70K views and 500+ messages arguing who the starting 5 will be this season....aren't we a little late on that discussion? Seems odd to me, like MW is some kind of sorceress that has us all under her branding spell...which we all succumb until that final decision. Man, she is one smart cookie...I'd delay my decision as long as possible if I were her as well. More anticipation = more followers, devotees, and definitely garners the spotlight IMO

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would put Holdsclaw before Diggins. Tenn. best player ever.
By percentage of wins it would be Holdsclaw or might be CP-I did not check. By total number of victories it is Skylar .
Career record against UCONN Holdsclaw was 4 Wins 2 Losses. Skylar was 7 Wins vs. 7 losses. Not bad considering that Skylar lost her first 6 against UCONN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom