Anybody else up for an alt UCONN uniform? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anybody else up for an alt UCONN uniform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nevermind... this could happen, I dont want this to happen

264732_484061608290057_607863505_n.jpg

Reaction Score
It's merchandising. It gives fans a new jersey or mini-helmet to buy.

Reaction Score
You know what kids consider: The coaching staff, facilities,opportunities for playing time, overall program, the school, the current players, the location, the food in the dining halls, the dorm rooms, the women, How much they are wanted, opportunites for playing time, and did I mention opportunities for playing time? I'm sure black uniforms figures in there somewhere, but if you have a chance to play right away as a freshman at the place with plain old white and blue but not until you're aRS senior at the place with the snazzy black alternate unis, the blacks ain't changing the decision.

I get that some fans think they would be really cool. Just like some fans thought the orange-red t-shirts they gave the students for that basketball game were snazzy. But I seriously doubt that the fact that Nike gave us butt-ugly uniforms for 1 game had any influence on Omar Calhoun's decision to attend UConn. And I doubt that having black uniforms that make us indistinguishable from Rutgers, Arizona, or ugh, UMass, will really influence anyone to come to Storrs as opposed Akron. I don't oppose an alternate, but as I said, I favor more of a throwback approach. The NFL has had great success with that. Ohio State has done it, Michigan, Notre Dame has, Nebraska is doing it (though again I'd try and avoid clown suits like Nebraska is wearing, or like Michigan wore for that Notre Dame game. I htought the Notre Dame unis were less offensive personally.

I feel you freescooter... but the reality is fashion statementes are now a part of college sports ( football ) whether you or I or your kids or the kid that's still in college playing likes it or not... Santini's last comment pretty much illustrates what I'm trying to get across... Kids need to go to a school for the right reason, but some of this visual stuff gets a school noticed by a kid that, otherwise, might not have... All you need is a window of opportunity ... sometimes it's as small as a fashion statement.

Reaction Score
You know what kids consider: The coaching staff, facilities,opportunities for playing time, overall program, the school, the current players, the location, the food in the dining halls, the dorm rooms, the women, How much they are wanted, opportunites for playing time, and did I mention opportunities for playing time? I'm sure black uniforms figures in there somewhere, but if you have a chance to play right away as a freshman at the place with plain old white and blue but not until you're aRS senior at the place with the snazzy black alternate unis, the blacks ain't changing the decision.

I get that some fans think they would be really cool. Just like some fans thought the orange-red t-shirts they gave the students for that basketball game were snazzy. But I seriously doubt that the fact that Nike gave us butt-ugly uniforms for 1 game had any influence on Omar Calhoun's decision to attend UConn. And I doubt that having black uniforms that make us indistinguishable from Rutgers, Arizona, or ugh, UMass, will really influence anyone to come to Storrs as opposed Akron. I don't oppose an alternate, but as I said, I favor more of a throwback approach. The NFL has had great success with that. Ohio State has done it, Michigan, Notre Dame has, Nebraska is doing it (though again I'd try and avoid clown suits like Nebraska is wearing, or like Michigan wore for that Notre Dame game. I htought the Notre Dame unis were less offensive personally.

I do remember hearing of recruits who were all too happy to not have to wear the same uni twice at Oregon, and it was part of their decision, for better or worse it was, you just can't tell what really drives a kid to make any decision

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I feel you freescooter... but the reality is fashion statementes are now a part of college sports ( football ) whether you or I or your kids or the kid that's still in college playing likes it or not... Santini's last comment pretty much illustrates what I'm trying to get across... Kids need to go to a school for the right reason, but some of this visual stuff gets a school noticed by a kid that, otherwise, might not have... All you need is a window of opportunity ... sometimes it's as small as a fashion statement.

You may be right but I think alternative uni's are pretty far down on our 'game day experience' to do list. Fill the rent, getting people to wear our colors to games, getting the band more involved on game day (less canned music and sideline reporting) getting better turnout for the spring game are all higher priorities, IMO.

Reaction Score
I'd like to have good old Jonathan doggy face, on the sleeves and/or hips again.

Other than that the C on the helmet, and on the chest tag, and a nice clean lines, conservative blue/white uni with some red trim, is perfectly fine by me.

It's not what your uniform looks like before the game, that really matters, it's what it looks like after.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
can i umass rant for a sec?

drop the black and stick with maroon. go to a block M. counter uconn basically. now your building a rival...

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
blue and chrome helmets lets blow the place up !

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
can i umass rant for a sec?

drop the black and stick with maroon. go to a block M. counter uconn basically. now your building a rival...

I was going to start a thread on this. Should we set up an annual game with UMass? They are a natural rival, at least in terms proximity and history. Or should we follow the BC model and ignore them in the hopes that it keeps them down?

Reaction Score
Don't mess with our great looking unis. And stop with all the prattle about how the the Oregon kids go there for the uni's. They go for the coach and maybe for some extra stuff (ahem), but it's not the uni's. You want to give us a boost? Forget the unis, hire Skip Kelly. Then watch all the other teams ask for those great "UConn type" unis.

Reaction Score
You ever add too much bleach to whites and get that blueish tint? It's almost phosphorescent. I wonder if you could make the white uniforms get that behind the scenes blueish tint, with a national flag blue helmet and matching numbers, names in dark blue. Under artificial light(not sun light) ..... like night games it might even give the appearance of glowing. That might be something different.

Reaction Score
I second that. Really like that helmet...darker blue..slightly smaller logo.

Reaction Score
Our best uniforms were when we looked Like the giants. These uniforms need to lose the pinstripes. Looks like quasi- futuristic clothing. I appreciate a more old school look.

Reaction Score
The swooshy stripes on the pants along with the piping that never ends are the worst. The classic three stripe on the pants and maybe even on helmet would be nice slight adjustments to an already classic uniform. Throw in that johnathan helmet once or twice a year or flip flop the helmet to white with the navy 3stripe, never ever use Black in any of our uniforms and we'll be playing in the Big 10 in no time.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I liked Oklahoma State's flat grey uni's and helmets.

oklahoma_states_postmodern_makeover_is_black_and_gray_and_orange_all_over.jpg

I'd prefer it a bit darker (insert 50 shades of grey joke here), like the color they painted Navy boats in WWII. The light grey / silver that ourbball teams used looks basically like white on TV, not distinct enough. I think football unis, all grey jerseys, helmets and pants would look good with blue trim. And give the helmets a matte finish. Of course, some fans would like it but ~67% of our fans would hate it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
no matter which way you argue the uni thing, it has to be painfully obvious by now that u either join the game or kids think your not about "it". from the newest of teams in umass to the oldest most historic in nd. everyone is rocking something. its time we join.
play_nduni1_sy_576.jpg

when u dont spend the couple extra bucks on a uniform, kids wonder what else are they not buying into. to older ppl it may be tradition or w/e branding wise. but to younger ppl and ppl who are advising these kids its a sign of $$ flowing in a program or not. play the game or get left behind. like i said earlier, i dont need to see a md type train wreck, just join the club with a black uni for 1 night game a year.

Reaction Score
Going into another direction here but BC's 'ignoring' us has really paid off fabulously for Gene DiFilippo, eh?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
We wear dark blue; black uniforms aren't necessary and are a cliche at this point. I would rather work in a little red (like the hoop team always has) and get numbers that are easy to read from the stands and on TV. And put a stripe on the helmet.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
no matter which way you argue the uni thing, it has to be painfully obvious by now that u either join the game or kids think your not about "it". from the newest of teams in umass to the oldest most historic in nd. everyone is rocking something. its time we join.
play_nduni1_sy_576.jpg

when u dont spend the couple extra bucks on a uniform, kids wonder what else are they not buying into. to older ppl it may be tradition or w/e branding wise. but to younger ppl and ppl who are advising these kids its a sign of $$ flowing in a program or not. play the game or get left behind. like i said earlier, i dont need to see a md type train wreck, just join the club with a black uni for 1 night game a year.

Um...Dan? Trust me when I say this. NOBODY is happy about those ND uniforms......nobody!!

For more on that, check out the comments on this article (and how many "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" they received):

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...new-uniforms-for-soldier-field-game-vs-miami/

I'm not saying that a special uniform for certain games or a re-evaluation of one's look isn't in order. What I'm saying is.....those ND uniforms are arguably the worst things that I have seen in all of college football, including at least 3 of the Maryland uniforms!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Um...Dan? Trust me when I say this. NOBODY is happy about those ND uniforms......nobody!!

For more on that, check out the comments on this article (and how many "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" they received):

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...new-uniforms-for-soldier-field-game-vs-miami/

I'm not saying that a special uniform for certain games or a re-evaluation of one's look isn't in order. What I'm saying is.....those ND uniforms are arguably the worst things that I have seen in all of college football, including at least 3 of the Maryland uniforms!

i saw the feedback. but all that doesn't matter to the kids. guess what they do with those jerseys.
-they make girls wear nothing but them right before they
-they sell them and autograph them for things
-they closet them and frame them 10 years from now
-they burn them at a party if they transfer or finish school

all the perception doesn't matter by alums and fans etc. if about what the kids view things as. cool unis are cool unis, they are additions to closets and show wealth in a program. its simple. if it was other wise, then so many schools wouldn't be doing it. think about it. notre dame is historic, there must be a pretty good selling point were missing out on if notre dame is willing to put a clown nose on its helmet face mask and play vs michigan with it.

Reaction Score
I do remember hearing of recruits who were all too happy to not have to wear the same uni twice at Oregon, and it was part of their decision, for better or worse it was, you just can't tell what really drives a kid to make any decision
They probably flunked out after the first year anyway. just to make sure they wouldn't wear it 3 times.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
i saw the feedback. but all that doesn't matter to the kids. guess what they do with those jerseys.
-they make girls wear nothing but them right before they Fecundity
-they sell them and autograph them for things
-they closet them and frame them 10 years from now
-they burn them at a party if they transfer or finish school

all the perception doesn't matter by alums and fans etc. if about what the kids view things as. cool unis are cool unis, they are additions to closets and show wealth in a program. its simple. if it was other wise, then so many schools wouldn't be doing it. think about it. notre dame is historic, there must be a pretty good selling point were missing out on if notre dame is willing to put a clown nose on its helmet face mask and play vs michigan with it.

You are kidding yourself if you think that the players of ND are happy about those uni's! I'm imagining that most of those guys, prior to the Fecundity, are telling the ladies to wear nothing but the original golden dome helmet (because, well, they're just not as good looking as UConn women, so keep the helmet on). I guarantee you that those uni's are not viewed as cool by the kids. A look is a look, no matter what age-group is viewing it...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You are kidding yourself if you think that the players of ND are happy about those uni's! I'm imagining that most of those guys, prior to the Fecundity, are telling the ladies to wear nothing but the original golden dome helmet (because, well, they're just not as good looking as UConn women, so keep the helmet on). I guarantee you that those uni's are not viewed as cool by the kids. A look is a look, no matter what age-group is viewing it...
its more fun to take the jersey off, but if u have a dark visor on the helmet then all the power to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom