Any word on Tyler Polley? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any word on Tyler Polley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I doubt it. Tyler Dorsey plays for Olympiakos. He made 185 3-pointers in 2 years of college ball. Polley made 150 in 5 years, at a much lower percentage. Polley is the worst rebounding starting forward I've seen at UConn. I wish him well, but again, all he offers is average 3-point shooting. And he is not particularly prolific. He never made more than 5 3s in a game. In 5 years. Antonio Kellogg was a better 3 point shooter. Did he play for Olympiakos?
Don't remember, was Antonio 6'9"?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Good luck in whatever you decide to do Tyler Phommachanh - a true blue husky

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is all I meant really. I don’t consider making small change playing to be a very astute move for a guy who can probably do better in some other endeavor.

TIL - Making the median household income and more than the average starting salary of a 2019 UConn UG from business school is "small change"

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
60-80K right out of college without taxes or room and board while getting to travel and see the world is the opposite of small change...

It’s fine.

But there’s not a ton of those spots and it’s not easy to get them.

If the NBA draft was unlimited, where would Polley go? 200th? Now factor in the rest of the world and don’t confine it to one yearly crop of players.

I think Tyrese is going to play in the G League next year. I think Cole will have a ton of options overseas. Polley and Whaley are going to have to scramble.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
TIL - Making the median household income and more than the average starting salary of a 2019 UConn UG from business school is "small change"
You proved the point I was making. His basketball earning potential doesn't really exceed his non-basketball earning potential. The non-basketball route has a much higher chance that it turns into a career where his earnings grow. He has a degree and a year of grad school. If he can find a job playing ball in Spain or Italy or something, great. It would be a nice experience I'm sure. Jay Bilas did that too, before going to law school. One of my law school classmates played on the 1988 championship team. Most college athletes, even at this level, don't pursue a career in the sport.

In my first post (earning many dislikes) I said I don't think he has a future career playing ball. Meaning, even if he can do it for a couple of years, it's not a path with much long term future. I don't think that's harsh or controversial. I wished him well in whatever he does.

Reaction Score
You proved the point I was making. His basketball earning potential doesn't really exceed his non-basketball earning potential. The non-basketball route has a much higher chance that it turns into a career where his earnings grow. He has a degree and a year of grad school. If he can find a job playing ball in Spain or Italy or something, great. It would be a nice experience I'm sure. Jay Bilas did that too, before going to law school. One of my law school classmates played on the 1988 championship team. Most college athletes, even at this level, don't pursue a career in the sport.

In my first post (earning many dislikes) I said I don't think he has a future career playing ball. Meaning, even if he can do it for a couple of years, it's not a path with much long term future. I don't think that's harsh or controversial. I wished him well in whatever he does.
No I'm pretty sure polycom was being sarcastic and disproved your point. If he could make that much (tax free and not pay room and board) that definitely exceeds his average earning potential right out of college. And you say that he could do that for only a couple of years...

He could do that for 10 years and still be exceeding the average earning potential.

How much do you think people make right out of college? And then subtract how much the lose paying taxes, meals, and rent/mortgage...

He signed with an agent so someone thinks there's a market for his services.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is all I meant really. I don’t consider making small change playing to be a very astute move for a guy who can probably do better in some other endeavor.

If I’m him, I play basketball for a living.

He’s a young dude; plenty of time to get a desk job. Also, he’s the kinda guy I could see resurfacing somewhere as a graduate assistant. Bright dude.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No I'm pretty sure polycom was being sarcastic and disproved your point. If he could make that much (tax free and not pay room and board) that definitely exceeds his average earning potential right out of college. And you say that he could do that for only a couple of years...

He could do that for 10 years and still be exceeding the average earning potential.

How much do you think people make right out of college? And then subtract how much the lose paying taxes, meals, and rent/mortgage...

He signed with an agent so someone thinks there's a market for his services.
Not more than the average college grad (and perhaps with a masters). But it doesn't matter. A few years from now, let alone 10, is no longer "right out of college". And they do have taxes in Europe.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Yeah my post went over your head, so I'll try a different route. Considering the average NBA career is 4.5 years, if he plays overseas for that amount of time he would have a career playing basketball...really even if it's a shorter amount of time but I digress. Secondly you are missing the part of about if you play for teams overseas they pay your taxes, room and board which (you seem like a smart guy and can figure out) is significantly more than someone graduating college college and getting a silly email job making the same amount.

Also, people with email jobs love hiring ex-athletes so it really is just another checkmark on his resume so really there is no downside for him here, unless he were to die(?) playing basketball.

The way you are thinking about this is a bit odd and you're dismissing the amount of players who were much worse who make a living in one of the many leagues around the world. If you were a D1 player who played significant minutes you can play overseas if you want, it'll just take work.

Reaction Score
Yeah my post went over your head, so I'll try a different route. Considering the average NBA career is 4.5 years, if he plays overseas for that amount of time he would have a career playing basketball...really even if it's a shorter amount of time but I digress. Secondly you are missing the part of about if you play for teams overseas they pay your taxes, room and board which (you seem like a smart guy and can figure out) is significantly more than someone graduating college college and getting a silly email job making the same amount.

Also, people with email jobs love hiring ex-athletes so it really is just another checkmark on his resume so really there is no downside for him here, unless he were to die(?) playing basketball.

The way you are thinking about this is a bit odd and you're dismissing the amount of players who were much worse who make a living in one of the many leagues around the world. If you were a D1 player who played significant minutes you can play overseas if you want, it'll just take work.
Thank you... ‍

Reaction Score

The lengths to which a normally pretty good poster will go to try to credit a player is exceptionally weird. And that's weird in a community of people weird enough to post on a message board about college basketball every day. We're already at an 8/10 on the weird scale on average, and Hawk is pushing a 14/10 with the Polley hate.

Reaction Score
It’s fine.

But there’s not a ton of those spots and it’s not easy to get them.

If the NBA draft was unlimited, where would Polley go? 200th? Now factor in the rest of the world and don’t confine it to one yearly crop of players.

I think Tyrese is going to play in the G League next year. I think Cole will have a ton of options overseas. Polley and Whaley are going to have to scramble.
Whaley will excel if he lands in a Japanese league. His game is a perfect fit for a 5 there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The lengths to which a normally pretty good poster will go to try to credit a player is exceptionally weird. And that's weird in a community of people weird enough to post on a message board about college basketball every day. We're already at an 8/10 on the weird scale on average, and Hawk is pushing a 14/10 with the Polley hate.
I don't hate him at all. He gave five years to UConn basketball, some during very lean times. He bleeds blue. Why would I or any of us dislike him? I wish him nothing but the best. I'd be thrilled if he's massively successful playing pro ball. Or as a coach. I just don't think he's as good a player as many of you seem to. Nothing more to it than that.

Reaction Score
I don't hate him at all. He gave five years to UConn basketball, some during very lean times. He bleeds blue. Why would I or any of us dislike him? I wish him nothing but the best. I'd be thrilled if he's massively successful playing pro ball. Or as a coach. I just don't think he's as good a player as many of you seem to. Nothing more to it than that.
I think you're just massively out of touch with the level of skill required to play basketball overseas. We have multiple walk ons playing professional basketball and I think even you would have to agree Tyler Polley has more talent than that

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Whaley will excel if he lands in a Japanese league. His game is a perfect fit for a 5 there.

Gavin Edwards has had a hell of a good life playing basketball there.

Reaction Score
where did Boo Willingham play? He hardly got any play when he was at UConn.
I know he played in Mexico and Saudi Arabia. I think maybe 2 or 3 other countries as well.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
where did Boo Willingham play? He hardly got any play when he was at UConn.
Isn't he the 7' guy that was well built. Not comparable to Polly. He was a 5.

Reaction Score
60-80K right out of college without taxes or room and board while getting to travel and see the world is the opposite of small change...
If Polley is a U.S. citizen, then he does not escape taxes. Doesn't matter where he plays. Nice fantasy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom