Any updates on our frontcourt???? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any updates on our frontcourt????

C

Chief00

Diarra, Cobb, Williams, and Carlton all interest me a lot. Hopefully they can play their way into having the most PT out of our bigs. In particular, I think the people who thought Williams wouldn’t play much will be dead wrong.

Onuorah is good to have as a solid rim protector/rebounder off the bench, but he appears to be an offensive negative. I also can’t inagine Whaley having much of an impact as a freshman given his narrow frame and inability to stretch the floor via shooting.

Then there’s Larrier and Polley to eat up minutes at the 4 in small ball lineups, which we may choose to go with fairly often if Vital and Gilbert both are the type you want on the floor 25-30 min/game.

Agree on Williams from what I have seen. He needs to learn how to best contribute in competitive games but his tool box contains more than just dunks.
When we discuss Adams, Larrier and Gilbert, etc - I often think of Vital. Somehow, I think the kid is a gamer who works hard and when the lights go on he steps up and produces. He is not star but he will be in the top 4 or 5 guys production wise.

I think KO will play primarily 11 guys. My current preseason Top 11 (ha ha)
- Adams - starts
- Larrier - starts
- Gilbert - starts
- Vital - backs up Adams and starts small ball
- Cobb - starts
- Williams - Rebounding & Blocks
- Polley - KO likes him
- Big Dave - backs up Cobb; starts against big teams?
- Diarra - perhaps best pure rebounder, but short for a 5; KO likes him
- Carlton - Polish offense - let’s see how his physicality is against other Bigs
- Anderson - backs up Gilbert

Note: I missed Carlton and Diarra the first time so I updated it. Assumes Sid’s waiver doesn’t come through

Last edited by a moderator:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Diarra, Cobb, Williams, and Carlton all interest me a lot. Hopefully they can play their way into having the most PT out of our bigs. In particular, I think the people who thought Williams wouldn’t play much will be dead wrong.

Onuorah is good to have as a solid rim protector/rebounder off the bench, but he appears to be an offensive negative. I also can’t inagine Whaley having much of an impact as a freshman given his narrow frame and inability to stretch the floor via shooting.

Then there’s Larrier and Polley to eat up minutes at the 4 in small ball lineups, which we may choose to go with fairly often if Vital and Gilbert both are the type you want on the floor 25-30 min/game.

Depending on injuries, or the rare chance he blew up a bit, Whaley's a great candidate to red shirt. Put some meet on those bones and get in some fundamentals work. For a 'potential' guy, that's usually the best thing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Agree on Williams from what I have seen. He needs to learn how to best contribute in competitive games but his tool box contains more than just dunks.

Outside of relative inexperience, what makes you think he can't?

C

Chief00

Outside of relative inexperience, what makes you think he can't?
That’s it relative inexperience in structured games - but from what I have seen - he has maturity of his 23 years - and I do think he can make that adjustment. He just has a very limited track record of doing that due to circumstances and his academic record. So yeah he needs to prove it. I think he will.

Reaction Score
That’s it relative inexperience in structured games - but from what I have seen - he has maturity of his 23 years - and I do think he can make that adjustment. He just has a very limited track record of doing that due to circumstances and his academic record. So yeah he needs to prove it. I think he will.

I think Ollie may want to keep some of the pressure off of him until he shows he can handle the academics since the requirements will be a step up from the community college. If he shows he can keep up with school and basketball thru the first semester and is progressing within the team structure then I think the sky is the limit for him with the only question being how quickly he develops. With his athletic abilities it would be hard to keep him off the floor if he can fit into the system and structure.

Reaction Score
When we discuss Adams, Larrier and Gilbert, etc - I often think of Vital. Somehow, I think the kid is a gamer who works hard and when the lights go on he steps up and produces. He is not star but he will be in the top 4 or 5 guys production wise.

I think KO will play primarily 9 guys. My current preseason Top 9 ( ha ha)
- Adams - starts
- Larrier - starts
- Gilbert - starts
- Cobb - starts
- Polley - KO likes him

Note: Assumes Sid’s waiver doesn’t come through
No Diarra?

pj

Reaction Score

- Adams - starts
- Larrier - starts
- Gilbert - starts
- Cobb - starts
- Polley - KO likes him

I think this is mostly right except Big Dave barely plays except when Cobb is in foul trouble, Polley's minutes get squeezed by Vital and Larrier as the year progresses, and Diarra gets a lot of minutes split among the 4 and the 5 which he plays in small ball lineups.

Reaction Score

- Adams - starts
- Larrier - starts
- Gilbert - starts
- Cobb - starts
- Polley - KO likes him

So you don’t think Diarra sees time. I believe he may start

Reaction Score
I see Tyler Polley playing quite a bit backing up Larrier but also on the floor at the same time a la positionless basketball, except for defensive match up issues. He is a tall 6;9 wing that can handle, score, and play defense. Diarra I believe will start at the 4, Cobb at the 5, with Carlton and Onuorah being primary subs as post players, Josh Carlton possibly seeing time at the 4 also. Williams and Whaley I'm not quite sure about, but they are both tall,6;7, 6;9, long, fast, and athletic and they both fit into an uptempo pace. I'm sure both can get rebounds and play team oriented ball. Either one of these guys could surprise and play much better than we might think. I'm hoping so. Wilson would be another player making us even more positionless. Could be some sweet basketball. Defensively I think we are going to be tough with all this size, matchup depth and mobility. I'm hoping that KO utiizes these players spreading minutes across the board. Great for chemistry, hopefully great for Ws too.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

No Diarra?

My apologies - oversight on my part. He will be in the mix with Cobbs, Big Dave, Carlton and Williams. Cobb’s and Carlton and perhaps Williams are ahead on offense; Diarra is perhaps most aggressive rebounder if his knees hold up.

Reaction Score
My apologies - oversight on my part. He will be in the mix with Cobbs, Big Dave, Carlton and Williams. Cobb’s and Carlton and perhaps Williams are ahead on offense; Diarra is perhaps most aggressive rebounder if his knees hold up.
An oversight here or there is ok, can't expect a casual fan like you to be completely up to date of the team.

C

Chief00

An oversight here or there is ok, can't expect a casual fan like you to be completely up to date of the team.
I am up to date within a week - but I plead guilty to an oversight of not listing them - I was doing something else and trying to finish this post. It is what it is.

Reaction Score

Whaley intrigues me as well. His numbers going from small school HS to prep were pretty impressive especially against Putnam. Maybe a year away, but think he will be a nice piece for UConn.

Reaction Score

I think KO will play primarily 11 guys. My current preseason Top 11 (ha ha)
- Adams - starts
- Larrier - starts
- Gilbert - starts
- Cobb - starts
- Polley - KO likes him
- Diarra - perhaps best pure rebounder, but short for a 5; KO likes him
- Carlton - Polish offense - let’s see how his physicality is against other Bigs

Note: I missed Carlton and Diarra the first time so I updated it. Assumes Sid’s waiver doesn’t come through

Whaley??

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Whaley intrigues me as well. His numbers going from small school HS to prep were pretty impressive especially against Putnam. Maybe a year away, but think he will be a nice piece for UConn.
I think it’s questionable so early in the process for anyone to start writing off players in terms of their ability to contribute this year. Ollie is going to play the players that give him the best chance to win, in Ollie’s opinion. After last year he has to. Whaley strikes me as a player who is hungry, with something to prove. Least attention among the new players then went out at 6’10” and was near the top in the Husky Run. In HS had really good performances against his toughest opponents.

The effective players in practice, as they start to develop the offense and defense, and the hardest workers will get the minutes. They will need more bulk/strength than Whaley has right now, but minutes are available. Whaley may earn some.

C

Chief00

I think it’s questionable so early in the process for anyone to start writing off players in terms of their ability to contribute this year. Ollie is going to play the players that give him the best chance to win, in Ollie’s opinion. After last year he has to. Whaley strikes me as a player who is hungry, with something to prove. Least attention among the new players then went out at 6’10” and was near the top in the Husky Run. In HS had really good performances against his toughest opponents.

The effective players in practice, as they start to develop the offense and defense, and the hardest workers will get the minutes. They will need more bulk/strength than Whaley has right now, but minutes are available. Whaley may earn some.
The two KO type players are Diarra and Anderson. He will give these two more playing time than others might feel is warranted due to your point about aggressive, effort and hard work.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Agree very much. I think he has a lot of savvy and suspect he is very coachable. He does a lot of things well and expect him to continue to grow. He is mentally and emotionally focused and not easily upset. He has bought into the need to give it all he has if he wants results. I also think his maturity on and off the court will lead to increased leadership on this team. That will help this team immensely going forward and help rejuvenate what this program has been about in the past. He is one of the somewhat hidden factors that has me looking forward eagerly to the ongoing restoration of Uconn BB to prominence. KO and Co. starting to put together a whole new foundation going forward. This is going to be a TEAM.

I

C

Chief00

That’s exactly what the expectation is for Chief. Not to recite today’s conventional wisdom - but to look ahead, take the risk and make an informed forecast.

Reaction Score
I dont think they both start, im sure Cobb will over one of them. But a lineup of JA, 'Rique, Terry, Diarra, and Williams would be very fun... Lots of fast paced action and guys that work their butts off.
Also I think Vital is a perfect sixth man/Marcus Smart role type guy

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom