Any updates on Dorka? | The Boneyard

Any updates on Dorka?

Jim

Reaction Score
She went to the locker room following her injury and I didn't see her return for the Big East trophy ceremony. And in the picture on the team twitter feed Dorka and Aubrey had to be photoshopped in. Any news?

Reaction Score
She went to the locker room following her injury and I didn't see her return for the Big East trophy ceremony. And in the picture on the team twitter feed Dorka and Aubrey had to be photoshopped in. Any news?
Geno said she cut her lip, had a few stitches and will be fine. But then he said that in his post-game presser, and he did not really attribute those comments to a doctor. So, we hope for the best. She was clobbered by that forearm and knocked to the ground. Would not be surprised if she sat through the next game.

Reactions: Jim
Reaction Score
Geno said she cut her lip, had a few stitches and will be fine. But then he said that in his post-game presser, and he did not really attribute those comments to a doctor. So, we hope for the best. She was clobbered by that forearm and knocked to the ground. Would not be surprised if she sat through the next game.
yes always a concern

Reaction Score
Why would she participate in Senior Night if she isn’t going to bolt??
Because she might not be sure yet. The point of no return for a decision has not yet been reached. I certainly doesn't look as promising as we thought before, but I don't think she has said she is not coming back either. That could come Sunday, much later, or never.

Reaction Score
Glad she's basically OK. Just me, or do others think that was that an obvious offensive foul?
Yes, I thought it was a foul. Whether or not it was intentional is a tougher call. Just because it was a bad hit doesn't mean it was intentional. The refs gave the offense the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
Yes, I thought it was a foul. Whether or not it was intentional is a tougher call. Just because it was a bad hit doesn't mean it was intentional. The refs gave the offense the benefit of the doubt.
Intentions do not matter in the case of excessive contact above the shoulders

• A flagrant 1 foul (men's) or unsportsmanlike foul (women's) involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player "swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders". This offense includes the former "intentional foul" of fouling an opposing player to prevent an easy breakaway score. In women's basketball only, the unsportsmanlike foul also includes contact dead-ball technical fouls. The penalty for a flagrant 1 or unsportsmanlike foul is two free throws and a throw-in for the opposing team at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul.

Reaction Score
Glad she's basically OK. Just me, or do others think that was that an obvious offensive foul?
They were too busy watching her feet for a walking call. The amount of banging and fouling under the hoop should be more a point of emphasis. Caroline got hurt on a no call as well. That my rant for the day

Reaction Score
They were too busy watching her feet for a walking call. The amount of banging and fouling under the hoop should be more a point of emphasis. Caroline got hurt on a no call as well. That my rant for the day
At least the play got reviewed. More times than not when a UConn player is on the receiving end of a hard, questionable, or obviously deliberate foul, no whistles are blown and there is no review. As you mentioned, Caroline is a recent example. Another recent example is AE getting body slammed on the court a couple of games ago. This is nothing new. Going back in time most Boneyarders should remember Crystal Dangerfield getting horse-collared by a Notre Dame player (deliberate - no call and no review) and KLS getting elbowed in the eye (met the criteria for flagrant - no call- no review) and she ended up looking like Rocky Balboa.
Thank you for allowing me to add my rant to yours, but I will not promise that it will be my only rant of the day. There’s a game tonight and I don’t want to miss any new opportunities.

Reaction Score
I do. I watched when it happened and when they did the replay, I saw her intentionally thrust her arm forward. I don't know what the ref's were looking at , but to me it was intentional.
Sorry, but I don't. When it is clear that contact between players will happen, and when one of the players involved is on offense and taking a shot, it is natural instinct to brace for the contact and also to try to balance yourself. This is why the forearm extended in front of the shooter, it is an automatic response. I didn't see anything obviously malicious, and I had to watch the various replays several times to even understand the sequence of what happened. The refs themselves watched reviews too to decide if any penalty was warranted and they decided no. I would substitute the word "natural" or "reflexive" for "intentional", as intentional implies a conscious decision to act in a certain manner, and I don't think that is what happened.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I don't. When it is clear that contact between players will happen, and when one of the players involved is on offense and taking a shot, it is natural instinct to brace for the contact and also to try to balance yourself. This is why the forearm extended in front of the shooter, it is an automatic response. I didn't see anything obviously malicious, and I had to watch the various replays several times to even understand the sequence of what happened. The refs themselves watched reviews too to decide if any penalty was warranted and they decided no. I would substitute the word "natural" or "reflexive" for "intentional", as intentional implies a conscious decision to act in a certain manner, and I don't think that is what happened.
But using a forearm to get past a defender can be, and has been, called an offensive foul. Liv gets called on it quite often. Again, IMO, this player raised her forearm into Dorka's arms and face intentionally to let her shoot the ball. In 9 out of 10 games, someone would have been called for a foul and if a foul is committed above the shoulders, it could be considered flagrant.
Isn't using a forearm to Dorka's face what happened?
But it doesn't matter, the game is over, so...

Reaction Score
The problem was that once they missed the call in the first place, their only option was to call a technical, which it clearly was not. So they just said it was a “basketball play” and moved on. It was clearly accidental but should/would have been a foul if they had seen it.

Reaction Score
I remember watching the replay several times and I saw nothing that qualified as Flagrant, Intentional or remotely purposely done. It was incidental and I 100% agree with your post! It just happens in most sports!!

Reaction Score
Dorka hasn't been playing many minutes, though she's played well when on the floor. Is this Coach Geno holding her out because of a nagging injury?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom