OT: - Any tips for putting better in golf? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Any tips for putting better in golf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If your green reading is the problem and you're unsure which way the green slopes, try to find the true straight putt. That will let you know which way your ball will break.

If it's speed, a decent rule of thumb is 1" back swing = 1 foot of roll. Same speed back and through. Your mileage may vary.

Hit it closer

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Try this. It did wonders for a guy who was breaking onto the tour. Afterwards he was Happy.

Reaction Score
Two things my coach taught me

1. Swing through the put. A lot of people stop once the putter hits the golf ball.

2. You have to learn how to read the green as well.

It ain't easy that's for sure. Good luck

Reaction Score
Light grip pressure, feel it more in your forearms instead of shoulders (shoulders will still rock), look at the hole while you practice stroke to get a feel….set up to ball, look at hole, look back at ball and go …there should be no wrist/hand movement, they should be stable.

Also when practicing, set tees up in a circle around the hole within 3 feet and try to lag putts in that circle

Reaction Score
Something’s off with my stroke or maybe the stance. Often, if I’m able to hit it on a straight line to the hole, my feet are pointing to the left a little. Maybe the ball should be more forward/behind when that’s happening? And, you need to be directly over the ball too, correct? I’m right handed and my grip is conventional with right hand below left.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I've gotten better at golf except for putting. How can I improve? I'm tired of 3 putting so often. Distance seems to be the #1 error- can't get it consistently near the hole, could be way short or way long. Anything over 2 feet and I get really nervous. Help!
I was consistently short on putts until Covid when our course put in PVC pipes. You just had to hit the pipe to sink a putt. Since then I have not been short. Someone told me a trick to put a brick behind the cup and just always either sink the putt or hit the brick.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Light grip pressure, feel it more in your forearms instead of shoulders (shoulders will still rock), look at the hole while you practice stroke to get a feel….set up to ball, look at hole, look back at ball and go …there should be no wrist/hand movement, they should be stable.

Also when practicing, set tees up in a circle around the hole within 3 feet and try to lag putts in that circle
Yes on grip.

Poor putters tend to death grip the putter which keeps your forearms tight.

On a scale of 1-10, grip about 2-3. I grip the lightest pressure you can to keep control of putter head.

No magic trick cures everything. Good fundamentals make it easier to know how to correct when things go wrong.

Don't dismiss the ball you play too. Whenever I am forced to find a new ball due to discontinuation first thing I do is try a new ball in the green. If it doesn't make a certain click when I putt it clean I won't play it.

Reaction Score
Tuck the right arm/elbow close as you can to your side. Get a grip that feels good for you in which you will not get wristy. Be slow pulling back and the same forward. The length of both back and forward should be the same all depending on length of the putt.

Also try a center shafted putter it helps you get over the ball more and see straight back.

Most of all practice, practice, practice!

Reaction Score
Yea, I mean there are countless things to try to do to improve and you just need to find what works for you. The fact Will Zalatoris can yip it in the hole with his style is all you need to know. One of the grossest things I’ve seen but it works for him.

Biggest thing is practice to develop feel

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
Short putts - short back swing and hit the middle of the ball

Reaction Score
If you want to be better at golf play with someone who is worse at it than you are

Reaction Score
1. Light grip pressure
2. The length of your backstroke should match the length of your through stroke
3. Consistency in the pace of the stroke. Meaning don't go back fast and decel through, and don't go back slow and then speed through the stroke.
4. Do the above and let the ball get in the way as opposed to striking the ball.
5. Aim small, miss small. Don't listen to people who say to hit it to a 3 foot circle cause if you miss it by 3 feet now you've got 6 feet.
6. Be more athletic. Think about a shooter. He just shoots, he doesn't go through a checklist before shooting. Do all your thinking prior to getting into your stance. Once over the ball, shoot.
7. When trying to read the green don't just look at your line. Look at the entire green. This will let you know if, for example, everything is funneling to the front left of the green.
8. Don't read greens with just your eyes. Use your feet too.
9. If you're over a 15 footer and the line is a ball out to the left, don't aim there. Instead find a spot, imperfection or something on the green about 6 inches in front of the ball and use that mark as your spot. Either over the spot or just left or just right. This also works on the tee shots and approach shots.
10. Practice!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
A few things that have really helped me:
  • Keep your head down through the putt. This advice is so cliche and overused for a normal golf swing, but so important for putting. Advice I got for a pro was to look at the ball and not move your eyes or head on short putts until you hear it hit the cup. My experience is that a ton of distance variability on golfers that struggle with it is mishitting putts.
  • Practice a ton of putts inside of 3 feet. You should be completely confident standing over those.
  • Mix up your lag putting practice. Don't hit 10 in a row from one distance and then move. Keep moving distances so you have to practice judging it and can't just keep making improvements based on your last stroke.
  • This last one you can take or leave. I switched from a traditional to a left hand low putting grip a few years ago. It has shaved a significant number of strokes off my score. It really helps me keep my wrists from getting too active. That's a pure preference thing though.
Forget every other post. this is the primary reason why putts are missed. Just not moving your head will make you a better putter

Reaction Score
Most of all practice, practice, practice!
This is it. To become good at putting you will need to spend a lot of time practicing.

My advice is get a putting lesson. Always good to get a set if eyes from a teaching pro, then as mau said, practice, practice, practice.

Reaction Score
Use theMickelson drill. Putt 3 balls from 3 ft from 12 o’clock. If you make all 3, move to 3 o’clock. Make all 3, 6 o’clock. When you make all 12 putts move to 6 feet. Whenever you miss one, start all over at 3 ft

Reaction Score
Take your wrist and hands out of putting..shoulders putt ..pick a line infront of ball ..using your shoulders to putt will give u better control of your distance and lines

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Every one agrees most 3 putts are the result of a poor lag putt on first attempt?

I'll add this for strategy. Figure out where the first putt has to end to have the flattest and most straight putt for the second putt.

For example, on a 20' straight up hill putt leaving it three feet short isn't end of the world. Have a 20' downhill or side hill putt and a 3' putt becomes real nervous.

Keep it simple on the green and around the course. Figure out what shot you need to hit to give yourself the highest probability of a simple shot on the next swing.

Reaction Score
The best putting advice I ever got was from Jack McConachie about 30 years ago.

"Hit your wedge closer to the pin"

I have used the look at the hole while putting for a long time. I trust my putting stroke so I don't need to watch it. Looking at the hole helps another in distance control.
If i could have done that I would have been a scratch golfer.
chipping costs and saves more strokes. And believe me I hit thousand of practice chip shots.
Because the greens are so fast in most AZ courses under-hit and it dies in the rough around the green, hard and it’s off the back side.
I almost rather come out of green side bunker than chip. At least the explosion creates a ton of backspin.
I used the Texas wedge whenever possible ,its ,more doable out here than CT.
As far a putting understanding the green speed is important in lagging which seems to be the problem,
if your not on the practice green before your tee time to get a handle on the speed of uphill , downhill , or side hill your missing out.
My routine was 5-10 minutes on the practice green and an equal amount on the range.
Sometimes the only clubs I used on the range were wedges just to get my swing right. If I’m cracking my PW 110 yards every time then stepping up and hitting a tee shot is no problem.
On short putts the pace of the ball should be enough to take the break out. Too soft and the green will dictate the break and it almost always away from the cup.
Yes on grip.

Poor putters tend to death grip the putter which keeps your forearms tight.

On a scale of 1-10, grip about 2-3. I grip the lightest pressure you can to keep control of putter head.

No magic trick cures everything. Good fundamentals make it easier to know how to correct when things go wrong.

Don't dismiss the ball you play too. Whenever I am forced to find a new ball due to discontinuation first thing I do is try a new ball in the green. If it doesn't make a certain click when I putt it clean I won't play it.
Death gripping any club hurts your game
Even on a driver it will result in shortening you swing and losing distance
The pro’s instructed me the grip should be like your holding a live bird in your hand. Firm enough that it won’t fly away soft enough not to harm it.
if I overgriipped I also tended to speed up my backswing resulting in a chop rather than a desired swing .
Before addressing a ball on the range getting the grip and tempo of the swing was the first thing I did. Then I started with wedges.
Putting especially lagging is getting a feel for green speed. That’s practice , I was never a good chipper so I became known as the master of the Texas Wedge.

Reaction Score
I had a pacemaker implanted a few years ago, I asked my doctor if I could start playing golf again and he replied no but you can putt. I said couldn't before and don't think I can now.

Reaction Score
Simplest, best putting tip ever.

Pretend there is a string from the bottom of you chin connected to a fish hook set in the bottom of you . This will help you keep your head perfectly still, no up and down, no side to side. Keeping you head perfectly still will give you a consistent reliable putting stroke.

Easy to remember. You're welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown