OT: - Any tips for putting better in golf? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Any tips for putting better in golf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds like progress.. Don't beat yourself up on those 10 footers.. PGA pros make only 40% of their putts from 10 ft.
If you knock off 1 putt/hole, you just took 18 strokes off your score. Congrats!

Reaction Score
There's a bunch of different studies out there but they generally have similar info since they are doing the same math.

Here's one article.

On average PGA Tour pros make 99% of 2-foot putts, 96% of 3-foot putts, 88% of 4-foot putts and 77% of 5-foot putts according to strokes gained pioneer, Mark Broadie. From 10 feet their one putt percentage is 40%, 23% from 15 feet, 15% from 20 feet, 7% from 30 feet, 4% from 40 feet, 3% from 50 feet and 2% from 60 feet.

And they have much nicer greens to putt on.

Reaction Score
Play the white tees, if you're not already

A much more important note than many know. Played Rolling Meadows in Ellington last weekend and 3 groups in front of us some younger kids were playing the tips and not one of the 4 were capable. Hence 1 group on each tee on the front 9 and a 2 group wait by 12 on the much tougher back 9. Also led to a 5 hour and 10 minute round and me having no interest in playing there again for a long while.

Played Portland Thursday and people of all ages knew what tees to play 3 hours 40 minutes....That’s golf!!

Reaction Score
A few things that have really helped me:
  • Keep your head down through the putt. This advice is so cliche and overused for a normal golf swing, but so important for putting. Advice I got for a pro was to look at the ball and not move your eyes or head on short putts until you hear it hit the cup. My experience is that a ton of distance variability on golfers that struggle with it is mishitting putts.
  • Practice a ton of putts inside of 3 feet. You should be completely confident standing over those.
  • Mix up your lag putting practice. Don't hit 10 in a row from one distance and then move. Keep moving distances so you have to practice judging it and can't just keep making improvements based on your last stroke.
  • This last one you can take or leave. I switched from a traditional to a left hand low putting grip a few years ago. It has shaved a significant number of strokes off my score. It really helps me keep my wrists from getting too active. That's a pure preference thing though.
Agree with all of this and the last one helped me as well lock my wrists and keep them from allowing me to mis-hit the ball.

Reaction Score
A much more important note than many know. Played Rolling Meadows in Ellington last weekend and 3 groups in front of us some younger kids were playing the tips and not one of the 4 were capable. Hence 1 group on each tee on the front 9 and a 2 group wait by 12 on the much tougher back 9. Also led to a 5 hour and 10 minute round and me having no interest in playing there again for a long while.

Played Portland Thursday and people of all ages knew what tees to play 3 hours 40 minutes....That’s golf!!
By the way in relation to this thread at Portland hit all but one fairway and shot 78. Why, well 36 putts may tell you most of the reason. I mean clueless like never before. Potentially the best part of my game and it was a damn no show. Missed 3-4 putts inside 10ft for bird and one of those turned into 3 - was the last one because I lost my mind and flicked a 2 footer.

So don't read my damn putting thoughts they don't work!:mad:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
By the way in relation to this thread at Portland hit all but one fairway and shot 78. Why, well 36 putts may tell you most of the reason. I mean clueless like never before. Potentially the best part of my game and it was a damn no show. Missed 3-4 putts inside 10ft for bird and one of those turned into 3 - was the last one because I lost my mind and flicked a 2 footer.

You played the greens even par. Sure, 36 is a high number of putts, but bottom line if you had hit all the GIR's you'd have shot par for the round.

Reaction Score

Sounds like you have the hard stuff figured out.. If you haven't read already.. May want to check out the book.. "Unconscious Putting" by Dave Stockton..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sounds like you have the hard stuff figured out.. If you haven't read already.. May want to check out the book.. "Unconscious Putting" by Dave Stockton..

Nah I can putt no worries this really was crazy even my buddies were wondering when I would start making them. Hands were like stone on and around the green for a day strange. Never worry about that part if the tee game as what it was normally low 70s day just timing. Had fun anyway just laughed it off nothing else to do.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I've gotten better at golf except for putting. How can I improve? I'm tired of 3 putting so often. Distance seems to be the #1 error- can't get it consistently near the hole, could be way short or way long. Anything over 2 feet and I get really nervous. Help!
Been wanting to answer this post. The answer is...

just freaking focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32