Any of these names sound promising for Diaco's replacement? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Any of these names sound promising for Diaco's replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought that we played our best football in the past 7 years under Weist.

Not that I think TJ would be a savior but the offense would be more fun to watch, and productive, if he was the OC.

all BD has to do is win two more games to survive, so he's in the 90-pct. range there. But I expect Benedict to force him to make a change at OC no matter what happens. Bad idea to bring old guys with long-ago ties into the that job. Should have been a red flag.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Bad idea to bring old guys with long-ago ties into the that job. Should have been a red flag.

But it worked so well with us in the past with GDL and PP! :mad:

Reaction Score
I know it isn't going to happen. But his reasons to pick UCONN over a USC/Texas/Florida would be:

- Coming home to New England. Sometime the family/friends and n0n-football reasons are overlooked in these decisions. He is a New England guy and he could come "home" and be THE KING.
- Job Security. If he goes 5-7 in his second year at a blue-blood program, his job is at risk. At UConn, he realistically doesn't have to worry about his job at all (barring any NCAA or legal issues). There is no room for a "hiccup" or bad year at a Blue Blood program when you are building. And the last thing he needs after short stints with the Eagles and 49ers, is to lose his next coaching job after a bad year in year 2 or 3.

I don't think he'd go 5-7 in his 1st year with us... IF he came here... More like 7-5...

Reaction Score
The best way to fix UConn program is it throw big money at a big name and assistant coaches. That way we win ,get the hoopla, and get into big conference. From where the money is coming from I don't know or do I know which candidate is the best for the job.

Truth.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Chief, you are finally coming around. Yes, you have many illusions.
I believe delusions is the term you and Chief were looking for.

Reaction Score
If they were to get Butch Davis it would solve a lot of problems as the football program would probably be gone in 5 years.

Reaction Score
I know it isn't going to happen. But his reasons to pick UCONN over a USC/Texas/Florida would be:

- Coming home to New England. Sometime the family/friends and n0n-football reasons are overlooked in these decisions. He is a New England guy and he could come "home" and be THE KING.
- Job Security. If he goes 5-7 in his second year at a blue-blood program, his job is at risk. At UConn, he realistically doesn't have to worry about his job at all (barring any NCAA or legal issues). There is no room for a "hiccup" or bad year at a Blue Blood program when you are building. And the last thing he needs after short stints with the Eagles and 49ers, is to lose his next coaching job after a bad year in year 2 or 3.
- EGO. He was labeled an offensive genius and a coaching maestro when he was at Oregon. His reputation and legacy has taken a severe hit in the NFL. If he goes to a USC or Texas and does well--then it is a ho-hum, good job. But if he were to take a job like UConn and build up the team and program to huge success, P5, challenging for the post-season tournament--then he is back to being a football genius and legend. Don't underestimate the role of EGO and over-inflated self-importance with Kelly. He wants to be THE BEST.
- Control. If he comes to UConn, he has complete control of the program and all that is associated with it. He can build it as he pleases (I think Edsall underestimated and underappreciated that control he had at UConn). He will call all the shots and not have to answer to anyone. At a Texas/Florida/USC, he will always have the "important donors" and boosters who will be all over him and exert control/power in the program. He will not have that at UCONN.
- Potential. We all know the potential of UConn. If he had success and brought some MOJO to the program, there is a lot of upside. Get UConn in to the B1G and have some success. The Northeast has become a college football vacuum. Rutgers/BC/Syracuse/Penn St all suck. Get UConn going, and they could own the NYC and Boston/New England media landscape. If you are the "it program" and are attractive to kids with the Kelly "aura" along with NFL experience, there is unlimited potential for recruiting. If you get to a place where you "own" NJ/NY and New England recruiting, there is more than enough players to build a championship caliber program (never mind that Kelly would have huge National appeal to recruits given his success, offense. and NFL experience). If one program "owned" the Northeast, it could become a national powerhouse.

Again, I do not believe that it will ever happen. But those are some reasons that would be in the "Pro's" column of a Pros/Cons list if he was looking at a UConn. If he wants a real challenge, job security, the potential to be a true coaching legend, and is interested in coming back to New England--then UConn would be there for him with open arms.

I sincerely appreciate your passion and enthusiasm. However, two of your statements in the (+) column are in actuality negatives and why UConn will not probably will not land a Big name. The Northeast did not recently become a college football vacuum. It always has been (e.g. in over 100 years of college FB, All of New England has not been a hot bed for 1-a football team). P-5 conferences are well established in NJ recruiting......an AAC team is not going to oust any of them from that dominance. Big name coaches probably have more insight into who ultimately will be in P5/P4 conferences than most AD's and university presidents. For those reasons, I agree with you.......they ain't coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
It's hard to overestimate just how excited our fanbase would become if we were playing a hurry-up offense and/or simply being more creative and daring. It starts with the coach. Does anyone think Oregon would have become "Oregon" if Diaco had been hired over Chip Kelly?

Reaction Score
Been hearing Bob Stoops is starting to get the 'Les Miles' treatment at Oklahoma. Any UConn fan would take him in a heartbeat assuming he'd ever give them the time of day, or whether UConn could even afford him in the first place.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I sincerely appreciate your passion and enthusiasm. However, two of your statements in the (+) column are in actuality negatives and why UConn will not probably will not land a Big name. The Northeast did not recently become a college football vacuum. It always has been (e.g. in over 100 years of college FB, All of New England has not been a hot bed for 1-a football team). P-5 conferences are well established in NJ recruiting.an AAC team is not going to oust any of them from that dominance. Big name coaches probably have more insight into who ultimately will be in P5/P4 conferences than most AD's and university presidents. For those reasons, I agree with you..they ain't coming to UConn.

New England was once very much a part of big time major college football when the Ivy League schools and service academies were perennial national powers. The problem is the eight Ivy League schools formally aligned in 1956 and decided to de-emphasize football with a bowl ban and no awarding of athletic scholarships. The service academies declined in stature soon thereafter, and nobody with the possible exception of Penn State ever filled that void. That's why the Northeast lags far behind the rest of the country in CFB fan interest. There's almost nobody alive anymore that remembers even the tail end of that era in the 1940's and early 1950's.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
No offense Nos but for your statement to have any merit, Oregon at the time they promoted Kelly to HC would have had to have been equivalent to UConn at the time we hired Diaco.

The reality is that UConn at the time we hired Pasqualoni wasn't close to Oregon hired Belloti (Kelly's predecessor).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek