Any of these names sound promising for Diaco's replacement? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any of these names sound promising for Diaco's replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying it will never happen. But here is my dream scenario:

We know Diaco has at least one more year before UConn would ever think of firing him (barring any legal or NCAA issues). So we have at least 1 or 2 more years of Diaco.

By that time, Chip Kelly should be fired from his 49ers gig. It is pretty clear that he is not built for the NFL. But his coaching and scheme has been proven without a doubt in college. I am sure if he becomes available, many schools will give him a huge check to take over their program--so it isn't realistic to come to UConn. But maybe we can go "all-in" as a last ditch effort to build our program up for the conference realignment Armageddon that will likely happen in 10 years. Give him $2.5MM/yr at UConn and hand the program over to him. Would he be willing to take a bit less money and sacrifice current prestige at a Football Blue Blood for a chance to come home to New England and build a program up from the rubble? What better way to prove his football genius (which has taken a severe hit the past few years in the NFL) than to build UConn up from the bottom of a G5 conference to contending in a P5 conference? His offense would fill The Rent every week no matter the results.

I am just day dreaming about the Saturday night in September 2022 , tailgating at The Rent with 65,000 other fans (Rent expanded) as the feared UConn offense is preparing to take on the staunch defense of Ohio State in the first ever official B1G conference game, with College Game Day live at The Rent--and seeing Lee Corso put on that Jonathan head and explain to Herbstreit how the high powered UConn offense is just too much for his Ohio State defense to handle...........OK, dream over. Back to non-stop RB draws up the gut of the defense for no gain and Diaco explaining how close we are go breaking through.Head bang

Reaction Score
I play this game why not the guy from North Dakota St. Dude just be 14 Iowa and won 5 consecutive NC.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
At the risk of encouraging future silly threads such as this, I will say that if we ever hired Butch Davis as head coach, I would give up my season tickets immediately for the same reason I would give up my tickets if we hired Art Briles, Bobby Petrino or any other slimeball as our head coach. I want to win football games as much as anyone else but not at the peril of turning our football program into a parole factory.

Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying it will never happen. But here is my dream scenario:

We know Diaco has at least one more year before UConn would ever think of firing him (barring any legal or NCAA issues). So we have at least 1 or 2 more years of Diaco.

By that time, Chip Kelly should be fired from his 49ers gig. It is pretty clear that he is not built for the NFL. But his coaching and scheme has been proven without a doubt in college. I am sure if he becomes available, many schools will give him a huge check to take over their program--so it isn't realistic to come to UConn. But maybe we can go "all-in" as a last ditch effort to build our program up for the conference realignment Armageddon that will likely happen in 10 years. Give him $2.5MM/yr at UConn and hand the program over to him. Would he be willing to take a bit less money and sacrifice current prestige at a Football Blue Blood for a chance to come home to New England and build a program up from the rubble? What better way to prove his football genius (which has taken a severe hit the past few years in the NFL) than to build UConn up from the bottom of a G5 conference to contending in a P5 conference? His offense would fill The Rent every week no matter the results.

I am just day dreaming about the Saturday night in September 2022 , tailgating at The Rent with 65,000 other fans (Rent expanded) as the feared UConn offense is preparing to take on the staunch defense of Ohio State in the first ever official B1G conference game, with College Game Day live at The Rent--and seeing Lee Corso put on that Jonathan head and explain to Herbstreit how the high powered UConn offense is just too much for his Ohio State defense to handle......OK, dream over. Back to non-stop RB draws up the gut of the defense for no gain and Diaco explaining how close we are go breaking through.Head bang

I'm with your 1000000% bro! was about to make a separate post on him.
IF/when Diaco leaves... Chip Kelly... (mic drop)
IF we really want to go P5 he'd be the guy to get us there with exciting football...
Chip's not gonna last in the NFL.. his offense is productive at that level (with the right pieces) but IMO his style fits P5 college football to a T.... Give him the bread.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The problem with the Chip Kelly pipedream, besides the obvious reasons it would never happen, is that; even if we paid him just as much as prestigious P5 level football programs, why would he pick us over them?

If Art Briles would even pick up Benedicts phone, we would sign him without even thinking. If you want to be big boy football, you need to accept it is nearly impossible to do it cleanly.

My realistic pick would probably be Franklin after he's canned next year at PSU. But by the end of next year, there will likely be better options. The new OC at Ohio St. wouldn't be bad either.

Reaction Score
I would totally look at a successful FCS coach if that's what it will take.
Forgot all about this guy.. Perfect fit here... His system wins consistently... even vs. FBS level opponents...

Reaction Score
The problem with the Chip Kelly pipedream, besides the obvious reasons it would never happen, is that; even if we paid him just as much as prestigious P5 level football programs, why would he pick us over them?

If Art Briles would even pick up Benedicts phone, we would sign him without even thinking. If you want to be big boy football, you need to accept it is nearly impossible to do it cleanly.

My realistic pick would probably be Franklin after he's canned next year at PSU. But by the end of next year, there will likely be better options. The new OC at Ohio St. wouldn't be bad either.
No to Franklin... More of the same defense stuff... with trouble on offense... We've seen this movie since Dan O left pretty much....

Reaction Score
Forgot all about this guy.. Perfect fit here... His system wins consistently... even vs. FBS level opponents...

Sorry K -- How is a Coach Klieman a "perfect fit" here @ UConn ??? (not at all dismissing his success the last two years)

1991–1993 Northern Iowa (DB)
1994–1996 Western Illinois (DB)
1997 Kansas (DB)
1999 Missouri State (DB)
2002–2004 Loras (DC)
2005 Loras
2006–2010 Northern Iowa (DB)
2011 North Dakota State (DB)
2012–2013 North Dakota State (DC)
2014–present North Dakota State

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

I know it isn't going to happen. But his reasons to pick UCONN over a USC/Texas/Florida would be:

- Coming home to New England. Sometime the family/friends and n0n-football reasons are overlooked in these decisions. He is a New England guy and he could come "home" and be THE KING.
- Job Security. If he goes 5-7 in his second year at a blue-blood program, his job is at risk. At UConn, he realistically doesn't have to worry about his job at all (barring any NCAA or legal issues). There is no room for a "hiccup" or bad year at a Blue Blood program when you are building. And the last thing he needs after short stints with the Eagles and 49ers, is to lose his next coaching job after a bad year in year 2 or 3.
- EGO. He was labeled an offensive genius and a coaching maestro when he was at Oregon. His reputation and legacy has taken a severe hit in the NFL. If he goes to a USC or Texas and does well--then it is a ho-hum, good job. But if he were to take a job like UConn and build up the team and program to huge success, P5, challenging for the post-season tournament--then he is back to being a football genius and legend. Don't underestimate the role of EGO and over-inflated self-importance with Kelly. He wants to be THE BEST.
- Control. If he comes to UConn, he has complete control of the program and all that is associated with it. He can build it as he pleases (I think Edsall underestimated and underappreciated that control he had at UConn). He will call all the shots and not have to answer to anyone. At a Texas/Florida/USC, he will always have the "important donors" and boosters who will be all over him and exert control/power in the program. He will not have that at UCONN.
- Potential. We all know the potential of UConn. If he had success and brought some MOJO to the program, there is a lot of upside. Get UConn in to the B1G and have some success. The Northeast has become a college football vacuum. Rutgers/BC/Syracuse/Penn St all suck. Get UConn going, and they could own the NYC and Boston/New England media landscape. If you are the "it program" and are attractive to kids with the Kelly "aura" along with NFL experience, there is unlimited potential for recruiting. If you get to a place where you "own" NJ/NY and New England recruiting, there is more than enough players to build a championship caliber program (never mind that Kelly would have huge National appeal to recruits given his success, offense. and NFL experience). If one program "owned" the Northeast, it could become a national powerhouse.

Again, I do not believe that it will ever happen. But those are some reasons that would be in the "Pro's" column of a Pros/Cons list if he was looking at a UConn. If he wants a real challenge, job security, the potential to be a true coaching legend, and is interested in coming back to New England--then UConn would be there for him with open arms.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I know it isn't going to happen. But his reasons to pick UCONN over a USC/Texas/Florida would be:

- Coming home to New England. Sometime the family/friends and n0n-football reasons are overlooked in these decisions. He is a New England guy and he could come "home" and be THE KING.
- Job Security. If he goes 5-7 in his second year at a blue-blood program, his job is at risk. At UConn, he realistically doesn't have to worry about his job at all (barring any NCAA or legal issues). There is no room for a "hiccup" or bad year at a Blue Blood program when you are building. And the last thing he needs after short stints with the Eagles and 49ers, is to lose his next coaching job after a bad year in year 2 or 3.
- EGO. He was labeled an offensive genius and a coaching maestro when he was at Oregon. His reputation and legacy has taken a severe hit in the NFL. If he goes to a USC or Texas and does well--then it is a ho-hum, good job. But if he were to take a job like UConn and build up the team and program to huge success, P5, challenging for the post-season tournament--then he is back to being a football genius and legend. Don't underestimate the role of EGO and over-inflated self-importance with Kelly. He wants to be THE BEST.
- Control. If he comes to UConn, he has complete control of the program and all that is associated with it. He can build it as he pleases (I think Edsall underestimated and underappreciated that control he had at UConn). He will call all the shots and not have to answer to anyone. At a Texas/Florida/USC, he will always have the "important donors" and boosters who will be all over him and exert control/power in the program. He will not have that at UCONN.
- Potential. We all know the potential of UConn. If he had success and brought some MOJO to the program, there is a lot of upside. Get UConn in to the B1G and have some success. The Northeast has become a college football vacuum. Rutgers/BC/Syracuse/Penn St all suck. Get UConn going, and they could own the NYC and Boston/New England media landscape. If you are the "it program" and are attractive to kids with the Kelly "aura" along with NFL experience, there is unlimited potential for recruiting. If you get to a place where you "own" NJ/NY and New England recruiting, there is more than enough players to build a championship caliber program (never mind that Kelly would have huge National appeal to recruits given his success, offense. and NFL experience). If one program "owned" the Northeast, it could become a national powerhouse.

Again, I do not believe that it will ever happen. But those are some reasons that would be in the "Pro's" column of a Pros/Cons list if he was looking at a UConn. If he wants a real challenge, job security, the potential to be a true coaching legend, and is interested in coming back to New England--then UConn would be there for him with open arms.

You make a compelling point here. I espeically agree wiht your statement on "Potential"- I've always siad that with the right guy at the helm and if we could get a real QB here UConn could be built into the Oregon of the East- great facilities, strong fan base, great academics, and kind of on an 'island' in terms of big time CFB with Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, BC all sucking. We dominate CT media becuase its the only game in town then get exposure in NYC where we build another stong foothold. Its not like the Syracuse or Rutgers as "NY's College Teams" and playing in NYC/Meadowlands has done a thing in building their programs up.

Reaction Score
That time David Benedict retweeted Randy Edsall the same day he shows up to Diaco's presser and sits down in the back row...

LOL.. Probably would be more interesting if he didn't retweet Buzz Williams too.

C

Chief00

I wanted TJ Weist when Diaco got hired - I have the illusion sometimes my input is considered on basketball - but NEVERFOOTBALL - not sure why?

Any time an organization doesn't reward a guy who produces results it's not a good thing, especially internal. BC not hiring Calhoun before he came to UConn wasn't an internal screwup but his success at Northeastern should have been recognized.

Warde's record other than his own placement to Michigan isn't looking so good. The big 3:
1) CR
2) The Big Hire
3) Revenue Stream
Looking like all failures on Big 3.
Give him some credit for hockey, BB NC's, being forced by Calhoun to hire KO.

Reaction Score
I have the illusion sometimes my input is considered on basketball - but NEVERFOOTBALL - not sure why?.

04.jpg

Reaction Score
As eye rolling as this thread may be it just hit an entirely new level of laughter inducing absurdity.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I wanted TJ Weist when Diaco got hired - I have the illusion sometimes my input is considered on basketball - but NEVERFOOTBALL - not sure why?

Any time an organization doesn't reward a guy who produces results it's not a good thing, especially internal. BC not hiring Calhoun before he came to UConn wasn't an internal screwup but his success at Northeastern should have been recognized.

Warde's record other than his own placement to Michigan isn't looking so good. The big 3:
1) CR
2) The Big Hire
3) Revenue Stream
Looking like all failures on Big 3.
Give him some credit for hockey, BB NC's, being forced by Calhoun to hire KO.

Chief, you are finally coming around. Yes, you have many illusions.

Reaction Score
The best way to fix UConn program is it throw big money at a big name and assistant coaches. That way we win ,get the hoopla, and get into big conference. From where the money is coming from I don't know or do I know which candidate is the best for the job.

Reaction Score
Bill Parcells
Tom Coughlin
Mike Ditka
Bud Grant
Tom Osbourne
Nick Saban
Don Shula
Bill Belichick
Mike Holmgren
Mike Bellotti
Barry Alvarez