Any new rumors on the ACC invite? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any new rumors on the ACC invite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Swofford keeps taking his machete to the BE Medusa, but everytime he chops off a head, two more come back to take its place.

That's why I think the conference should be renamed the Big Medusa!

I like that. And mythology references to the ACC are great, because it took years for the world to realize that the myth was false and that it was not a better basketball conference than the Big East.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whenever someone says "it's not all about the money," you can almost guaranty that it is.

So you think the Tar Heels would jump to the SEC? Never. In this case, if we were talking $80 million a year versus nothing, sure. But the money difference is minor.

Reaction Score
No, actually, I don't think the Tar Heels would leave the ACC for the SEC.

But I fully stand behind the statement you quoted.

Reaction Score
So you think the Tar Heels would jump to the SEC? Never. In this case, if we were talking $80 million a year versus nothing, sure. But the money difference is minor.

The Tar Heels probably wouldn't because of the optics of it. The NC St. Wolfpack would have to realize that it was a once in a lifetime chance to get out of UNC's shadow and would probably take it. UVA and VTech are harder to predict, I think both would be tempted to take the invite. UVA has not been very relevant in the ACC's recent history though so I think they'd be tempted to join a league with most of the other state flagship schools of the south.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The Tar Heels probably wouldn't because of the optics of it. The NC St. Wolfpack would have to realize that it was a once in a lifetime chance to get out of UNC's shadow and would probably take it. UVA and VTech are harder to predict, I think both would be tempted to take the invite. UVA has not been very relevant in the ACC's recent history though so I think they'd be tempted to join a league with most of the other state flagship schools of the south.

I agree VT would need to consider it. NC State should jump if given the chance, but will never win. While UVA is in a southern state, it would very likely not want to hitch it's wagon to that horse. It recruits students heavily in the northeast, as do Duke (9% from NY) and UNC. I don't see UVA splitting from Maryland. I think one of the reasons the ACC expanded to Boston, and now Syracuse and Pittsburgh was to remove some of the perception that it is a southern league and attract more students from the Northeast.

Reaction Score
They definitely would and fashion themselves more a football school than basketball school anyway. VTech would probably go as well, in spite of their recent denials of interest. The targets would be UNC and UVA, when they most likely decide to stay put, the SEC goes to the back up plan of VTech and NC St. I don't see why they would add any schools that are in states they are already in when the largest and wealthiest markets for them to add are in NC and VA.
Not even in the realm of possibility. Academics are at the fore front of both UVA and UNC. Tech worked too hard and pulled too many political favors to finally get into the ACC for them to move. I would agree that the Tech fans and game day environment are the closest to the SEC.

One cannot over emphasize the cultural issues as well as the admission standards at these schools never mind keeping them in school. UNC with Butch went to the SEC model and look what they got from that. In my opinion, the only way for this to occur would be for a BE type meltdown in the ACC which won't happen...of course that would be true of every conference.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
Shifting from a SEC raid on the ACC - how about the B1G courting Maryland and Virginia? I wouldn't call it an ACC meltdown but the ACC would certainly lose two of its finer academic institutions in the middle of any future geographic footprint.

While I'm throwing out scenarios, if 16-team conferences are the end game of major conference realignment, what about B1G shoring up East Coast presence with some combination of ND/VA/MD/Rutgers/UConn?

Reaction Score
The ACC's fear is Maryland and UVA to the Big Ten and FSU and Clemson or Va Tech to the SEC.

Reaction Score
I agree VT would need to consider it. NC State should jump if given the chance, but will never win. While UVA is in a southern state, it would very likely not want to hitch it's wagon to that horse. It recruits students heavily in the northeast, as do Duke (9% from NY) and UNC. I don't see UVA splitting from Maryland. I think one of the reasons the ACC expanded to Boston, and now Syracuse and Pittsburgh was to remove some of the perception that it is a southern league and attract more students from the Northeast.
You may have this backward. I think if you research both Syracuse and BC statements about their decisions you will find that they both saw an opportunity to attract more students from the Southeast. The popolation is growing there whereas in the Northeast it is stagnant and aging. Don't know about Pitt's angle on this since it is a state affiliated school.

Reaction Score
Please no ACC. Please. What we have brewing with the Mountain West is far superior.

Reaction Score
Please no ACC. Please. What we have brewing with the Mountain West is far superior.[/quote
What am I missing? Why is a hybrid conference with 4? types of membership spread over three time zones "far superior". Not saying it is awful but lets be real.

Reaction Score
Why is it not? Time zones don't matter because there will not be alot of travel. What are time zones good for? TV contracts all day long for football East to West. This is an attractive conference for TV. Great quality second tier teams. By that I mean they are not Alabama or LSU but they are not Indiana and Purdue either. We have great markets and solid programs. With this league these programs will improve their recruting too. I really like it alot. It's not too shabby for basketball either. Imaging the Big East tourney with National interest across the country.

Reaction Score
Why is it not? Time zones don't matter because there will not be alot of travel. What are time zones good for? TV contracts all day long for football East to West. This is an attractive conference for TV. Great quality second tier teams. By that I mean they are not Alabama or LSU but they are not Indiana and Purdue either. We have great markets and solid programs. With this league these programs will improve their recruting too. I really like it alot. It's not too shabby for basketball either. Imaging the Big East tourney with National interest across the country.

The Big East has a time zone advantage, games start at noon and end at midnight. Not a bad thing at all. People need to get over the distance aspect of the football conference. The plane rides are only marginally more expensive and adding western schools means we won't cannibalize our recruiting efforts.

Reaction Score
This would be a national conference that I think a lot of kids would like to play in. Interesting locations. It must be just me, but I am so sick of ACC games and destinations (except for Miami, of course). I'm starting to get to the point where I'm watching games to root for someone to lose. Everything about North Carolina and the American south in general bores me. I like Provo, and Boise, and Las Vegas and San Diego and Dallas. In the east we wouldn't be playing more than two or three cross over games per year. We'd then have a playoff. Do it at the home stadium of the team with the best record. Something different.

Reaction Score
This would be a national conference that I think a lot of kids would like to play in. Interesting locations. It must be just me, but I am so sick of ACC games and destinations (except for Miami, of course). I'm starting to get to the point where I'm watching games to root for someone to lose. Everything about North Carolina and the American south in general bores me. I like Provo, and Boise, and Las Vegas and San Diego and Dallas. In the east we wouldn't be playing more than two or three cross over games per year. We'd then have a playoff. Do it at the home stadium of the team with the best record. Something different.
Provo, San Diego,& Vegas would all rank high on anyones list. Dallas & Houston, not so much for me. Been there too often, Boise? not sure I ever want to go. But that seems beside the point as far as I am concerned. In each case except for BYU and maybe Boise we are partnering with a distant second or third at best. This is what makes me unsettled. Where you see lots of potential I see lots of questions. It may just be age, who knows?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You may have this backward. I think if you research both Syracuse and BC statements about their decisions you will find that they both saw an opportunity to attract more students from the Southeast. The popolation is growing there whereas in the Northeast it is stagnant and aging. Don't know about Pitt's angle on this since it is a state affiliated school.
I think that is the case as well, and BC said the same. But the northeast produces more high SAT students who are drawn to expensive private and public schools.

Reaction Score
I think that is the case as well, and BC said the same. But the northeast produces more high SAT students who are drawn to expensive private and public schools.
I certainly don't have the computer skills to do this but wouldn't it be interesting to see what the geographic spread is between private and public schools in the BE & ACC.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Provo, San Diego,& Vegas would all rank high on anyones list. Dallas & Houston, not so much for me. Been there too often, Boise? not sure I ever want to go. But that seems beside the point as far as I am concerned. In each case except for BYU and maybe Boise we are partnering with a distant second or third at best. This is what makes me unsettled. Where you see lots of potential I see lots of questions. It may just be age, who knows?

I agree with you. I see a disaster of a conferene. Time zones don't matter? To whom? I'm sure as hell not going to be happy about games starting at 9 or 10 PM. I also find the schools to be unexciting. Houston has a good squad right now, and probably won't next year. Boise is very good, but hasn't done it against good competition. SMU has some former glory. UCF has new scandals/violations.

As I said before, any public school with either a geographic indicator or a city in the name is automatically second tier. Louisville is 2nd tier to Kentucky. Cincy 2nd tier to OSU. Boise St. is second tier to Idaho, although not on the football field. USF and UCF are second tier to UF and FSU. Houston is third tier compared to UT or A&M, and second tier to schools like Baylor and TCU.

So this conference presents with two flagship state universities, UConn and Rutgers, plus a solid private university in SMU. We're stranded on the island of misfit toys.

Reaction Score
I think it's hilarious how people can scoff at Houston and say sure they have a good squad now but what about the future. What they are is bettter than any team in the current Big East. Same with Boise. For us to complain about these schools like somehow they don't belong with UConn is a freaking joke. We can only hope to get to number ten in the BCS any time soon. With an Auto bid and a nice TV contract they are not going to get worse

Reaction Score
As I said before, any public school with either a geographic indicator or a city in the name is automatically second tier. Louisville is 2nd tier to Kentucky. Cincy 2nd tier to OSU. Boise St. is second tier to Idaho, although not on the football field. USF and UCF are second tier to UF and FSU. Houston is third tier compared to UT or A&M, and second tier to schools like Baylor and TCU.

USC, UCLA, Cal Berkeley, Auburn (defending national champ) are second tier by your definition. Are tech schools second tier too? How about Michigan State, are they second tier to Michigan? NC State has to be second tier. What the heck is Texas A&M? Clemson?

Not to be rude but you are being narrow minded.

Reaction Score
USC, UCLA, Cal Berkeley, Auburn (defending national champ) are second tier by your definition. Are tech schools second tier too? How about Michigan State, are they second tier to Michigan? NC State has to be second tier. What the heck is Texas A&M? Clemson?

Not to be rude but you are being narrow minded.

Thank you. I think the benefits of the new conference are being overstated, and some of the issues minimized, but to reduce all of that to simplistic statements about the names of universities ....

Reaction Score
Houston is at best the fifth school athletically in the state of Texas. To boot it is a low-quality academic institution. In fact, it will be the WORST academic institution in all of AQ land. It is a commuter school. To think that long-term these attributes will not impact Houston's ceiling is idiotic.

UCF is the same as USF. USF is still a distant fourth in the state of Florida. As an aside, guess the attendance at USF's opening men's basketball game.

UCF will likely be hit with loss of institutional control. So for the next five years, watch UCF football sink lower. As for UCF basketball, see USF.

Is it more likely that the Big East brand is exported successfully to Houston, UCF and SMU, or will their mediocrity be merely imported into the Big East? DePaul is in the third largest city in the country, surrounded by fertile recruits. How has that worked out?

By the way, USF's announced attendance was 2,700 for their opener. There were fewer than 700 actually in attendance.

This hodge podge disparate group of schools is only a quick fix band aid.

Geographically it makes no sense. The institutions make no sense (Boise,Houston,UCF,USF academically putrid, urban commuter schools - oh joy.)

The Big East is one homely pig. The bright red lipstick smeared across its thin lips hasn't changed that.

Reaction Score
Houston is at best the fifth school athletically in the state of Texas. To boot it is a low-quality academic institution. In fact, it will be the WORST academic institution in all of AQ land. It is a commuter school. To think that long-term these attributes will not impact Houston's ceiling is idiotic.

UCF is the same as USF. USF is still a distant fourth in the state of Florida. As an aside, guess the attendance at USF's opening men's basketball game.

UCF will likely be hit with loss of institutional control. So for the next five years, watch UCF football sink lower. As for UCF basketball, see USF.

Is it more likely that the Big East brand is exported successfully to Houston, UCF and SMU, or will their mediocrity be merely imported into the Big East? DePaul is in the third largest city in the country, surrounded by fertile recruits. How has that worked out?

By the way, USF's announced attendance was 2,700 for their opener. There were fewer than 700 actually in attendance.

This hodge podge disparate group of schools is only a quick fix band aid.

Geographically it makes no sense. The institutions make no sense (Boise,Houston,UCF,USF academically putrid, urban commuter schools - oh joy.)

The Big East is one homely pig. The bright red lipstick smeared across its thin lips hasn't changed that.

The alternative to these schools at this point is what, exactly?

Reaction Score
I could use a pick-me-up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
No ACC news but the big BE news yesterday was John Marinatto walked into Balducci's and ordered a lo-cal vegetable salad w/ tofu sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom