Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I could use a pick-me-up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Nothing too promising out there for immediate consideration.

A couple of things, though. One is that the Vanderbilt trustee in charge of athletics recently told its Board of Trust that the SEC will expand again to 16 teams.
http://news.vanderbilt.edu/2011/11/bot-athletics-fall-2011/

Second, with Notre Dame playing its ACC portion of its schedule,

"To the disappointment of about 300 Wake Forest boosters Saturday, Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said the school is not involved in any discussions about joining a conference in football. Swarbrick joined Wake Forest AD Ron Wellman for a discussion about intercollegiate athletics Saturday morning at Bridger Field House, hours before the Irish and Demon Deacons played that night."

Q: With the changes at Comcast/NBC, will Notre Dame see a benefit?
Swarbrick: Our focus is on taking full advantage of the increased assets which NBC is now part of. For Notre Dame, the Comcast/NBC merger is a great thing. It significantly expands the distribution possibilities for programming. We hope it results in a lot more Notre Dame programming across a lot more distribution points. But our model will not be the Longhorn Network, but we would like to see more athletic contests, more features on athletes, more university programming.
Q: What is Notre Dame’s future in the Big East?

Swarbrick: I expect developments in the next week. We remain pretty optimistic about the Big East’s long-term prospects.

http://blog.pennlive.com/fanbox/2011/11/notre_dame_ad_answers_question.html

UConn needs movement from somewhere. The Big 12 is screwed up right now with Missouri/WVU and getting to 10 by next year. Since this whole realignment/expansion thing has so far been thoroughly unpredictable, look for the unpredictable to happen. Of course, if we could predict it, it wouldn't be unpredictable prediction!

Reaction Score
That Vandy article is news to me. Since WVU is seemingly off the board for the SEC they gotta poach from the ACC right? Let them take Clemson and FSU (even though they are in their footprint already).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I propose that the UConn trustees immediately approve a new name for the university. The University of Far Northern Georgia at Storrs. Plant some hedges at the Rent (renamed "The Love Shack"). We've already got a dog. Then play up our key in-state rivalry with UGA, and a new annual neutral site game with Florida at the Citrus Bowl around Christmas, since half of Connecticut (I mean the state of Far North Georgia) is in Orlando then anyway. Our SEC invite would be in the mail. Just fire up some B-52s tunes and wait.

Reaction Score
I predict that nothing will happen for UConn until the next round of re-alignment whenver that takes place. I think the SEC going to 16 and the Big 10 expanding beyond 12 will be the two key events to determine UConn's future. I honestly think that the SEC and Big 10 are going to do serious damage to the ACC when they do expand. The SEC's most logical additions would UNC and UVA to get to 16. Who know's if those schools would bite though, I think UVA probably would take the upgrage in order to better compete against VTech. UNC may pass but NC State would sign on to replace them in a heartbeat. Big 10 would probably be interested in any or all of Maryland, Syracuse, Rutgers, and UConn. Big 10 with Maryland, Cuse, and Rutgers would be the best possible eventual outcome for UConn IMO. Either way, I don't see the ACC making it through the next round unscathed.

Reaction Score
I think we need to embrace where we are if Big East expansion happens and act happy as can be about it. Winning, keeping the Big East viable and taking some pride in our conference will result in an invite elsewhere or a strong Big East conference that we can be proud of. I don't think UConn should talk about leaving the conference ever again until an invite is on the table. Same goes for our conference mates. Put blinders on and buy into the NBE, it can only help either way.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The Pitt and Cuse announcement came out of left field, so silence doesn't necessarily indicate anything. At this point, I think the ACC takes a little break while things sort themselves out. The other factor that's probably scaring them (and the reason they were so quiet about Cuse/Pitt) are all of the legal threats. It might be best to see what happens around the nation before making another move.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The SEC won't expand beyond fourteen until after the BCS bowl participation limit of two schools per conference is lifted but they will expand within minutes of this.

Reaction Score
The SEC's most logical additions would UNC and UVA to get to 16.
The idea of either UNC or UVA moving to the SEC requires a well developed sense of illogic, or sarcasm. That's simply not in the realm of reality anywhere near Chapel Hill or Charlottesville, but it is funny. Even NC State's a reach with their tentacles vapor locked on UNC's ...

Reaction Score
The idea of either UNC or UVA moving to the SEC requires a well developed sense of illogic, or sarcasm. That's simply not in the realm of reality anywhere near Chapel Hill or Charlottesville, but it is funny. Even NC State's a reach with their tentacles vapor locked on UNC's ...

It may be funny but I'm sure the SEC doesn't think so. Geographically I don't think there should be any doubt that those are the two states they will be targeting. Out of the 4 schools of UNC, NC St., UVA, and VTech they will get a VA school and an NC school in order to reach the entire Southeastern U.S. I don't even think they would be interested in going to 16 if they can't get a foothold into NC and VA. We all know that in these battles, the stronger conference will win. The SEC is a much stronger conference compared to the ACC and when it does try to raid the ACC, I don't see it leaving empty handed.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It may be funny but I'm sure the SEC doesn't think so. Geographically I don't think there should be any doubt that those are the two states they will be targeting. Out of the 4 schools of UNC, NC St., UVA, and VTech they will get a VA school and an NC school in order to reach the entire Southeastern U.S. I don't even think they would be interested in going to 16 if they can't get a foothold into NC and VA. We all know that in these battles, the stronger conference will win. The SEC is a much stronger conference compared to the ACC and when it does try to raid the ACC, I don't see it leaving empty handed.

Stronger how? Not in basketball, and that's what UNC cares about most. Not in academics, and that's what UVA cares about most (and UNC second most). Neither school would consider denigrating themselves with the SEC schools they look down their noses at. NC State, maybe. VT, possible, but doubtful. Clemson, GT and FSU are really the only other fits, and they are in existing SEC states. I'd even doubt that Clemson really wants to be only the second private school in the SEC.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
The SEC won't expand beyond fourteen until after the BCS bowl participation limit of two schools per conference is lifted but they will expand within minutes of this.

Jay Bilas on ESPN BB preview last night mentioned that he talked with a former SEC commissioner (forgot the name). Ex-commissioner was confident that major conferences, including SEC, would be going to 16 at some point in time. No time table given, but 16 teams per conference is the end game. Bilas went on to say that he (Bilas) thought that once the major conferences reach 16, they may look to split from the NCAA and come up with their own FB and BB championships.

Bilas went on to say that B1G would most likely be looking East for expansion and Maryland would be the likely target. I assume Rutgers would get a solid look also.

Prior to Bilas' comments, Digger Phelps said that ND's days as an independent are most certainly numbered and he sees an ACC North (w/ ND and UConn) and ACC South - scenario that has been previously discussed on this board.
Take it for what's it worth - but it is consistent with ESPN's wet dream.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I can't even imagine that UVA or UNC would even consider the SEC. First of all, when they get hammered in football in the ACC, why go for a 50 point blowout against LSU, Bama, or Florida. Second, particularly UNC wouldn't go anywhere without NC State and especially the Pukies. Hawk is right, the only ones that make sense are FSU, Clemson, and GT, and in that order... and probably Virginia Tech is a good bet. All other schools are primarily basketball schools. (Oops, sorry, BCU is about all sports, as long as they play them badly.)

Now if the B1G comes calling, UVA may well consider a relationship with Michigan, Wisconsin, and some of the great academic schools there...

It certainly is possible that, in a year or so, the ACC could be looking for as many as four schools in order to get back to 12.

Reaction Score
Stronger how? Not in basketball, and that's what UNC cares about most. Not in academics, and that's what UVA cares about most (and UNC second most). Neither school would consider denigrating themselves with the SEC schools they look down their noses at. NC State, maybe. VT, possible, but doubtful. Clemson, GT and FSU are really the only other fits, and they are in existing SEC states. I'd even doubt that Clemson really wants to be only the second private school in the SEC.
Clemson is a Public South Carolina University - Not a Private.

Reaction Score
Clemson is a public school, not a private one. It was a land grant agricultural school in its inception just like UCONN and VaTech. By the way, I think NC State would go in a New York minute if asked by the SEC. They would love to get out of the shadow of their more presitigous brother...

Reaction Score
I'm holding out hope until I see some announcements of the new restructured TV contracts.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Clemson is a Public South Carolina University - Not a Private.
I stand corrected. You'd think I'd know this, since that's where I wanted to go to college when I was in high school.

Reaction Score
Clemson is a public school, not a private one. It was a land grant agricultural school in its inception just like UCONN and VaTech. By the way, I think NC State would go in a New York minute if asked by the SEC. They would love to get out of the shadow of their more presitigous brother...

Are you sure that UConn was a land grant school at its inception? I'd heard that the original land grant designation was given to Yale, & only later wasit changed to UConn.

Reaction Score

Stronger as in makes more money for itself and its members.

Reaction Score

They definitely would and fashion themselves more a football school than basketball school anyway. VTech would probably go as well, in spite of their recent denials of interest. The targets would be UNC and UVA, when they most likely decide to stay put, the SEC goes to the back up plan of VTech and NC St. I don't see why they would add any schools that are in states they are already in when the largest and wealthiest markets for them to add are in NC and VA.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Stronger as in makes more money for itself and its members.

I would suggest that that definition of stronger has never been absolutely determinative and that in the wake of Penn State, is probably diminishing as a consideration. The ACC is the stronger basketball league and academic league. It offers stronger regional associations for any team in NC or VA. It has better TV markets, especially where several of these schools recruit students. Money is just one of many factors to consider.

Reaction Score
I would suggest that that definition of stronger has never been absolutely determinative and that in the wake of Penn State, is probably diminishing as a consideration. The ACC is the stronger basketball league and academic league. It offers stronger regional associations for any team in NC or VA. It has better TV markets, especially where several of these schools recruit students. Money is just one of many factors to consider.

Whenever someone says "it's not all about the money," you can almost guaranty that it is.

Reaction Score
Are you sure that UConn was a land grant school at its inception? I'd heard that the original land grant designation was given to Yale, & only later wasit changed to UConn.

It depends. Yale used to have it, but that was before UConn even existed as Storrs Agricultural School. SAS was founded as a land-grant school and of course, it eventually became what we know as today as UConn.

Reaction Score
Swofford keeps taking his machete to the BE Medusa, but everytime he chops off a head, two more come back to take its place.

That's why I think the conference should be renamed the Big Medusa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom