Anthony: Why UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley is so volatile: ‘Level of shame that comes with losing” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anthony: Why UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley is so volatile: ‘Level of shame that comes with losing”

Reaction Score
No doubt. I just think the portrayal of Hurley in that post was a little over the top.

We can agree to disagree on this one. I think you're just thinking more of "dictionary definition" of unhinged than I am. Whether or not Hurley was going to actually throw hands with fans (yes, on multiple occasions) is beside the point. He's posturing like a high schooler who wants to fight in the bathroom during lunch. It's pathetic.

Have you sat near him on game day? The guy has no control of himself at times. A lot of coaches can be unhinged but still not lose control of the game, even if their emotions are running well above what is appropriate--Calhoun being one of them. Hurley needs to learn to do that or we're going to continue to have an abysmal record in close games.

Reaction Score
Why do we compare Hurley to coaches with insanely long tenures?

Do we think JC, Bobby Knight, Coach K, etc. worked the refs with the same success in years 1-5 as in years 15-20? Do we think they learned nothing along the way? Better yet, do we think Hurley can't grow as a coach? He's still earning his pinstripes so to speak.

I'm just over the moon that THIS is the complaints we're having about the coach. I remember a not too distant past when we were making excuses for giving up when down 20 points.

Hurley isn't in year 1-5. He's almost 50. He's been a head coach for 12 years.

Reaction Score
This is an emotional take and not a rational one. Where's the evidence that "his emotions are getting in the way of winning"?
Have you not seen the team implode time and time again when the game gets close near the end and he looks like his head is about to explode? It's like he's not even coaching, he's just an anxious mess.

Reaction Score
Have you not seen the team implode time and time again when the game gets close near the end and he looks like his head is about to explode? It's like he's not even coaching, he's just an anxious mess.
Yeah, this continues to be supposition, assumption, and inference, not evidence.

Reaction Score
This is an emotional take and not a rational one. Where's the evidence that "his emotions are getting in the way of winning"?

I don't think there's really any way to prove this one way or the other. What IS proven is that we have a terrible record in close games. What are we, 2-8 in games decides by 1 possession or less?

That's over multiple seasons--THAT is on the coaching staff, whatever the reason. Emotions, recruiting, whatever... we've gotta fix it.

Reaction Score
I didn't see early years Calhoun (pre 2002), but what I saw was a guy that was really intense, focused, and not afraid to use a T to get a point across. His press conference demeanor could be a bit less controlled.

As mentioned above, DH seems to at times act like a player. He's been taking over teams with loosing records, so he's used intensity/motivation/bravado as way to get a quick response....and his record shows that it has worked. BUT...at some point, that isn't enough...you need to out coach the other guys, not just out intensity them. Hopefully DH adds this to his toolbox soon, as I fear the intensity card has a limited lifespan and limited upside.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
So all you peace and love hippies wouldn't have lost your mind after that atrocious call against Martin? I hear what you're saying about timing and what not, but that was another in a string of terrible calls. Hell, I'm losing my mind reading this thread. If the wife was home she would have T'd me up.
Danny will evolve. No coach is born perfect. I have no worries about him at this point.

Reaction Score
Hurley isn't in year 1-5. He's almost 50. He's been a head coach for 12 years.
I hear ya...Calhoun coached before UConn too...
The only point I'm making is the refs are learning Hurley and vice versa. Only year 2 in the Big East. It'll take growing pains. But outside of the one critical T against Nova, I agree with Hurley...his antics are being overblown in terms of affecting game outcomes.

Reaction Score
I hear ya...Calhoun coached before UConn too...
The only point I'm making is the refs are learning Hurley and vice versa. Only year 2 in the Big East. It'll take growing pains. But outside of the one critical T against Nova, I agree with Hurley...his antics are being overblown in terms of affecting game outcomes.

The T against Nova was bad--glad he owned that.

I don't care about the antics when it comes down to it IF he wins games. He needs to figure out how to win close games and he doesn't seem to be owning that it is on HIM to solve that problem. Hopefully in private he and the staff are doing some reflection on how to improve that together.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree on this one. I think you're just thinking more of "dictionary definition" of unhinged than I am. Whether or not Hurley was going to actually throw hands with fans (yes, on multiple occasions) is beside the point. He's posturing like a high schooler who wants to fight in the bathroom during lunch. It's pathetic.

Have you sat near him on game day? The guy has no control of himself at times. A lot of coaches can be unhinged but still not lose control of the game, even if their emotions are running well above what is appropriate--Calhoun being one of them. Hurley needs to learn to do that or we're going to continue to have an abysmal record in close games.
Yeah, I guess you and I will not see eye to eye on this one. I think whether or not he was going to ‘throw hands’ is relevant. If he was, he would be out of control in my view. Exchanging words with them? [shrugs]

We can agree that he would be better off turning a blind eye to some idiots shouting crap about him from the cheap seats. I’m sure he’s figured that out from the coverage of this exchange.

We can agree as well, about the need to keep his emotions in check during a game. That pouty face thing he does when he feels the team is being victimized by calls isn’t a good look at all.

I haven’t sat behind the bench, but from what I can see, Hurley doesn’t look panicked. If the evidence for that is we’ve lost more close games than we’ve won this season I’d suggest that there’s an alternative way to view close losses. The teams defense is good enough this year to keep us in a lot of games, most in fact. So is it that Hurley panicked and we lost a close game, or is it that the teams defense is good enough to keep us in contact? If Hurley calls a play and the team gets a good look, is it on Hurley if the player misses the shot? It could be, I guess. I’m just not convinced of it yet.

In any event, you are right I’m reacting to the hyperbole in your post, which is something we all do to make a point. I felt like it was unfair to Hurley. But, yeah, we can agree to disagree.

Reaction Score
He’s got his players backs. Probably more off the court than on. Type of coach I would have loved to play for.

Reaction Score
I haven’t sat behind the bench, but from what I can see, Hurley doesn’t look panicked. If the evidence for that is we’ve lost more close games than we’ve won this season I’d suggest that there’s an alternative way to view close losses. The teams defense is good enough this year to keep us in a lot of games, most in fact. So is it that Hurley panicked and we lost a close game, or is it that the teams defense is good enough to keep us in contact? If Hurley calls a play and the team gets a good look, is it on Hurley if the player misses the shot? It could be, I guess. I’m just not convinced of it yet.

In any event, you are right I’m reacting to the hyperbole in your post, which is something we all do to make a point. I felt like it was unfair to Hurley. But, yeah, we can agree to disagree.

I don't know whether or not his antics lead to all the close losses. I haven't ever said that. I don't really care what he does as long as we win games.

Our offense is actually higher rated than our defense, so that's kind of an irrelevant point.

Coaching is much more complicated than "go get a good look" after a time out. For one, we don't always get good looks. I don't know how we rank, but it doesn't look good. But even if we DO, we're still missing the shots and losing. Our players aren't prepared to make those shots, maybe the wrong guys are taking those shots, we're certainly not composed in crunch time... again, much more complicated than "get an open shot." A high school JV coach could draw up a play to post up Sanogo late in a game. That's the easy part. Who, where, when and how are the details that coach is getting paid millions to do a better job with than any other coach could.

There's also the kind of players you recruit years before those games even happen. Have we recruited closers? Why are there such tremendous skill gaps on our roster? We're missing a ballhandler, have one too few shooters, etc.

What have we done to prepare in practice all off-season? Do we do 90-second drills with refs? Are we practicing our endgame plays? It certainly doesn't seem like our guys are prepared, but maybe we have. Only the coaching staff really knows the answer to that.

Does our staff prepare defensive adjustments in advance? Do we even MAKE defensive adjustments? Why do they take so long to make (see: Kadary getting 17 points before we started doubling, and another 10 more before we doubled from the high side).

What adjustments to the adjustments are we making?

What are we doing to prepare players to perform well under intense pressure instead of clamming up?

Anyone giving you an easy answer is delusional. Any 1 or 2 of these things could make the difference, or maybe something else entirely. It isn't just a simple answer of "get an open shot" there are 100s of factors that go into prepping to win close games.

The only objective fact here is we are 2-8 in close games. And that is abysmal. Staff needs to be better--period.

Reaction Score
Always has had anxiety issues. That is him, not going to change at almost 50 years old

Reaction Score
The T against Nova was bad--glad he owned that.

I don't care about the antics when it comes down to it IF he wins games. He needs to figure out how to win close games and he doesn't seem to be owning that it is on HIM to solve that problem. Hopefully in private he and the staff are doing some reflection on how to improve that together.
Is there anyone on this staff with enough gravitas to question Hurley? Moore is the senior guy, but not sure he has that demeanor

Reaction Score
Is there anyone on this staff with enough gravitas to question Hurley? Moore is the senior guy, but not sure he has that demeanor

I have no idea. I would agree though that that isn't really Tom's personality. The best coaches are guys who don't just say "I want you to tell me when I'm screwing up," they LISTEN to it and they don't take it personally. I know some guys are all about "I listen to the assistants!" But really the assistants are too scared to keep it 100

I don't know if it's a problem with Hurley or not.

I can say that Calhoun was GREAT about that. I've talked to a former player and a former assistant who have both said that. He was a major , but if a coach or player told him something, he listened to it and objectively decided if he was right. He didn't let his ego get in the way of winning. That's why you see so much change in his coaching over the years. Using his big men differently, getting away from the 221 press, all that.

Reaction Score
Passion, intensity: Good

Volatility: Bad

Many of the same people who complain when Calhoun comparisons are made will nonetheless point to Calhoun's temper, which--to me--was different, and usually employed intentionally.

Many will also say it's better than Ollie, but I saw a lot of fire in Ollie those first two to three seasons.

Whatever it is with Hurley, I don't love it because I don't think he is able to do his job when he is so overcome that he becomes unhinged, and he frequently looks like he's going to snap. But the bottom line is that I don't have to love it. The players do, and he needs to win.
Calhoun started out passionate and sometimes it got the best of him. Many times in fact in the early days. But he learned to use it as a tools as I expect Hurley will as well. Hurley is young. He’s learning as well.

Reaction Score
Is this a we hate Dan Hurley thread? You think he’s the only coach to blow a gasket? See Jim Boeheim. See Jim Calhoun. Bob Huggins. Mick Cronin. DH does not berate his players in public. JC and Doug Wiggins. JC and Hilton Armstrong. Once heard during a game call Kirk King “a dumb ” at the top of his lungs. Coaching is not easy

Reaction Score
The cheerleading aspects I've learned to accept. What I'd like to see and am still waiting for is using his emotions on players underperforming, not following directions or making careless mistakes.

What I'm saying is I'd like to see him challenge/discipline players with the same passion he uses when they make plays he likes.

Too often I see the head in hands reaction as opposed to reaming his players a new one when they mess up. Carrot and Stick approach. Perhaps in practice he does this and just uses carrots during games.

Reaction Score
Always has had anxiety issues. That is him, not going to change at almost 50 years old
I definitely think it's possible for him to change. But he'd have to want to.

I like the guy and I think he can achieve great things here but he needs to figure out a way to stay calmer when the heat gets turned up.

Reaction Score
Too often I see the head in hands reaction as opposed to reaming his players a new one when they mess up. Carrot and Stick approach. Perhaps in practice he does this and just uses carrots during games.
He has said this a lot of times. He's not going to yell at players during games. Just during practice. Once they throw the ball up he is 100% behind his guys. I don't personally think that's one of the main issues.

Reaction Score
The best coaches are guys who don't just say "I want you to tell me when I'm screwing up," they LISTEN to it and they don't take it personally. I know some guys are all about "I listen to the assistants!" But really the assistants are too scared to keep it 100
It's not just coaches....those are the best executives too! And spouses!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom