Anriel Howard to Miss St | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Anriel Howard to Miss St

Reaction Score
And had originally committed to Baylor before decommitting. Thats a lot of schools!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree. Vic has recruited well and coached well and has taken from a"near" obscure team into the big time, ala Geno circa 1990's Uconn. I should cheer him, however, I fear the potential of that team.
I have thought for a few years that Vic was the new Geno-Yet-I wouldn't bet the farm on my thoughts.

He’s shown incredible coaching prowess but hasn’t been able to recruit at a high level compared to most other top 10 programs. Geno’s always recruited at an extremely high level, his first title team had two HS POYs on the roster and he’s never had a roster without a HS POY since. Remarkably, Vic didn’t have a McDonald’s AA (let alone a former HS POY) on either of his runner up teams. If he can land a couple of top 10 kids Mississippi State could be a powerhouse for years to come.

Reaction Score
He’s shown incredible coaching prowess but hasn’t been able to recruit at a high level compared to most other top 10 programs. Geno’s always recruited at an extremely high level, his first title team had two HS POYs on the roster and he’s never had a roster without a HS POY since. Remarkably, Vic didn’t have a McDonald’s AA (let alone a former HS POY) on either of his runner up teams. If he can land a couple of top 10 kids Mississippi State could be a powerhouse for years to come.
To my view "recruirting well" , and Geno has done this: you select players that play within your sheme and out play the opponents. It also includes getting really good transfers that compliment other players. That sounds like Vic.

Reaction Score
Vic is having more success this season as far as recruiting (Maori Davenport, Rickea Jackson, Aijha Blackwell, etc.) Making the championship game this year with only 2 WNBA draftees in his lineup was impressive

bballnut90

Reaction Score
To my view "recruirting well" , and Geno has done this: you select players that play within your sheme and out play the opponents. It also includes getting really good transfers that compliment other players. That sounds like Vic.

True--but it's usually the great players that win you titles. Summitt won 7 of her 8 titles with Parker, Holdsclaw, and Gordon. Geno's won 9 of his 11 with DT, Moore and Stewart. Being able to identify players who will respond to your style and play within your system is crucial, but history has shown that to get over the hump and win multiple titles you need a transcendent player (or two) to make it happen.

Reaction Score
True--but it's usually the great players that win you titles. Summitt won 7 of her 8 titles with Parker, Holdsclaw, and Gordon. Geno's won 9 of his 11 with DT, Moore and Stewart. Being able to identify players who will respond to your style and play within your system is crucial, but history has shown that to get over the hump and win multiple titles you need a transcendent player (or two) to make it happen.
Your last phrase is very true. Geno said often great players make good coaches look great and many of his NC/FF were with top rated players. No disagreement here.
I was just defining MY definition of being a good recruiter which doesn't always mean getting the top choice (but with them the are even better). Steff wasn't a top rated player yet without her one or more FF's NC's may not have happened. With a Steff these past 2 years the probability of winning both increased exponentially IMO

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Your last phrase is very true. Geno said often great players make good coaches look great and many of his NC/FF were with top rated players. No disagreement here.
I was just defining MY definition of being a good recruiter which doesn't always mean getting the top choice (but with them the are even better). Steff wasn't a top rated player yet without her one or more FF's NC's may not have happened. With a Steff these past 2 years the probability of winning both increased exponentially IMO

Understanding what you’re saying, and I agree with that. A massive part of recruiting is handpicking players who fill in the puzzle pieces on your roster rather than just throwing out scholarship offers to everyone ranked in the top 10-20. Vic has done quite well with this the past couple of years. So has Muffet. Geno always excels in this area.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom