Anriel Howard to Miss St | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anriel Howard to Miss St

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
She’s made it clear she wants to play where she can have the best chance to improve her draft stock and have a prominent role. Maybe she wanted to stay in the south too. Not sure there are any other schools in the area that have a need for a player like her along with great coaching. I don’t see why is it considered an insult to transfer to another team in the same conference, or why there are specific rules to deter athletes from doing so. Any player should be able to transfer to any program IMO.

Since I posted, I remembered Doug Bruno's remark about Jasmine Lister -- that he always discourages lateral moves. But that since she was going to UConn (and his good friend Geno), he didn't consider it a lateral move, and gladly released her from her contract. Gary Blair also isn't like other coaches, and he may have given Anriel his blessing to go play for his good friend Vic.

I believe Howard also said she wanted to go to a school with a good graduate program in media communications.

Reaction Score
I'm excited to see what she can do with McCowan. Make no mistake, the post can get crowded and one thing I liked about the MSU offense last year was McCowan took up the middle yet Vivians had good size for a guard and their shooters could space the floor. Hopefully Holmes, Danberry and the much anticipated Mya Taylor will be able to hit outside and create opportunities for Howard and McCowan.

As far as our crowded post, Promise will sit out a year and the two freshmen will probably need some time to develop. Even some of the best inside players need a year to grow up.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I also think it will be interesting to see how McCowan and Howard work things out. One thing is that Howard has an uncanny ability to grab rebounds far from the hoop. I have no doubt that her numbers will be down, but I suspect she'll still be close to double-digits. Another thing is that she runs the floor, so will be in position to rebound or score before McCowan.

I love Jazz Holmes. I think she could has a shot at working her way into a first-round draft pick this season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The student has far surpassed the master.

Agreed. Ol' Vic snatched the pebbles out of "master's" hand a long time ago. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I also think it will be interesting to see how McCowan and Howard work things out. One thing is that Howard has an uncanny ability to grab rebounds far from the hoop. I have no doubt that her numbers will be down, but I suspect she'll still be close to double-digits. Another thing is that she runs the floor, so will be in position to rebound or score before McCowan.

I love Jazz Holmes. I think she could has a shot at working her way into a first-round draft pick this season.

I think Holmes is one of the most underrated guards in the country, but I don't see her as a first round draft pick or WNBA player. Needs to work on her shot, but I think she's the type of PG that can help guide Mississippi State back to a Final Four since she'll get the ball to the right players and plays fantastic defense.

The comment about Howard getting long rebounds is true, and that's what really makes her and McCowan an intriguing tandem since McCowan gets every board that's within 5 feet of the basket. If you have McCowan cleaning up everything inside and Howard grabbing every long rebound....their rebounding abilities should compliment each other well. Both are also terrific offensive rebounders, so Mississippi State will get a lot of looks at the basket...they just need perimeter players who can score. Both of their numbers will go down a bit on the rebounding side of things. I expect Howard to be more efficient at Mississippi State and I'm guessing she's spent most of the offseason working on perimeter skills. Mississippi State is going to be a handful this year.

The only potential downside to this for Mississippi State is that 2019-20 is going to be another year where they lose a lot to graduation. I know they have AEH and Taylor coming, but they'll lose McCowan, Holmes and Howard who are likely their 3 best players this upcoming season. It's another deep draft for talent, so Notre Dame/UCONN/Louisville are all getting hit hard too, but thought it's worth mentioning.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, Chennedy Carter is the issue.

Mine too...she has bad tendencies to play 1 on 5 rather than getting teammates involved in tight moments. Pretty noteworthy when your #2 and 3 players both decide to leave for their senior year with a strong team coming back.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Interesting thought about Carter. I think VV may have suffered a bit from that as a FR/SO but matured as a JR/SR who trusted her teammates and realized that she did not have to make every big shot or play. As a result it made State a much better team the last two years. As a SR, her efficiency was so much better. Hopefully, Carter will realize that as well.
For us Howard is a great addition and I think we can make some noise again this year despite losing 4 starters. A big key is Holmes improving her shot. She does not have to score a lot but needs to shoot a good % from behind the arc so that teams can’t sag off of her. Otherwise, I think we have some good pieces in place though it will take some time for these players to gel. Our defense will be the key in the early part of the season and I think the offense will improve through the season the more games that they get to play together.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Interesting thought about Carter. I think VV may have suffered a bit from that as a FR/SO but matured as a JR/SR who trusted her teammates and realized that she did not have to make every big shot or play. As a result it made State a much better team the last two years. As a SR, her efficiency was so much better. Hopefully, Carter will realize that as well.
For us Howard is a great addition and I think we can make some noise again this year despite losing 4 starters. A big key is Holmes improving her shot. She does not have to score a lot but needs to shoot a good % from behind the arc so that teams can’t sag off of her. Otherwise, I think we have some good pieces in place though it will take some time for these players to gel. Our defense will be the key in the early part of the season and I think the offense will improve through the season the more games that they get to play together.

VV's shot selection improved so much her senior year and she had a lot more help than in previous years. McCowan's emergence took a lot of pressure off Vivians, plus Johnson/Schaefer were good 3pt threats which allowed better spacing that Mississippi State didn't have in 2016-17. In previous years they needed her to step up and take a lot of shots since there weren't other reliable scorers on the team.

At Texas A&M, that wasn't the case...A&M didn't need Carter taking 20-30 shots in big games when she had Williams, Howard and Hillsman who were all big scorers the year prior. Hopefully Carter improves, but I wouldn't be shocked if she takes even more shots next year without any proven threats like she had in 2018.

Reaction Score

Holmes and Danberry only made 2 combined threes last year, Bibby made 15 and Tate made 4. Wiggins was known as a shooter in high school but the collegiate level is different. Who do you think will step up and be the go to scorer from the perimeter?

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Holmes and Danberry only made 2 combined threes last year, Bibby made 15 and Tate made 4. Wiggins was known as a shooter in high school but the collegiate level is different. Who do you think will step up and be the go to scorer from the perimeter?

I would like to think that Danberry and Holmes will have both improved their shooting from off season practice and the fact is this year , we will need them to step up their scoring but at a good % from the field.
I am not familiar with any of our younger players but hopefully Schaefer has recruited well enough that we have a shooter or two in the mix.
Bibby seems capable of being a solid offensive threat this year now that she has a season under belt. Hopefully, McCowan and Howard can play strong around the basket and create some openings for these other players to take advantage of.
We will see.

Reaction Score
I think Holmes is one of the most underrated guards in the country, but I don't see her as a first round draft pick or WNBA player. Needs to work on her shot, but I think she's the type of PG that can help guide Mississippi State back to a Final Four since she'll get the ball to the right players and plays fantastic defense.

The comment about Howard getting long rebounds is true, and that's what really makes her and McCowan an intriguing tandem since McCowan gets every board that's within 5 feet of the basket. If you have McCowan cleaning up everything inside and Howard grabbing every long rebound....their rebounding abilities should compliment each other well. Both are also terrific offensive rebounders, so Mississippi State will get a lot of looks at the basket...they just need perimeter players who can score. Both of their numbers will go down a bit on the rebounding side of things. I expect Howard to be more efficient at Mississippi State and I'm guessing she's spent most of the offseason working on perimeter skills. Mississippi State is going to be a handful this year.

The only potential downside to this for Mississippi State is that 2019-20 is going to be another year where they lose a lot to graduation. I know they have AEH and Taylor coming, but they'll lose McCowan, Holmes and Howard who are likely their 3 best players this upcoming season. It's another deep draft for talent, so Notre Dame/UCONN/Louisville are all getting hit hard too, but thought it's worth mentioning.

I didn't even think about how much all the top teams will lose after this upcoming season. TX & BU both lose valuable post, but had great recruiting classes for 18.

Reaction Score
How's everybody doing?? Hope yall had a good Summer....me...i'm pretty good. I'm ready to watch some college basketball I tell ya. I think Myah Taylor and the true freshman from Va Beach Xaria Wiggins will knock down a lot of crucial three's for MSU this season. I love everything about Xaria...she's a winner and her attitude is amazing. The 5 star big Jessika Carter has looked really good in Italy as well...MSU has a very bright future indeed.

Reaction Score
Yep Jessika Carter (6’5”) had 18 and 14 today. She plays the 4 so her and McCowan could be a problem. Anriel played really well too despite no practices. They will have a couple 3pt threats too.

Reaction Score
How's everybody doing?? Hope yall had a good Summer....me...i'm pretty good. I'm ready to watch some college basketball I tell ya. I think Myah Taylor and the true freshman from Va Beach Xaria Wiggins will knock down a lot of crucial three's for MSU this season. I love everything about Xaria...she's a winner and her attitude is amazing. The 5 star big Jessika Carter has looked really good in Italy as well...MSU has a very bright future indeed.

I caught a game or two of the Italy tour. McCowan still remains impressive to say the least and Bibby seems to have made a lot of improvements from last season. Getting Howard was huge, she will get a lot of second chance opportunities for you all. I still think teams will zone you all this year. McCowan is just too big to defend one on one and I’m not sold on any of the guards being perimeter threats. Outside of Bibby (who’s a post) no one shot the ball well from bta. Just some things I seen. You guys will still be very tough but Vic will have to iron out the wrinkles.

Reaction Score
They sure will have some height to pair with McCowan next year and for 3yrs after that!

Attachments

• 4B115B96-F44B-4720-9868-50BB3B3111CD.jpeg
    4B115B96-F44B-4720-9868-50BB3B3111CD.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 43

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I caught a game or two of the Italy tour. McCowan still remains impressive to say the least and Bibby seems to have made a lot of improvements from last season. Getting Howard was huge, she will get a lot of second chance opportunities for you all. I still think teams will zone you all this year. McCowan is just too big to defend one on one and I’m not sold on any of the guards being perimeter threats. Outside of Bibby (who’s a post) no one shot the ball well from bta. Just some things I seen. You guys will still be very tough but Vic will have to iron out the wrinkles.

Agree. Lots of similarities to 2017-18 SC centered around a star post player. McCowan is not the offensive threat A'ja was, but I think Howard brings a more unique game than Jennings. Vic has his work cut out for him. If they can find a consistent shooter (or two) from deep, they could be back in the Final Four. They take care of the ball, play very tough D and will rebound everything...just need to make a few shots and they'll win most games. Lots of new faces for them, but I think they'll be the best in the SEC once again.

Reaction Score
Agree. Lots of similarities to 2017-18 SC centered around a star post player. McCowan is not the offensive threat A'ja was, but I think Howard brings a more unique game than Jennings. Vic has his work cut out for him. If they can find a consistent shooter (or two) from deep, they could be back in the Final Four. They take care of the ball, play very tough D and will rebound everything...just need to make a few shots and they'll win most games. Lots of new faces for them, but I think they'll be the best in the SEC once again.

Yeah their going to be tough for any team with all that height. I like the speed SC will have and I want if to see McCowan and he other bigs constantly run the floor. Bibby seems like she could but McCowan still drags past half court. If we hit our shots and a good clip there won’t be many defensive rebounds. Offensive rebounds for McCowan is a different story. I’m interested to see who plays the three when Howard and Bibby are in the game with McCowan. Seems that will be the starting 5 along with Danberry and Holmes. Not bad but still many holes.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yeah their going to be tough for any team with all that height. I like the speed SC will have and I want if to see McCowan and he other bigs constantly run the floor. Bibby seems like she could but McCowan still drags past half court. If we hit our shots and a good clip there won’t be many defensive rebounds. Offensive rebounds for McCowan is a different story. I’m interested to see who plays the three when Howard and Bibby are in the game with McCowan. Seems that will be the starting 5 along with Danberry and Holmes. Not bad but still many holes.

Howard will be the player running the floor of Mississippi State gets outlets. McCowan is no speed demon but she doesn’t drag past half court...she works her butt off is very well conditionedz. She’s never slow down the court defensively. SC has good potential with their guards, but none of Cooper/Harris/Cuevas-Moore/Jackson/Cliney shoot a high percentage, so they’ll need to make big strides in the offseason for SC to be a perimeter oriented team that doesn’t miss too often.

Reaction Score
Howard will be the player running the floor of Mississippi State gets outlets. McCowan is no speed demon but she doesn’t drag past half court...she works her butt off is very well conditionedz. She’s never slow down the court defensively. SC has good potential with their guards, but none of Cooper/Harris/Cuevas-Moore/Jackson/Cliney shoot a high percentage, so they’ll need to make big strides in the offseason for SC to be a perimeter oriented team that doesn’t miss too often.

If we’re talking about true percentages then I’m not worried. SC has enough attacking guards and will have a lot more space this year to get to the rim. I expect the paint percentage as team to dip because of the presence lost by Wilson, but not as much.

Three point percentage is more of a question for this team. Overall I think we have a good mix of shooters and slashers.

Jackson shot 39% from 3 as a freshman, Nelly Perry career 3pt % is 40.3% and Cuevas -Moore shot 37% her junior year during the championship run. I think Cooper will be better than she was at UT, Cliney won’t be called upon to shoot many threes this year, and Harris has more of a rid range game. Henderson shot better than 40 % in high school and showed in the McDAA game that she has a consistent three point stroke. Not many here know about her but Elysa Wesolek is a very good 3pt shooter and will get plenty of time on the wing to space the floor.

I’m not expecting them to be Oregon Statesqe from the arc but they will be much more respectable in that aspect versus last year when teams just sagged off most of our guards.

Reaction Score
Last year they really had no depth at the center postion. Their backup center quit right after the season started which left the position to Zion Campbell. She was a decent role player, but they needed more than a role player to relieve McCowan against Notre Dame, Louisville, etc. This year, they have two freshmen who are already ahead
of Zion. I wouldn’t be surprised to see McCowan get more breathers this year with there being less of a gap between she and the backups. I also would be surprised if she isn’t better conditioned. I don’t expect to see her dragging past half court much anymore

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I can't seem to find the transfer thread & not sure if anyone mentioned this: Sierra Calhoun land at Rutgers
" On Tuesday, that escalated further when Rutgers announced that Ohio State redshirt senior guard Sierra Calhoun — the only remaining starter from last season — would be heading east to wear a new kind of scarlet as a graduate transfer.'

Women’s Basketball: Sierra Calhoun transfer leaves Ohio State without returning starter

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I can't seem to find the transfer thread & not sure if anyone mentioned this: Sierra Calhoun land at Rutgers
" On Tuesday, that escalated further when Rutgers announced that Ohio State redshirt senior guard Sierra Calhoun — the only remaining starter from last season — would be heading east to wear a new kind of scarlet as a graduate transfer.'

Women’s Basketball: Sierra Calhoun transfer leaves Ohio State without returning starter

Ohio State is down their top 6 scorers and returns a grand total of 6ppg. Roster is almost exclusively made up of grad transfers, freshmen and some bottom of the bench role players from the last few years. McGuff has his work cut out for him.

Reaction Score
Couldn't happen to a better man. Congrats Vic.
I agree. Vic has recruited well and coached well and has taken from a"near" obscure team into the big time, ala Geno circa 1990's Uconn. I should cheer him, however, I fear the potential of that team.
I have thought for a few years that Vic was the new Geno-Yet-I wouldn't bet the farm on my thoughts.

Reaction Score

I couldn't find it either. I just saw that McKenzie Calvert is on the Morehead State roster. Previously at Texas Tech, before that at Kansas, and before that USC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom