Another way too early Top 25 from ESPN | The Boneyard

Another way too early Top 25 from ESPN

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think this list is interesting not so much as a ranking but it helps the average fan keep track of all the player movement in the transfer portal. With TN / ND 6 and 7, we may be seeing our E8 opposition.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I agree with the top 3 in the order listed, I have to wonder if Stanford will end up starting 5 forwards. They really don’t have a pg on the current roster, which now lists Haley Jones as a guard. There’s a couple guards in the incoming freshman class, but asking a freshman to step in and start at pg in the Pac-12 is one heck of a challenge.

With all the talent on Stanford’s roster, Tara hasn’t been able to effectively replace Kianna Williams from their 2021 championship team. Now, after losing Wilson and the Hull sisters, along with a couple guard transfers, there is a dearth of backcourt players in Palo Alto.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I agree with the top 3 in the order listed, I have to wonder if Stanford will end up starting 5 forwards. They really don’t have a pg on the current roster, which now lists Haley Jones as a guard. There’s a couple guards in the incoming freshman class, but asking a freshman to step in and start at pg in the Pac-12 is one heck of a challenge.

With all the talent on Stanford’s roster, Tara hasn’t been able to effectively replace Kianna Williams from their 2021 championship team. Now, after losing Wilson and the Hull sisters, along with a couple guard transfers, there is a dearth of backcourt players in Palo Alto.
Maybe Lauren Betts can fill in at PG lol

Reaction Score
Every time I defend Kim Mulkey, a little part of my soul dies, but LSU at 22 is disrespectful.
Ditto. No one at Baylor followed her to LSU. That says a lot.

Still, she built two solid programs. It remains to be seen whether she can build a team culture out of transfers one more time. She’s done it before.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Ditto. No one at Baylor followed her to LSU. That says a lot.

Still, she built two solid programs. It remains to be seen whether she can build a team culture out of transfers one more time. She’s done it before.
Gusters and Ursin followed her from Baylor to LSU, but, from the sounds of it, Ursin had to school between LSU and the degree she wanted, and she went to Tulane for the degree. Messer, Mitchell, and Rice came, too, if we want to extend that into coaches.

I think if they weren't on track to graduate this year and only had mediocre draft prospects, Smith and Egbo would have considered following her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yeah, it’s clickbait but what else are we going to talk about?

Kim is working that portal. She knows that fishing in the portal for plug and play veteran players that can help her NOW, means the difference between being competitive and being an "also ran" until she can sufficiently stock her roster from high school commitments.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Pretty good list IMO at this point in time. I'd put Maryland, Virginia Tech, Baylor and Nebraska all higher and probably drop Iowa some.

Surprised there was no mention of Taylor Jones going to Texas, as she's one of the better transfers this off-season and gives Texas a really talented post player.

Reaction Score
Pretty good list IMO at this point in time. I'd put Maryland, Virginia Tech, Baylor and Nebraska all higher and probably drop Iowa some.

Surprised there was no mention of Taylor Jones going to Texas, as she's one of the better transfers this off-season and gives Texas a really talented post player.
With the players Baylor got from portal, the returning players of Bickle, Owens, Asberry and Andrews and good recruiting class with #17 recruit, they will be much higher than # 20.

Reaction Score
Cremepuff has conveniently, again, left Aubrey out of his cast of effective players for UConn. Also, no mention of DeBerry.

Reaction Score
I would put SC and UCONN 1&2. After that, next season appears to be wide open.

I would disagree with Cream’s opening line under the Husky’s …
“Not much has changed…….” The team has lost 3 stars..the leading scorer, the leader in rebounds and assists and (what many think) the player who was a big part of keeping this team together ….the glue. Although, they are still loaded with talent, At this point, we have no idea how successful the team will be in replacing these losses. But, quite a bit has changed.

Reaction Score
With the players Baylor got from portal, the returning players of Bickle, Owens, Asberry and Andrews and good recruiting class with #17 recruit, they will be much higher than # 20.
Baylor doesn't have a "true" big at this time which may explain the lower than expected ranking.

Reaction Score
The account of Maryland’s transfer woes over the past two years really puts things into context. Frese has had to cobble together teams and she’s done a lot with what she was able to scrape together. But when it came down to crunch time in the tournament, they folded each time. To win the really high pressure games at the end, you need a team, not just a collection of players.

Reaction Score
Gusters and Ursin followed her from Baylor to LSU, but, from the sounds of it, Ursin had to school between LSU and the degree she wanted, and she went to Tulane for the degree. Messer, Mitchell, and Rice came, too, if we want to extend that into coaches.

I think if they weren't on track to graduate this year and only had mediocre draft prospects, Smith and Egbo would have considered following her.
Fair enough. I was mainly thinking of Smith and Ursin. When it came down to it they had other priorities. As for Egbo, I don’t believe she’s have gone to LSU no matter what.

Reaction Score
Some surprises; Nebraska and South Dakota State. Nebraska played well all year and barely cracked the Top 25. I think they got ranked once or twice and then after a loss, they were done. Really huge surprise. LSU ranked that low? Shocked. I am really glad to see Princeton getting the love. No BYU? ;)

Reaction Score

Hannah Jump is a guard she will be a sr and Haley Jones too. Then the other 3 starters should be: Brink/Belibi/Betts. Pretty deadly lineup.

Reaction Score
I like Iowa State and Oklahoma to be stronger and
stronger next year. I was surprised about how much
North Carolina State has reloaded for next year. The
other school (IMO) that will be more of a threat in March/April
is Notre Dame. N.D. will be more "seasoned" and Coach
Ivey will have another year to blend the players she
wants to her brand of WBB! Overall... It should be a great year.
GO HUSKIES... beat ... well... beat everyone! ( But be somewhat
mindful of Creighton, a good team , and no longer a sleeper in
the BIG EAST.... Morgan Maley is a fine player! ) Z

Reaction Score
I totally agree. I loved watching Creighton, and was so pleased to see the run they made in the tournament. The game against Iowa was wonderful.

Marquette, Villanova, and DePaul also look to be important games. I have always enjoyed watching Marquette play, and Megan Duffy has done wonders over there. I'll miss Lauren Van Kleunen. She was a class act in a venerable tradition -- the smallish post player who's not quite fast enough to match up and yet always seems to find a way. Others in that mold are Naz Hillmon, Ashley Joens, Aneesa Morrow, and they are all wonderful to watch.

Villanova and Maddie Siegrist also deserve our respect. She is a tremendous 3 who's forced to play 4 or even 5, and still manages to be awesome. I hope they can find replacements for Garzon and Herlihy and let Siegrist really shine.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hannah Jump is a guard she will be a sr and Haley Jones too. Then the other 3 starters should be: Brink/Belibi/Betts. Pretty deadly lineup.
Haley Jones is a forward, albeit one with a good handle and an excellent passer. Jump is a catch and shoot 2-guard. I don’t see a pg anywhere, or a g/w who can create on the perimeter like the Hull sisters. Also, there is no way Tara will start three post players.

Reaction Score
I would put SC and UCONN 1&2. After that, next season appears to be wide open.

I would disagree with Cream’s opening line under the Husky’s …
“Not much has changed…….” The team has lost 3 stars..the leading scorer, the leader in rebounds and assists and (what many think) the player who was a big part of keeping this team together ….the glue. Although, they are still loaded with talent, At this point, we have no idea how successful the team will be in replacing these losses. But, quite a bit has changed.

Changed yes. Improved. The bulk of the talent on the roster last year were freshman and sophomores. They are now sophomores and juniors. There is not one thing the departing players could do that those that remain can't match and exceed. It's not a put down of the seniors. It's praise for who is left.

Reaction Score
Haley Jones is a forward, albeit one with a good handle and an excellent passer. Jump is a catch and shoot 2-guard. I don’t see a pg anywhere, or a g/w who can create on the perimeter like the Hull sisters. Also, there is no way Tara will start three post players.
That's exactly how I see it. Also, I think Betts will disappoint initially. I've seen a few games, and she's got good skills on O and D, but not much fire. It may take her more than one season to find some fire.

Haley Jones can do anything, even [maybe] pg, but if Tara ties her down to that role you may lose too much of the rest of her game. Jump showed the shortcomings of her game in the FF. She's serviceable, but not yet competitive with the teams Stanford needs to compete with at the end of the year. She might develop into such a player by March, but that's a big if.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That's exactly how I see it. Also, I think Betts will disappoint initially. I've seen a few games, and she's got good skills on O and D, but not much fire. It may take her more than one season to find some fire.

Haley Jones can do anything, even [maybe] pg, but if Tara ties her down to that role you may lose too much of the rest of her game. Jump showed the shortcomings of her game in the FF. She's serviceable, but not yet competitive with the teams Stanford needs to compete with at the end of the year. She might develop into such a player by March, but that's a big if.
As good as Jones is, you can’t play her at pg. She’s an average outside shooter. Her strength is from the high post into the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom